The Real Cost Of Meat - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree39Likes

Old 11-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 579

The Real Cost Of Meat

I have been weighing beef, pork and chicken after its been cooked and I have seen weight loss from 30 to 40%.
This makes me wonder if the loss is from the the natural amount of water contained in unprocessed meat or is it a combination of that and the injection process of salt water and other fluids. This is unacceptable to me because when I see a bargain price, it's not a bargain at all, when you subtract the loss in pounds during the cooking process.
I just cooked 14 skinless, boneless chicken breasts and 4 chicken thighs with skin and bone and the loss was 4.59 pounds. That is a 39.5% loss. The store weight of the meat was initally 12.160 pounds. But I subtracted the weight of the skin and bone from the thighs. So the starting weight was 11.635 pounds before cooking.

After cooking, the weight was 7.045 pounds. The loss also raises the real cost of the meat we buy. By the way; all of the chicken is for my dog for a one months supply including some vegetables and rice as I started to prepare home cooked meals for him.
I am thinking of becoming a vegetarian because I feel like I am being rip off. Your thoughts?
rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,330

Re: The Real Cost Of Meat

My thoughts? I wish I had free time to think about stuff like this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,868

Did the packages list additives?

How much juice did it produce? How well did you cook it?

You should be able to taste salt in the juice if it was added.

Last edited by Nik333; 11-27-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,122

are you weighing the meat itself, or are you including the packaging?

One way to test your theory is to get some venison steaks from a friend...

However, not sure if you have noticed, but meat will typically shrink when its cooked
SeniorSitizen likes this.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
My thoughts? I wish I had free time to think about stuff like this.
You could even get a job doing this.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #6

There's a website called the science of cooking. " Why does meat shrink when cooked." It gives more info than you ever wanted to know. I tend to cook my chicken just safe. I don't like overcooked meat, usually.

How old is your dog? The fat in skin has a lot of good stuff. Hormones for example need fat.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #7

Being retired gives me all the time to take a closer look on how much things really cost.
The weight on the meat package is suppose to be the net weight of the meat. I believe there are heavy fines if this is not followed by the meat processors or food markets.

Last edited by rjordan393; 11-27-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,680

the quality of supermarket meat these days is horrible.

having a lot of water which gets thrown off during cooking is an indication of poor quality.

when meat and produce are sold heavily discounted, there's usually a reason.

the most disgusting stuff i ever bought was at a huge discount - frozen "seasoned" chicken. old bad quality chicken injected with salt water to raise the weight and frozen. threw it out.
Mystriss likes this.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.

Last edited by user_12345a; 11-27-2019 at 04:32 PM.
user_12345a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 7,034

There's important questions around the real cost of meat.
This isn't one of them.
sestivers and MTN REMODEL LLC like this.
CodeMatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 411

Well, I'd love it if you'd try a vegetarian diet. But, you're gonna encounter the same phenomenon when you cook your vegetables...

Ever heard that adage that the body is mostly made up of water?

If ya want meat that is the same weight when it's in the package as when ya eat it, that's called jerky.

Last edited by sestivers; 11-27-2019 at 04:36 PM.
sestivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #11

Code Matters,
I do not follow you. The real cost of meat should be of concern to all. When shoppers pay $4.00 a pound or more for beef, they end up paying more per pound after cooking. Losing up to 30 to 40% over a years period adds up to serious cost's especially those with large familys.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,680

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMatters View Post
There's important questions around the real cost of meat.
This isn't one of them.
you can say that about anything though - whatever you used to post that, i can assure you what you paid for it didn't come close to the real cost of extracting the materials for and manufacturing consumer electronics.

there are always externalities.

i don't see complaints in the pc/electronics subforum about the real "true cost" when discussing pricing.

we've been eating animal products to get quality protein and things you can't get elsewhere like B12 for all of history. it's factory farming that's the problem, if you go vegan you're just eating lower on the food chain so while there are savings (in reduced resource use/pollution), the food still comes from the same flawed industrial system and still ruins the soil, wastes fuel, poisons the environment with pesticides.
Nik333 and romeojk27 like this.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan393 View Post
Code Matters,
I do not follow you. The real cost of meat should be of concern to all. When shoppers pay $4.00 a pound or more for beef, they end up paying more per pound after cooking. Losing up to 30 to 40% over a years period adds up to serious cost's especially those with large familys.

We're not following you either. You seem to be suggesting that the processors dehydrate the meat, and also remove all the fats that cook away, before packaging. I don't think your end product would be palatable.

Also, cooking is a glamorized term for what is actually being done, which is the chemical process of burning. When the food is burned (cooked), matter that was originally part of the food departs as gasses and particulates in the smoke and is converted to heat. How should the packagers account for all of this? From the very first steak that was ever sold at a market it was sold by butchered weight, not cooked weight, which would be measurably different for everyone's cooking preference.
lenaitch likes this.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:59 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,690

Most of the "weight" of meat is water and fat, both of which evaporate while cooking (fat melts then evaporates.)

I figure the best way to get your "money's worth" out of the process is to cook as little as possible as previously suggested.

You can also recoup some of the losses by using cooking methods that retain the lost moisture for other food stuff. Like I'll pressure cook a chuck roast, make an au jus for dipping, then use the left over au jus to make dirty rice with a quick veggie stir fry the next day.

With chicken I tend to shake n bake, although I did chicken breast in the instapot with honey, soysauce and garlic over rice the other day that my husband said was the best chicken thing ever. Far less cooking/pots for that once since the dirty rice is automatic :P

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestivers View Post

If ya want meat that is the same weight when it's in the package as when ya eat it, that's called jerky.
That was actually very logical.

I think fat is included as 'meat' weight.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement