Lending Tools - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 834

Lending Tools

During the summer, I like do to some work in my shop with the garage door open. Because of that, my tenant always sees all my tools and asks to borrow some for whatever he's trying to fix in his apartment. I don't like to sound like a grinch because I know the guy is trying to fix his own stuff, which is good initiative, but the problem is that he's less than capable of doing this kind of repair work and I'm always hesitant to lend him tools in fear of him taking a wall down or accidentally busting a pipe open; most of the time when he asks me for tools I just say that I don't have what he's looking for or that I'll come take a look myself since I'm the property owner.

But sometimes he's just stubborn and insists on having the tools lent to him and that he'll do it himself, not to mention, because he sees what I own when the door is open, I can't really lie about not having tools.

I've been given advice to tell him nicely that I don't like to lend my tools and to just offer to have a look myself. But the problem what that isn't only that I've already lent him many tools but equally that it would come off as rude if I'm not using the item ans refuse it to him, and if there's any other property owners out there, you'll understand that the last thing you want is an upset tenant.

How do I go about not having to lend others my tools anymore (atleast this guy), without having to worry about leaving my garage door open?
Solidify is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 1,960

How can he take a wall down or burst a pipe? What is he doing? Remodeling the place?

If he drills into a water pipe then he should be responsible for the repair and I would let him know that. I doubt he is going to take down a wall unless you borrow him a sledgehammer or jackhammer.

I would ask him what he is using the tool for and then decide. Does not seem like a good idea to get too friendly, nicey nicey with the tenants. Same as lending money to your family or doing work for them and expecting to get paid. There are some things you don't do as they are not worth the trouble when they go wrong and you have to live with them. Be firm and polite and if it is not something dangerous then borrow the tool. If he breaks it he pays. People are not stupid even though they play dumb or pretend to be. I suspect you are getting used and he knows how to use you.

Make sure you have good damage insurance on the building. You would be surprised how many people have no insurance and rent a apartment and start a fire and end up homeless. Pretty hard to collect from them later if they have no $$.

Last edited by yuri; 03-25-2015 at 02:27 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,082

We don't lend tools to tenants. Period.

Then, of course, we follow up with, "and just what are you trying to do, anyway?"
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 107

I solve it in my lease. Tenant is expressing prohibited from making modifications to any building component, electrical , plumbing , or HVAC system. All repairs are to be down my licensed contractors
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,082

We specifically prohibit working on vehicles in the driveway or garage as well.
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,203

I wouldn't want to encourage it either.

But you could charge a $500 deposit per tool. Or something quite high!
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #7

I think I'll just go with the aggregate advice here and tell him not to work on anything related to the apartment himself and that I'll do it.

Then again, there are times he's asked me for my ratchet set to fix something on his car. He's even asked for some wrenches and hammers to fix his ab exercise machine. He asked me once for a piece of wood and nails to piece together a step for his bed that missing a fourth leg, the result being that the missing end has damaged the hard-wood flooring.

Most of the things he asked the tools for aren't for the apartment per say, they're for something of his own that he needs to fix. So my bad for misinforming everyone in the first post.

I guess my point is I just don't trust this guy to do anything. He asked me if he can repaint so I got him the paint and asked if he knows how to do it and he said he'd done it before. A couple weeks later I realized that he had painted all the wooden doorframes as well!!!

It's come to the point that not only do I not want anyone using my tools, but I wouldn't trust this guy with smaller tools.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Tell him Cdn Tire puts tools on sale ALL the time and to start his own collection. Mastercraft stuff works just as well as the name brand for occasional use and most basic DIYers.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #9

Yuri, he's not interested in buying tools. My problem here is I don't know how to say no.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 109

Gotta draw the line and stand firm. I had a neighbor who I was sort of friends with. He asked to borrow my rotozip. I was hesitant because I know he is a moron when it comes to anything hands on. But I gave it to him. He brought it back about 2 hours later and said it just stopped working. Turns out he was trying to cut tile with it, a lot of tile and he burned it up. Just said it just stopped working and it must be broken and left. I only used it a couple times before that. I was pissed but kept my mouth shut as to not cause problems. I just went and bought another one. Another neighbor who I was good friends with knew the story and was also angry and mentioned it to him. Told him it was BS that he broke my tool and just gave it back without offering to pay. The guys says, I will buy him a new one, buddy replies he already did, cost him $100 (forget the exact number) just give him the money. The next day his idiot Came over and rang my doorbell, I was thinking to offer money. Instead he says, hey heard you bought another rotozip.... I said yes, he replies, I have 2 pieces of tile left... Mind if I use it. I laughed and said are you joking? You broke my last one and dropped it off without even an apology costing me $100 and now you want to borrow the new one? No f'en way, I thought you were coming to pay for the tool you misused and destroyed. He left and we never spoke again. Shortly afterwards his wife cheated on him and he moved out, I never saw him again. But for $100 I never had to speak to him again so at least I got something for my money

Last edited by Olcrazy1; 03-25-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Olcrazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #11
Hvac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidify View Post
Yuri, he's not interested in buying tools. My problem here is I don't know how to say no.
Practice, practice, practice.

I used to be bad for not saying NO. Did EVERYTHING for my family until I got all run down and seriously sick and burnt out. Then I decided it was not worth it and unless it is an emergency I will go only if I feel well. Got blunt with everyone and after a few times of saying No it gets easier. My family is not poor so if need be they can hire someone and not ruin my health or sanity.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #12

Cool story crazi haha and yes i know i have to learn to be more firm and say no but theres just something difficult about telling the guy "no, i cant lend u the (tool) or i dont have it" when the garage door's open and he sees it in plain sight. And even if hed ask me and i replied "i dont led my tools, ill take a look for u".. That would mean id have to tend to all of his dumb projects
Old 03-25-2015, 07:22 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 109

Ever sense that day when someone asks me for a tool I say.... Sorry, I have been burned in the past lending out tools so I just don't do it anymore. Anyhow, you need to decide on nipping it in the bud once and for all or keeping the door open. I have some good friends that I trust and share with but others get nothing but excuses or flat out sorry
Olcrazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #14

Thanks, ill try to be more firm.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidify View Post
either learn to say no or forever be guilted into loaning him tools.

What I would consider would be to tell him you loaned a tool to some other guy. The guy damaged it and refused to replace it so you have made a standing rule that you simply do not loan out tools.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement