Are Ones Dreams Or Nightmares Significant ? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree30Likes

Old 10-14-2018, 06:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 574
Question

Are ones dreams or nightmares significant ?

I do not dream much at all and if I do, they are like me.... boring. They are usually about something that I watched on TV or a conversation I had that day, that seemingly triggers my seldom dreams.

But my wife has scary nightmares often, that makes her kick about and wakes her up. Now in the passed 3 years, she also keeps having the same reoccurring.... nicer dreams.

The settings of her reoccurring nicer dreams is of her sitting in a home somewhere while talking to her Mom, Dad or older sister. She said these dreams are as real in her sleep, as if she was awake actually living them.

Not really a big thing to dream about I guess. But her Mom, Dad and sister have been deceased for over 10 -15 years now.
Disclaimer: Any of my replies, advice, product recommendations, or projects that I have done that I post on this forum, are just for informational purposes only. Any reader choosing to use my postings, advice, product recommendations, or choose to duplicate any of my projects for their own use...are doing so at their own risk.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2018, 06:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,850

Re: Are ones dreams or nightmares significant ?

I guess I'm a wild and crazy guy as my dreams would shock a shrink. The only thing that saves me is they dissipate quickly once I wake up and I can only remember fragments of them.

The most reoccurring dream I have ever had started when I was about 6 and living in Salina. There was a large barn behind the mobile home park and behind that several pieces of old farm equipment. My dream involved crawling through all of those machines and watching the stars above. I suppose I was hiding as no one ever found me and I felt safe. Even today I could pull back that surrounding and dream about it but I DON'T, it took me many years to suppress it.

Like I said, I sure my dreams would shock a shrink.

BTW, when dealing with sleep apnea the Drs told me that dreaming was an indication of good deep sleep.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 594

I like to say I seldom dream but it might be more accurate to say I seldom have a dream I remember .... and I only remember the nightmares - like the one I had a decade ago. Somehow my wife had sold our place and moved me into a subdivision

The only reoccurring dream I ever had was before I was old enough to drive. My mother was a poor driver and in the dream we were fixin' to get killed in an auto accident, I always woke up just before we crashed. Never had that dream again once I got my driver's license.
Nik333 likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,202

Experts say everyone dreams often. Some remember them, some don't.
CodeMatters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:55 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,776

I don't often dream (or don't don't remember that I do, as Code mentioned). The only odd experience or connection I have is if I eat ice cream before bed (which I don't often do) I often have the weirdest effin' dreams. Not necessarily scary, just weird. I chalk it up to some additive in the ice cream.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,850

Well I guess I am a bit weird, I never realized other people don't dream as vividly as I do. I have even gotten up for a bathroom break and going back to sleep been able to rejoin my dream where I left off. I have commented to my wife that if I could record some of my dreams I might be able to give Mr King a few good stories to write about. But few are screamers and most a mix of real people and unknown ones.

Bud
Old 10-15-2018, 12:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
I don't often dream (or don't don't remember that I do, as Code mentioned). The only odd experience or connection I have is if I eat ice cream before bed (which I don't often do) I often have the weirdest effin' dreams. Not necessarily scary, just weird. I chalk it up to some additive in the ice cream.

Both my dad & I had what he called "Howl-i-cu-tions" ( he was playing on the word hallucination) after eating fruit like grapes before bed. They're just very vivid dreams. I don't know why.

Anxiety about something can cause vivid dreams. It seems to be the brain's way of working things out.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:41 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
I do not dream much at all and if I do, they are like me.... boring. They are usually about something that I watched on TV or a conversation I had that day, that seemingly triggers my seldom dreams.

But my wife has scary nightmares often, that makes her kick about and wakes her up. Now in the passed 3 years, she also keeps having the same reoccurring.... nicer dreams.

The settings of her reoccurring nicer dreams is of her sitting in a home somewhere while talking to her Mom, Dad or older sister. She said these dreams are as real in her sleep, as if she was awake actually living them.

Not really a big thing to dream about I guess. But her Mom, Dad and sister have been deceased for over 10 -15 years now.

I had a dream like that but it was an out of body dream when my heart stopped for 12 sec/ & had slowed way down after a seat belt chest impact in a car accident. The firefighter had the EKG strip. I was in a pleasant warm place like a State park in a place like North Dakota with my aunt & grandmother & lots of family at a picnic. Then I was in a cold intersection with the firefighter with muscle/rib pain in my chest.

Has your wife had the sleep apnea testing?
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:39 AM   #9
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

We may not remember our dreams but we dream a lot. I prefer not to remember them. Many cultures teach their children to take notes & look for a significance or meaning. For years, all I had were nightmares. I remember Howard Stern saying the same thing. When I was very young, they were reoccurring. One of the earliest nightmares was my brother falling on the subway tracks but I would awaken just before the train hit him. On a lighter note, Johnny Carson asked the audience if they could fly in their dreams. I never could. Then one night, in a dream, I could move about 3 feet off the ground but it only happened once. I think that a lot of it depends on what we eat.
Dave Sal and Nik333 like this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:24 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,317

I have the same four reoccurring 'bad' dreams a lot. I've had them for
so long that I no longer think of them as nightmares, just unpleasant
bad dreams (I guess that is coping mechanism?) nonetheless they're still
very upsetting.

They wake me up (it's 3:20 am now)

I also dream sometimes in vivid color.
I use to have many flying dreams in the past. Those were always fun.

When I was very little, maybe about three y.o., I had a dream that I
was hiding under the kitchen table from a witch. She got me and stabbed
me several times with a sharp knife. The pain I felt from those stabs has
been with me for all my life. I remember everything about that nightmare.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:15 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 574

Wow, TK, its a wonder that you are such a great cook knowing your terrible dream of being chased and stabbed with a knife. I believe I would stay clear of a room with knives stored in them, if I were you. J/K

The Ms. does not snore or choke in her sleep, which is the first indicator of sleep apnea. I have bad SA and I am STILL waiting on my new BPAP machine for Medicare to approve it. Even with my new sleep study done that showed I stop breathing now in my sleep every two minutes. I am only getting around 4 hours sleep a night now without it.

It has always been a mystery to me why some people dream little, some a lot and some have nightmares. At one point in my ponderings, I started thinking maybe those that have nightmares were dealing with too much secret guilt and their brain while resting, was "speaking out". But then, knowing children have nightmares too, my theory about why adults have them is for naught.

I guess what prompted my OP here, is my wife being 75 now and having emphysema she is telling me what her dreams mean to her. She told me that when people start dreaming about talking with their passed loved ones in their repeating dreams, that person will be with them soon. Her words hit me hard.
Disclaimer: Any of my replies, advice, product recommendations, or projects that I have done that I post on this forum, are just for informational purposes only. Any reader choosing to use my postings, advice, product recommendations, or choose to duplicate any of my projects for their own use...are doing so at their own risk.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 10-15-2018 at 05:22 AM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:39 AM   #12
retired painter

Rewards Points: 594

Quote:
She told me that when people start dreaming about talking with their passed loved ones in their repeating dreams, that person will be with them soon. Her words hit me hard.

Sounds like an old wife's tale to me [my wife could write a book of them]

My wife is a caregiver and as expected her patients are elderly and not in good health. She's had many patients that would regularly talk with or ask to call/visit dead relatives. Some of them would be like that for years. .... and I suspect your wife is in a lot better shape than any of them!
Startingover and Nik333 like this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:11 AM   #13
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
I have the same four reoccurring 'bad' dreams a lot. I've had them for
so long that I no longer think of them as nightmares, just unpleasant
bad dreams (I guess that is coping mechanism?) nonetheless they're still
very upsetting.

They wake me up (it's 3:20 am now)

I also dream sometimes in vivid color.
I use to have many flying dreams in the past. Those were always fun.

When I was very little, maybe about three y.o., I had a dream that I
was hiding under the kitchen table from a witch. She got me and stabbed
me several times with a sharp knife. The pain I felt from those stabs has
been with me for all my life. I remember everything about that nightmare.

I'm able to "tell" myself it's a dream while I'm dreaming, then I sit back and enjoy the show. I only do this during a nightmare. Like watching a horror movie. Crazy, but it works.

I wonder if it's something that can be learned if you put your mind to it?

OK, you can now send PM's to each other saying, "I knew pugsy was a whack job", ha....
Nik333 likes this.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:13 AM   #14
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post

Sounds like she loved them very much and misses them dearly.
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:42 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 245

I volunteer teaching ESL to a bunch of ladies in their 70s. They say they think a lot about passing on, how they would like things to be when they do pass on and after. How they would like to be when they in their 80s...90s.

Perhaps your wife thinking about her age and her health condition makes her then think more about dying which then makes her think (dream) about her parents and sister.

Perhaps being preoccupied with something she likes doing a lot would help.

I love dreaming because my dreams are usually weird, action-filled. And, in dreams, every emotion gets cranked up way way high. I dream in color.

I donít usually remember my dreams except when I wake up right in the middle of dreaming. Sometimes, I would wake up for a millisecond, go back to dreaming, then my memory of the dream just fades away. Like many other people, I remember a dream immediately after waking but fades eventually.

A few dreams I remember:

I once dreamed my whole city was invaded by vampires and had turned everyone to vampires except me. I kept running and running and running. I had lots of garlic. Ha ha ha. I woke up really tired from all the running.

I had a dream where I was rolling down somewhere. I woke up with a thud and found myself under the bed.

My sister and I were sleeping on the same bed while visiting our parents. I had a dream where I was using a giant wok as an autoclave. I found it so funny that I laughed. I kept laughing so hard, my whole body was shaking. I briefly woke up (opened my eyes) from my violent shaking/laughing to find my sister staring at me. Still laughing, I closed my eyes to continue my funny dream.

I donít act out most of my dreams though.
Nik333 and Gregsoldtruck79 like this.
Druidia is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement