Score! Found An Old Can Of MEK In The Hardware Store - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Druidia

Old 12-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,598

Score! Found an old can of MEK in the hardware store

The big-box stores stopped selling it around here some time after the last can I bought. It's the only thing that'll get some plastics clean, without turning them gummy. Things like boat fenders and shore power cords.

I grabbed the can as soon as I saw it in the hardware store. But when I read the receipt at home, it said "MEK Substitute." Darn! I went down cellar to get the can, so I could return it.

But no, it says 100% MEK right on the can. It's pretty dusty, too. Must be old stock. But apparently the hardware store has switched to selling the "substitute" now. I'll have to go back and see if there's any other old stock kicking around.

I had the same luck in an old-time paint store somewhere along the coast of Maine or Canada once. Came across some tin-based bottom paint. Score! They'd banned that stuff when I was a kid!

What was your best "find" in old stock?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 263

Re: Score! Found an old can of MEK in the hardware store

I know I found an old stock treasure before at a Hardware store but that was many years ago maybe so I can't remember right now.

I do remember, because it was just this year, getting a Martha Stewart scoring board for $12 at a liquidation store. That item had been discontinued so it was selling up to over a hundred sometimes on Amazon and eBay.

https://www.amazon.com/Martha-Stewar.../dp/B0036FDKZS
CaptTom likes this.
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 09:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,251

I saw 100% pure M.E.K. in Lowe's when I was in Bangor last month vising family. I think it was Jasco brand.

I'm never lucky enough to find old stock of anything. I take that back. I built a cyclonic shop vac system and needed filters. They typically go for $150 to $200. Did a search on ebay one night and someone had just posted one with fire retardant coating for $30 BIN. When it arrived, the date on the box and filter was from several years prior but it was never used and in perfect condition. I had an ebay search for a few years waiting for another one to become available at a good price. Never happened so I dropped $112 on another one so I could finish the vacuum.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,830

I hadn't heard of a MEK substitute before this thread.
Across the mountain there is an old hardware store. I haven't been in it in about 10 yrs but the upper shelves in the paint dept have cans of paint with labels I hadn't seen in 30+ yrs. Maybe they are just for display purposes but there were several dozen cans.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,598

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHouse75 View Post
I saw 100% pure M.E.K. in Lowe's when I was in Bangor last month vising family. I think it was Jasco brand.
I'll check if I'm up that way. The guy I asked at our local Lowe's said they stopped selling it not too long ago. Same answer at HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
I hadn't heard of a MEK substitute before this thread.
You will. Apparently the lawyers-that-be have decided that homeowners and DIY'ers can't be trusted with chemicals which actually work any more.

I assume it's the same folks who think we can't be trusted with six-gallon gas cans, and now sell only five-gallon ones. I'm not really sure what they're afraid we're going to do with that extra gallon...
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #6
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,830

I don't recall any 6 gallon cans but still have some of the 5.25 gallon and 1.25 gallon cans.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement