Are You Sure You Are Even Here! - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree20Likes

Old 04-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 5,798

Are you sure you are even here!

We're More Likely Than Not Living In A Computer Simulation, MIT Professor Suggests

https://www.iflscience.com/technolog...ssor-suggests/

I have always found science fiction interesting. Not the Alien type of movies, but more like StarTrek. The Matrix trilogy was absolutely captivating.

When you read these articles from so called experts, it makes you think,
could it be? Could everything you know to exist be a computer simulation. Everything you can see, hear, touch, taste and smell is computer generated for you.

One thing I know for sure, and that is it will take someone smarter than me to figure it out! But in the mean time, maybe someone could turn down the pain receptors a notch or or two. I recently developed a hair line crack in a tooth. It was below the gum line and undetectable, even by Xray.
It got infected, and I was in complete agony for about 6 weeks until I finally had it pulled! I guess pain adds to the life-like simulation!
Dave Sal and ZZZZZ like this.
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,176

Re: Are you sure you are even here!

Yup, the entire universe as we it know it is some alien kid's high school science project.

Good work, kid, A+!

Yodaman likes this.

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 04-14-2019 at 10:35 AM.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
Property Mgt/Maint

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, the ultimate social experiment to see if we self destruct! The odds are looking favorable!
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,636

There is a difference between a science experiment, and a CGI program.

A program can be reset, and everyone is perfect, alive, and healthy again.

I want a reset of my life.

So I can not make so many mistakes that cost me limbs, and body parts.

As for this being an experiment, I have thought of that many times, like we are just a kids ant farm.

ED
Yodaman likes this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 594

I actually have a book I published back in January that has us only alive in dreams. Not the same, but a similar idea.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,384

Science? The guy is a philosophy professor.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,022

The truly smart (real) scientist will develop a clever experiment to prove or disprove that theory.

Until then, it's just philosophy. Or maybe better described as religion; something you can choose to believe, or not, but for which there is no evidence, and presently no known way of getting evidence.

Almost by definition, in both cases, we can't know the answer. And that's OK. We don't have to pretend we know everything.

Why do people work so hard to avoid simply saying "I don't know"?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #8
JUSTA MEMBER

I DON'T KNOW.

I think , maybe because they don't want to seem stupid.

ED
Old 04-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
Property Mgt/Maint

15 Irrefutable Reasons Why We Might Be Living in a Simulation

https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/15-i...imulation.html

"What we perceive as reality is in fact partly a simulation created by our brains (using our past experiences) to help us process the fragments of data that we’re receiving."

This is my excuse for leaving words out of my posts. The words will be there when I originally write it. They will also be there when I post it and proof read it. But if I look at again thirty one minutes later, it will have missing words. LoL.
Nothing new really, I have been doing since grade school!
ZZZZZ likes this.

Last edited by Yodaman; 04-14-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,702

Quasi-science IMO. Yes, half the things we "think" we see (even hear, taste, smell, and touch/feel) are "invented," but it's done by our brain to fill-in the things it doesn't see as important, doesn't want to devote resources to, or just plain doesn't catch.

The argument in the OP article is pretty sketchy - see Schrodinger's Cat theory if you really want to get into "good" thought experiments on "reality" IMO

This last article is worse IMO:

1. People are stupid and have bad memories - has nothing to do with "changing the past," it has more to do with "No child left behind" heh

2. We /just now/ got a "probe" out of our own solar system last year. Everything else outside our solar system is based upon "visual" observation, which is millions, even billions, of years behind "real time" because of the vast distances that radiation (light, heat, etc.) has to travel before it reaches us. Even if there are advanced civilizations out there, we probably won't find them from Earth because of that. If/when we figure-out how to fold space-time (not just traveling at light speed,) and still don't find anything, THEN we'll actually be able to say we've found nothing. Until then, the universe is simply too vast to make any kind of determination.

3. Total hog-wash. See quantum mechanics.

4. No. Their bull**** premise is debunked by the very article they linked, good grief. Simply because DNA runs on a similar 2-option (basically on or off) system as binary, does not make computer viruses. It would take a HUMAN to "translate" the genetic "switches" to binary code as noted in the article they reference: "so that when a gene sequencer analyzes it the resulting data becomes a program that corrupts gene-sequencing software and takes control of the underlying computer."

5. Total horse crap. We're not on the cusp of environmental chaos, in fact we're in a rather unprecedented period of environmental stability on Earth right now...

6. Good grief. Why not argue that because video recorders and televisions can produce "realistic" pixels the world is actually just a movie production while you're at it? Us humans work hard to make higher and higher DPI monitors and games because we /want/ it to look realistic, same reason we made higher and higher DPI photographs, we also make higher and higher DPI telescopes...

7. LOL...

8. The LHC has not detected what we would expect it to detect if a simple string theory model were accurate, which probably means that either string theory isn’t accurate, or the particular version of string theory we accept needs to be more complex. -- In any event, you cannot use a "creation" of software code comparison to "base level" physics, all you're doing is super-imposing something you understand, over something that you can't explain. The math for string theory is more problematic than the math for a singularity in a black hole, trying to explain it with a man-made software is little more than an analogical lie for laymen.

9. We don't have "strict laws" - we have evidence of theoretical rules that generally hold true. Even if there's any comparison to the "rules" in video games, it is nothing more than, again, trying to superimpose a man-made invention in order to claim understanding - aka another analogical lie for laymen.

10. True. It's also not possible to prove we are living in one so it's a moot argument.

11. There is no longer such thing as a "goldilocks zone." There is liquid water on Pluto for crying out loud - whomever made this one up might want to stop worrying about this kind of ridiculousness and catch up... We also find complex organic compounds on extra-solar asteroids and comets - oh and we've also found earth based bacteria can survive in ice for millions of years, oh and in space too.

12. Human psychology far better explains the paranormal than any "we're in a simulation" silliness...

-- Sorry, I suppose I'm a bit hostile on the subject. I just really hate this kind of BS because it dumbs people down and frankly there's enough stupid on the planet already >.<
dd57chevy likes this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)

Last edited by Mystriss; 04-14-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #11
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 880

Like I have said before, no one has ever actually visually seen YOU. People can see our body, but our body isn't US. As I have said in the past, if the smartest person in this world were to dissect you one atom at a time, they would never find, YOU. I am not directing this post toward any one person. just so no one thinks I am picking on any one.

Look at your hands, are your hands YOU? Are your feet you? No and not one single part of your body is YOU. If that smartest person in the world went one atom at a time through your brain, they would never found YOU.

What exactly is LIFE, not a biological explanation, but what actually is LIFE. Why do we have the ability to think?

There are billions of the little sperm being released each time a man and woman have relations. Just think, out of all the billions of potential people, YOU, are the one who made it into this world.
Yodaman and dd57chevy like this.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Like I have said before, no one has ever actually visually seen YOU. People can see our body, but our body isn't US. As I have said in the past, if the smartest person in this world were to dissect you one atom at a time, they would never find, YOU. I am not directing this post toward any one person. just so no one thinks I am picking on any one.

Look at your hands, are your hands YOU? Are your feet you? No and not one single part of your body is YOU. If that smartest person in the world went one atom at a time through your brain, they would never found YOU.

What exactly is LIFE, not a biological explanation, but what actually is LIFE. Why do we have the ability to think?

There are billions of the little sperm being released each time a man and woman have relations. Just think, out of all the billions of potential people, YOU, are the one who made it into this world.

Please stop. You're making my head hurt.
BigJim likes this.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #13
JUSTA MEMBER

Jim: It needs divided into categories, and sub categories.

There is plant life, Animal life, Human life. And so on.

As far as we know humans are the smartest .

But I wonder how smart we really are, fighting amongst ourselves over POLITICS, RELIGION, NATIONALITY, GENDER, even what is appealing.

Sheesh, can't people accept that diversity is what makes life worth getting up for everyday.

I sometimes think that dogs are smarter than us, they have us attending them, feeding them, providing safe warm sleeping quarters, even many of us pay more to treat them when ill, than we would spend on ourselves in the same predicament.

Is life, just existence, or is it more complicated, by emotions, language, and compassion?

ED
Yodaman likes this.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,228

I scream, so I am.

The others in the Dark Tower concur.
lenaitch, de-nagorg and Yodaman like this.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #15
Property Mgt/Maint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
-- Sorry, I suppose I'm a bit hostile on the subject. I just really hate this kind of BS because it dumbs people down and frankly there's enough stupid on the planet already >.<
LOL , tell us how you really feel!
I would guess man has been contemplating the origins of his existence since the awareness of his own existence.
I would also agree many things tend to dumb down the population, like over bearing gov'ts, or even technology itself.

But I don't agree that discussing the possibilities that our existence may not be what we perceive it to be as a dumbing-down execise.
de-nagorg likes this.

Last edited by Yodaman; 04-15-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement