How To Buy An Electric Keyboard? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Joeywhat
  • 1 Post By AllanJ
  • 1 Post By mathmonger
  • 2 Post By mathmonger

Old 06-29-2020, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,209

How to buy an electric keyboard?

I'm looking for a recommendation on a keyboard for my 7yo. The Fisher Price one isn't really cutting it anymore. Way too many options, though. And without going to a store and playing with them and talking to a salesman, I have no clue. Do I want to spend $50 or $500. I don't know. We are pretty casual. Who knows if he'll even use it. But it seems like a good thing for a kid to have access to. So I kind of feel like going cheap. But there is cheap and there is CHEAP and I don't want to do the wrong one. I don't feel like blowing money on another piece of random crap. A lot of people make a big deal about how you have to get weighted keys, but that seems more for somebody who really wants to play a traditional piano? And what about the size of the keys? I am kind of tempted to get smaller keys because he has smaller hands and that will make the whole thing smaller. Would that be okay or do small keys automatically mean it is tacky garbage?
mathmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,812

Re: How to buy an electric keyboard?

Shop e-bay, for some other kids keyboard that they have outgrown.

Yamaha used to make good ones.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 11:02 PM   #3

What about those ones with light up keys or something to help teach you how to play? Is any of that stuff reputable or is it all gimmicky?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 12:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 50

There isn't much difference between cheap and super cheap for a 7 year old. If you were talking about lessons and such, I'd worry about quality. Get one that you think is nice in your price range. I can assure you it won't matter. Source: I'm a musician and play piano (among other instruments).

If they continue to show interest around the beginning of middle school, or show serious aptitude before that we can look at different/better options.
Joeywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 50

If you want help with brands, stick with a Yamaha, Casio, Roland etc. and stay away from anything that is geared as a kids toy and not a musical instrument. I would also find one that has built in speakers (most of the "portable practice keyboard" style options do). For $100 you can get a keyboard that will last a very long while and will still be useful if they do decide to pursue it further. If you check Craigslist you can often find those keyboards lightly used for half of retail (or less).

To keep things cheap a 49 key is probably best. Once you start getting into 61 and 88 key it's considerably more expensive. The Yamaha PSR line is a good place to start.
de-nagorg likes this.
Joeywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,330

I think maybe not to skimp on cost too much. Kid who learns wrong C is going to have trouble later...

I like Yamaha and Casio myself.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,416

My opinion is to get a keyboard with the same size keys as a piano. This avoids the need to re-learn the spacing of the keys when progressing to a keyboard with the standard key size and spacing or progressing to a real piano.

It is okay to get a shorter (fewer than 61 note) keyboard if you are prepared to upgrade later if your child gets more serious with music.

For learning to play the organ you need different voices (stops) but you don't need a tremendous number of voices, For learning to play the piano you need a keyboard where the notes play louder when you hit the keys harder.

Pitch should be accurate to be able to play along with others on their own instruments. Also, some children who learn on a keyboard that has the wrong pitch or that has a transposing feature that is incorrectly set will have trouble playing at the correct pitch.
de-nagorg likes this.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-02-2020 at 09:00 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:53 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 646

I thought about trying to learn keyboard years ago and was contemplating getting something like this from M-Audio. See link, about $299.

Never got around to it and sort of lost the interest.

https://m-audio.com/products/view/code-49-black

Edit: looking closer at this I think it requires you to have MIDI software for it to function. Probably not a good fit for a kid, unless his name happens to be Yanni.

Last edited by Dave Sal; 07-02-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:07 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 6,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmonger View Post
I'm looking for a recommendation on a keyboard for my 7yo.

My sister plays the piano beautifully. So, I bought her young kids an electric keyboard. Probably not cheap. I don't remember their exact age but it ended up in the large Master bathroom tub that was full of water. Not plugged in thankfully. These aren't dumb kids, the boy could play poker on the computer at 3.

I don't think I would have bought it for them if they were under 7, so probably at least 7.

Last edited by Nik333; 07-03-2020 at 02:09 AM.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #10

I went with this one:

de-nagorg likes this.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
My sister plays the piano beautifully. So, I bought her young kids an electric keyboard. Probably not cheap. I don't remember their exact age but it ended up in the large Master bathroom tub that was full of water. Not plugged in thankfully. These aren't dumb kids, the boy could play poker on the computer at 3.

I don't think I would have bought it for them if they were under 7, so probably at least 7.
I might screw the stand through the carpet into the floor and maybe add some zip ties or something. Definitely don't want it going for a swim.
de-nagorg and Nik333 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement