Tv Help - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Dave Sal
  • 1 Post By ktownskier

Old 12-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 90

Tv help

Looking at getting a new tv but when walking around and looking at everything I just get lost. I go from seeing big name brands to others that I have never heard of before. Then you have ones that say Roku tv or QLED OLED etc. several years ago I use to be all about technology but now I’m dumber then a rock with this.

So please school me with today’s tv on what to look for, what it all means, what to stay away from. What I know I want is a min 65” LED. Currently we do have cable (Comcast) and use a amazon fire stick as well. Still dumb as a rock when it comes with if I should switch to all streaming or not so that’s something I am trying to figure out as well, but I figured start with finding or getting input on tvs these days.
EWC88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 30,184

Re: Tv help

Roku is similar to the fire stick.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 90

One better then the other?
EWC88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,388

I think the main things are still resolution and refresh rate. As long as it's a smart TV (internet ready), you can stream just about anything you want regardless of whether the TV comes with it already.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 788

Yesterday was supposed to be the best deals for TVs, but I seem to remember SuperBowl weekend has real good deals too.

Just saw a news snippet, it's been known for a while by everybody but the FBI just released a statement that smartTVs are easily hacked into.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 918

@3onthetree , EVERYTHING is easy to hack into if someone is really interested in what's behind the firewall.

Although I am not sure what what hacking into a Smart TV will get you. Assuming of course you have sufficiently strong passwords on the rest of your devices and the security software is updated frequently.

And of course your logins for any streaming service are strong and varied as well. Don't use the same password for everything, get a password manager that will generate a 15 key password for every site you need to log into. And keep track of it for you. Google Chrome has one built in to it.

And yes, the time from New Years to Super Bowl weekend is supposed to be the best time to buy a TV.

But back to the original questions that @EWC88 asked.

Roku, Firestick, Sling, Hulu, etc are all types of streaming services or in other words, away of getting you content provided your TV is connected to the internet. This is what is called a SMARTV or SMART TV. They are similar to Cable or Satellite. but they are built into the TV and not a separate box. Not all TV's are Smart TV's and not all Smart TV's have similar app's built into them. But, depending on the TV, you may be able to add more.
@stick\shift is correct. Resolution and Refresh Rate are King. Yes, some other features are important, but, you need to concentrate on those two features first.

Resolution is one of the most common specifications used to sell TVs, partly because "4K" and "8K" sound really high-tech and impressive. However, resolution is not the most important ingredient in picture quality. Just because a TV has higher resolution than another, doesn't always mean it's looks better. It might, but not always, and for reasons that have little to do with resolution. A TV with better high dynamic range (HDR) performance, a better overall contrast ratio or better color will look better than one that just has more pixels. (I copied this from a c/net article, here's a link to the full article.)

Next is refresh rate. Ever notice a flicker from fluorescent tubes? That is because their "Refresh Rate" is 60 times a second, the same as electric current. So, you are able to see a flicker as they turn off and on 60 times a second.

It is similar for a TV. The slower the refresh rate, the more lag you notice in a football pass or an actor running across the screen. Or that scene where Keanu Reeves is dogging bullets as Neo, the bullet tracks would seem off.

Most TV's were refreshed at 50/60 times a second. Now, 120 is the most common and 240 is growing.

Here is another c/net article explaining it better than I can.

All TV's require some form of light source to get the image to you. LG's OLED TV's have an Organic Light Emitting Diode (O-LED) that emits light on it's own.

Samsung's QLED is not the same type of TV. OLED TV is an actual LED TV, while most other TV's are LCD, including QLED. LG's OLED TV performs much better than any other TV it is compared too. Including the QLED.

Read this article to better understand the difference.

The last TV I bought was a 55" Samsung SmartTV. The QLED were too expensive for me. It is a 4K UHD HDR TV with a 120 refresh rate. We love it.

It has 3 HDMI ports, with one being an ARC type which is used for the audio portion and goes from the TV to the sound bar. (Which I highly recommend getting, we have a 5.2 system from Vizio. I wish it had 4 HDMI ports. It does have a couple of USB ports which is where I could plug in some USB devices, like a keyboard.

My next TV will be a 65" TV.
It will be at least 4K UHD HDR and have (hopefully) a 240 refresh rate. It will be a smart TV. And it will have 3 HDMI ports plus one ARC HDMI port. Wired and Wireless capabilities. Picture in Picture. And, probably LG OLED if I can get one in my price range. Otherwise Samsung or Vizio. Have to do more research on the other brands but, they have been getting good reviews.

Just my views on TV's these days. And I have had them from a 9" black and white up to a 65" console projector. My first flat panel was a $2100 40" Samsung I bought back around 1999. And yes, you read that correctly. $2,100. I still have it and it is still working. 20 years later. My first 4K was from LG and it was $500 50" display and it was barebones. No SmarTV, only two HDMI ports. No USB. But, it has a good picture. And, I can use chromecast for streaming.

My current TV i bought last year. 55" Samsung 4K UHD, HDR as I mentioned. And I paid $500. I wonder if my next TV will also be $500?

ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 262

Suggest you visit AVSForum for great info about all things audio / video.

https://www.avsforum.com/best-qled-tvs/
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,562

While Ktownskier is generally correct, let me jump in here since I havent used a dedicated 'computer' monitor in over 10 years.

I have been using LCD/LED TV's...

50" should be your smallest size unless its for a kitchen or a bathroom...

4K @60hz is fine for TV watching... even high paced football games... I currently run (3) 50" 4K TV's @60hz on my computer, and have never experienced ghosting or lag while gaming... (Battlefield, GTAV, World of Warships, FarCry, Just Cause Ect)

90% of TVs sold today are smart Tvs, meaning they will connect via wifi or ethernet to your home network and you can access Youtube, netflix, **** sites lol.. Or if you have your own media server - plex.

I have had good luck with Insignia TV's, though I am finding while they can run 4K streamed from Netflix ok, streamed from plex seems to sometimes have issues.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:15 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 918

Not sure where you are planning on putting the TV, but here are some guidelines from "them" for viewing distances for a 65" 4K TV.

THX ideal recommended distance: 6.5ft (40 viewing angle)
THX max recommended distance: 7.3ft (36 viewing angle)
SMPTE max recommended distance: 8.8ft (30 viewing angle)
THX max acceptable distance: 10.2ft (26 viewing angle)
Visual acuity distance: 3.8ft
This is the distance where your eyes can see the individual pixels.

This is the site for the calculator I used: https://www.inchcalculator.com/tv-si...ce-calculator/

You can do it from where you sit to where you want the TV to determine what size TV you will need.

Or, you can find the best viewing angle and distance for the TV you already own.

And, @That Guy , what did you think I got wrong? Just curious.
Dave Sal likes this.

ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
adam

Rewards Points: 160

"Still dumb as a rock when it comes with if I should switch to all streaming or not so that’s something I am trying to figure out as well"

Whether you should switch to all streaming usually depends upon whether they have the TV channels that you prefer to watch. For instance, some people insist on having the local channels to get local news, etc. ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, PBS are all local channels. Other people might want to watch CNN or Fox News 24/7.

So, what you should probably consider is the channel package or content that the streaming service offers because they are all different. If the streaming service has the channel package that you're content with, then you might want to switch to streaming. Or perhaps have a combination of streaming and conventional TV like cable or satellite for a bit. Then decide if streaming will satisfy your viewing needs. Some folks subscribe to multiple streaming services to complete their channel package.

Last edited by adamz; 12-06-2019 at 03:20 PM.
adamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #11

@ktownskier in over 10 years of using TVs as computer monitors, and the last 5ish years using TV's with 60hz refresh rates, I have not noticed any lag or ghosting while gaming.

(I use 60hz cause theyre cheaper - since I am buying 3 at once)
Old 12-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 8,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
While Ktownskier is generally correct, let me jump in here since I havent used a dedicated 'computer' monitor in over 10 years.

I have been using LCD/LED TV's...

50" should be your smallest size unless its for a kitchen or a bathroom...

4K @60hz is fine for TV watching... even high paced football games... I currently run (3) 50" 4K TV's @60hz on my computer, and have never experienced ghosting or lag while gaming... (Battlefield, GTAV, World of Warships, FarCry, Just Cause Ect)

90% of TVs sold today are smart Tvs, meaning they will connect via wifi or ethernet to your home network and you can access Youtube, netflix, **** sites lol.. Or if you have your own media server - plex.

I have had good luck with Insignia TV's, though I am finding while they can run 4K streamed from Netflix ok, streamed from plex seems to sometimes have issues.
Hmm. How do you do one for a computer monitor?

Life is one long teaching moment.
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDave View Post
Hmm. How do you do one for a computer monitor?
HDMI. Almost all desktops in the last 5 years have an HDMI port, or you can use a HDMI DVI adapter. (DVI is the big white connector)

Every video card out there has atleast 3 HDMI ports, I think mine has 4 (Nvidia 1080 GTX) It runs all 3 TV's @ 4K
Old 12-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,255

I'm one who doesn't like 'Smart' TV's. Just buy the TV you want and then the Roku or Firestick or what-have-you. Doesn't cost much, and you can upgrade/replace later with ease.
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,866

Sometimes the smart TVs are convenient, since everything is in the one box. But there's no guarantee that the TV manufacturer will update to include the latest streaming app, like Disney+ or whatever. The Fire sticks and Rokus are typically better supported in that manner.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement