Which Is The Best Concrete Stain? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Which is the best Concrete stain?

I have a concrete walkway that exterior paint and stain will not last very long on. I now realize from doing some research that I had not used a seperate primer or adhesive of any kind but rather porch paint that had primer mixed in it. Anyways, I have heard that if I use Muriatic acid to prep it then the stain will adhere much better. So I have a few questions now. Does anybody recommend this process of using Muriatic Acid first? If so how can I protect my neighbors walkway from anything getting onto it when I go to rinse off MY walkway? Will a plastic tarp surfice? Next question is after using the Muriatic acid should I use a primer next or just go ahead and stain? And finally, which concrete stain is the best? I have heard that Sherwin Williams H&C is too expensive for what its worth and a lot of mixed reviews. I also see Behr has a deep base Concrete stain with a Siliconized acrylic formula but that has a rating on homedepot.ca of 3.8 out of 5. Behr also has a product called DeckOver which has only a 3 out of 5 rating on that site too. So should I ignore bad reviews since some people may be unhappy cause they can't prep properly or what should I do? Any help is appreciated.
stardj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 06:54 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,624

Let me just say that any horizontal surface whether it be a deck, walk, driveway, etc. has a hard time holding any type of coating no matter how much prep is done. Rain water lays on top and can migrate through the coating causing premature failure.

I've had great success with the H & C concrete stain. I've used in on my own patio and re-coat every 5 years. It has never peeled. It takes a beating from shoveling snow but the wear is minimal. I power washed (no muriatic acid) originally and applied two coats. Now, I power wash every year just to get the mold and mildew off, and, like I said, I re-coat every 5 years. It has been a great system for me.

No matter what you choose at this point, you will have to completely remove any old paint and as much stain as you can to get down to a sound surface that will accept a new coating. But, if you have water issues where it lays on the surface for hours on end, it will be tough to keep anything on it for very long.
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 616

Our go to masonry Stain is h&c. I have never had an issue with it and have never seen it peel if applied correct. You will have to remove the old failed coating first.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (10-06-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
...You will have to remove the old failed coating first.

This is the key. Muriatic acid will etch bare concrete and make it better able to accept a coating. It does nothing helpful to previous coatings.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement