What's The Worst Earthquake You've Experienced? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree18Likes

Old 05-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,496

What's the worst earthquake you've experienced?

In some parts of the world, earthquakes are a part of life, and they are here in California. I've been through at least one serious enough to notice for at least every one of the years I've lived here.

The worst by way of magnitude was back in 1991 or '92 up by Landers, a small town in the desert in California, which struck before dawn and it had a magnitude of about 7.4. It was nasty, but though it caused locally heavy damage, it didn't cause problems in my immediate 'hood, though I'll never forget the floor shaking and the car alarms going off.

The worst by way of damage was the Martin Luther King Jr. Day Earthquake in January of 1994. I was in school at the time, and us students, anticipating a day off, had a fine old time hoisting a few to MLK. I got up at four am, and after answering nature's call, went back to bed, and looked at the clock. About four-thirty am. Suddenly the familiar sound and feel of the first waves of an earthquake vibrated the floor, then got stronger and stronger. I looked out the bedroom window and my roomies - all from China -- were standing outside in the frigid night air, while my car was bouncing up and down on its springs right next to them. In the distance, high tension lines arced, with green fire, and this buzzing, hissing booming sound.

We didn't suffer damage where I was, but many many others weren't so lucky.

So, how about the rest of you? Anyone go through an 8.0 or bigger?
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 04:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,870

Re: What's the worst earthquake you've experienced?

This one:

It was about 13 miles from my house and shallow. Still wasn't nearly as bad (damage wise) as I thought it was going to be during it. In the video you can hear the "freight train" sound of it - that's what I remember most, it was so loud. I kind of laugh because of what I was thinking during it because it lasted forever (the official duration's range from minute and a half to six minutes) - "Awww man, I knew I shoulda gone to the bathroom, stupid science channel..." "Great, now I'm going to pee the bed after I'm crushed by the ceiling..." and "No! I absolutely am NOT running out of the house naked!" LOL

We're still having pretty big aftershocks; had a 4.0 on Tuesday evening, and a little one last night. I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't have a bunch of damage, entire neighborhoods were red tagged after this thing (including a house my folks had in Anchorage, further away from the epicenter, when I was 7 or so,) friends of the family out here are still waiting on the ground to thaw so they can have their foundation's inspected, one friend of the family's has walls caved in - the quake reverberated off the mountain's in the valley and completely trashed their house. (Luckily they were snow birding out of state so weren't home, they're headed up next week to decide if they're going to bulldoze it and start over or if they can save it.)
DoomsDave likes this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mystriss For This Useful Post:
DoomsDave (05-02-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 05:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,632

I've never been through one that was severe enough to cause any damage where I lived but a buddy went through one in Los Angeles that did some psychological damage to him - he was in college and he and some other guys were standing around drinking on a Friday afternoon when one hit. This particular quake dropped the ground level an inch. He said it was unbelievable how scary it was to be buzzed up and all of the sudden not have the floor immediately beneath his feet.
Nik333 and DoomsDave like this.
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 05:26 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,798

Like a 5.5. I was on a roof in WV at the time. Thankfully it was a shallow pitch and one story.
SPS-1 and DoomsDave like this.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:40 AM   #5

The one that's got me worried is that New Madrid fault in Missouri.

In 1811 and 1812 there were earthquakes supposedly so bad there that the Mississippi river flowed in reverse at one point.

I drove across the Miss in 1994 and I remember how HUGE it was, how it looked almost like a lake it was so wide, then, saw how swift the current is, and imagined it going backwards.

All I saw in New Madrid and environs were these wonderful brick houses, that will turn into perfect burial cairns for the occupants if they collapse. I don't think you can really prepare for a really bad earthquake, but you can be sorta unprepared on the one hand, and flat-footed unaware/don't care unprepared on the other, and I fear in MO they might be the latter. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 954

WOW. Crazy stuff.

I am on solid granite bedrock and no quakes here.

My Gal has a rental Condo in Vancouver and wants to go there but no way I am leaving after seeing that video. Vancouver apparently is going to have a big one and has had them a long time ago.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:02 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,326

In California, we grow up with earthquakes, practicing getting under your desk at school, but in two situations I was responsible for patients.

One 6.2 was at Stanford Med Ctr. The head nurse (from NY) yelled "save yourself!" & climbed under her desk. I remembered the large glass IV bottles hanging over the patients' heads. I think we could hear them banging together. As I went down the looong hall the ground seemed to move in waves. I just pushed the IV poles away from the patients.

During another - 5.5, I had hurt my back at work & took an "easier" assignment caring for a cognitively impaired 8 yr-old boy with seizures in a body cast & leg casts. When the earthquake struck, I noriced the entire upstairs apt was glass windows. I carried him down the stairs; he was scared & bit my shoulder during this. We sat at the bottom of the stairs, outside. I didn't want to go out further unless the building started to fall because of possible flying power lines. No good option. That was exhausting. He was crying due to fright. The casts were heavy. I had to be tested because of the bite. I've always been an adrenaline junkie.

When I worked at UCLA, they told us the building, as big as the Pentagon, was on rollers.
DoomsDave likes this.

Last edited by Nik333; 05-02-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nik333 For This Useful Post:
DoomsDave (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 08:04 AM   #8
Hvac Pro

I would rather have the cold. I can always put on more clothes.

No quakin or shakin or hurrycanes where I am.
DoomsDave likes this.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post

Can't blame you for hoping, but I'd do some research to be sure that you're not in a New Madrid fault zone, or worse the Pacific Northwest . . . .
Old 05-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #10
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,872

Where I live is on the outer edges of the Greater Yellowstone Caldera, So there are many temblors yearly, none have ever been strong.

But lying in bed one night and the whole place shook a bit, on the news the next day was a report of a tremor in the park.

And Yuri, it's a granite bedrock here, but the waves do travel great distances.

So we feel them at times.

If Yellowstone ever really erupts, it will change life worldwide, watched a program on Discovery a few years ago, that stated such.

ED
DoomsDave likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Where I live is on the outer edges of the Greater Yellowstone Caldera, So there are many temblors yearly, none have ever been strong.

But lying in bed one night and the whole place shook a bit, on the news the next day was a report of a tremor in the park.

And Yuri, it's a granite bedrock here, but the waves do travel great distances.

So we feel them at times.

If Yellowstone ever really erupts, it will change life worldwide, watched a program on Discovery a few years ago, that stated such.

ED
Now, Mister, or Madame Yellowstone crater, don't be in a big old hurry to go off and erupt now, hear? Maybe find a constructive way to use up that pent-up energy . . . . . .
The Following User Says Thank You to DoomsDave For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 754

I don't think I'll win any awards for the strongest quake, but I was in Tokyo and got woken up by a maybe 3 or 4 magnitude quake, got on a plane and flew to Seattle just in time for the Nisqually Quake (mag 6.8) so I got to experience two earthquakes in one day!
de-nagorg likes this.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
Hvac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDave View Post
Can't blame you for hoping, but I'd do some research to be sure that you're not in a New Madrid fault zone, or worse the Pacific Northwest . . . .
One was very small and in 1909. That was B4 my ancestors left the Rus/Ukraine for a better life in Canada.

We do get the odd tornado and had a very bad one in Alberta a few years ago. I don't know why trailer parks attract them like a magnet ( metal roofs ) ? but it got whacked.

It seems we got a very minor one that nobody noticed ( probably caused by Potash mining in Saskatchewan). We need flood insurance not earthquake insurance.

http://www.gendisasters.com/manitoba...quake-may-1909

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...138550924.html
DoomsDave likes this.

Last edited by yuri; 05-02-2019 at 10:44 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post

It's not scary, Yuri. I don't think I've heard you express fear before. CO is scary! I haven't felt a quake in 11 yrs. I would guess there isn't much death from quakes, here, at least. We lived pretty much on the San Andreas fault. Crystal Springs Reservoir is in that fault. Gorgeous place.
DoomsDave likes this.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
It's not scary, Yuri. I don't think I've heard you express fear before. CO is scary! I haven't felt a quake in 11 yrs. I would guess there isn't much death from quakes, here, at least. We lived pretty much on the San Andreas fault. Crystal Springs Reservoir is in that fault. Gorgeous place.
I think a big reason is our building codes, where an effort is at least made for safety. (Though my first California house wasn't even bolted to the foundation! )

Remember that quake in Armenia, where 25,000 - 50,000 died in a 6.8? The buildings were made of bad concrete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Armenian_earthquake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement