Does Life Exist Out There, Somewhere? Yes! - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree21Likes

Old 04-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4,356

Does life exist out there, somewhere? Yes!

Does life exist out there, somewhere? Yes!

I find Hubble photos absolutely amazing and totally impossible to grasp the size of the universe where we occupy a very tiny, tiny, spot in some distant corner. If we exist then life exists in millions of other places.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasa-rele...030814579.html

Bud
Nealtw likes this.
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 09:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,064

Re: Does life exist out there, somewhere? Yes!

Well, I have no evidence, one way or the other. The scale of the universe suggests yes.

Either way, if and when we ever know for sure, either answer would force a huge change in our core beliefs.

For one thing, the conceit of thinking this was all created just for us must surely erode as we begin to grasp how vast it all is.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,016

No evidence that another race of beings exist, but I believe that they exist.

And are much wiser than us, because they have chosen to leave us squabbling self eradicating beings alone.

We can't even get along with each other on this muddy ball of dirt.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,514

I agree with what CaptTom said -- based on just the size of the universe, odds would say there is other life.

However, not sure why we expect that other life equals little green men. Could be that first other life we find is bacteria, or insect size, or something we have never seen before. And I don't believe they are "visiting" us in "flying saucers".

By the way, you can buy prints of the Hubble photographs: https://www.skyimagelab.com/
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,100

I like this quote,

“The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.”

Carl Sagan

PPBART, Dave Sal, lenaitch and 2 others like this.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,456

JMHO there is abundant evidence that earth has been visited.

No they haven't landed on the White House lawn, jumped out of their space ship and said "Nanoo, Nanoo, we come in peace."

But the event at Roswell in 1947 was not a weather balloon.

Travis Walton has passed a dozen lie-detector tests about his "abduction experience."

On and on.

But if I say any more, this thread will need to be moved to the Controversial Board Room.

Dave Sal and Nealtw like this.

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 04-22-2018 at 06:00 PM.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,662

It's a good thing the originally posed question wasn't "Does Intelligent Life Exist Out There". Sometimes I question if it exists here.
de-nagorg, ZZZZZ, mark sr and 2 others like this.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZ View Post
JMHO there is abundant evidence that earth has been visited.

No they haven't landed on the White House lawn, jumped out of their space ship and said "Nanoo, Nanoo, we come in peace."

LOL, I get a kick out of the sightings, even from credible pilots, where people want to believe it was an alien space craft. If they came from another planet way out there then they certainly would have the technology to NOT be seen here.

And how many representations have we seen of these little green men having 2 arms, 2 legs, 2 eyes, and so on implying they are similar to earthlings. The probability that they are here is incredibly small and then multiply that by the probability they have any similarity to us and on and on.

No, not only does the math tell us life exists out there somewhere it also tells us other lifeforms are not here now.

But I agree, this would need another CBR thread to share all opinions.

Bud
Old 04-23-2018, 05:09 AM   #9
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,152

Who's to say life on another planet has to resemble what we know as life. For all we know there could be life on another planet that thinks no way could there be life on earth because it's full of oxygen and water which is highly poisonous [to them]
de-nagorg and ZZZZZ like this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:38 AM   #10
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
Who's to say life on another planet has to resemble what we know as life. For all we know there could be life on another planet that thinks no way could there be life on earth because it's full of oxygen and water which is highly poisonous [to them]
That's why they are called " alien" life forms.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:57 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,064

OK, I have to admit it. I actually saw a UFO myself.

It was late enough in the evening to be perfectly dark, no moon. I was on the outskirts of a small city, not a lot of traffic but lights from houses and hotels nearby.

Ahead on the horizon I saw a series of lights which appeared to be moving sequentially along the edge of a rotating disk. Or maybe steady lights on the edge of a rotating disk.

The lights hovered in one spot for a while, then darted right and left in a way no aircraft ever could. It was unlike anything I'd ever seen before.

It slowly got closer. I could feel a chill run up the back of my spine.

Then I saw it clearly. A fixed-wing airplane, heading toward me, buffeted right or left by the occasional gust, with an array of lights under the wing, spelling out an advertisement. Like the kind on the side of the blimp at a football game.

From edge-on (heading toward me) it really looked like an alien spaceship from the movies. My imagination filled in the details.

Believe me, if a skeptic like me can be fooled, anyone can. Even an astronaut or airline pilot.
de-nagorg likes this.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,152

Quote:
The lights hovered in one spot for a while, then darted right and left in a way no aircraft ever could. It was unlike anything I'd ever seen before.
I had a similar experience in the early 70s. Don't know what it was but never saw anything like that before or since.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 732

I stumbled across this video a few weeks ago which intrigued me. I'm still not sure either way, but the vastness of space leads me to believe that we can't possibly be the only life forms in existence. Heck, astronomers keep finding more planets in the "Goldilocks Zone" of their stars all the time. There has to be millions of them so it is pretty arrogant of us to think we are so unique.

Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #14

Hi Dave,
Looks like it would be a nice video if they spent another dime and added CC. Watched a little but......

In the world of statistics a one in a hundred chance at another one in a hundred chance gives you a one in 10,000 overall shot at winning. So, when we multiply all of the one in a million odds together for alien life actually being here the resulting chance that someone on this planet is looking at a real life form from another planet becomes so impossible it just can't be.

Like Cap said when people see things their "imagination fills in the details".

I've been following some of the speculation about our possible planet 9. Here is this never before seen planet swinging around our own star and yet we still can't confirm it exists. If we can't confirm #9 how many planets are circling the trillions of stars we can see and the millions of trillions we can't see. The numbers are extreme.

Bud
Old 04-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 6,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Here is this never before seen planet swinging around our own star and yet we still can't confirm it exists.
That's because it doesn't exist. Pluto is nothing more than a big rock, yet they can find its gravitational effects on other planets. But I suppose one can't prove a negative.

Wasn't planet 9 supposed to become visible last Thursday, right before the end of the world ?
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement