Vaulted Ceiling In Philippines - New Member Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > New Member Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Is it feasible
Poll Options
Is it feasible

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sicayab

Old 06-30-2018, 01:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Question

Vaulted ceiling in Philippines

Good day
I moved from the USA to live in the Philippines a few years ago, just purchased a fixer upper here. All the walls are cement blocks, the roof’s load is on the four corners on cement pillars, the roof is made like a piramid. Unfortunately the ceiling is very low in every room, I would like to have vaulted ceilings with the middle part would be approximately 11 feet.
Since the walls are built with cement blocks and pillars every 15 feet, I think that there would not be any load on the roof, since I would want to use welded angle iron and flat iron to build the vaulted ceilings. I have to use metal here since the wood get eaten by the bugs. It is also extremely humid here therefore will need good ventilation. Can anyone help me for this project, would the metal be to heavy for the walls? What thickness of metal needed, one ceiling would be approximately 25 feet long by 18 feet wide, second and third ceiling would be 15 x 20.
I was also thinking to brace the top of the ceiling on the metal rafters.
Thank you for your assistance.
sicayab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2018, 01:54 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,236

Re: Vaulted ceiling in Philippines

Ceiling joists are also rafter ties and they can be up one third the height of the peak.
Weights and measures would be best asked of an engineer.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2018, 02:09 AM   #3

Unfortunately Engineers are not available in this area just like doctors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2018, 03:13 AM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicayab View Post
Unfortunately Engineers are not available in this area just like doctors.
How are the ceilings structure now?
Old 06-30-2018, 03:24 AM   #5

The ceilings are held by 10mm metal bars welded to the roof trusses, some metal bars are 2+ meters long. They had used 2x2 wood to frame the ceiling then attached 6mm plywood, unfortunately the bugs started to eat the wood. Since I must redo the ceiling and that the ceiling is very low a little less then 8 feet, wanted to vault the ceilings, not using plywood either but cement boards 6mm with metal framing.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:05 AM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
The ceilings are held by 10mm metal bars welded to the roof trusses, some metal bars are 2+ meters long. They had used 2x2 wood to frame the ceiling then attached 6mm plywood, unfortunately the bugs started to eat the wood. Since I must redo the ceiling and that the ceiling is very low a little less then 8 feet, wanted to vault the ceilings, not using plywood either but cement boards 6mm with metal framing.
You can solve the actual ceiling questions later you want to understand the structure of the roof first.

You said trusses and pyramid shape. That sounds like a hip roof.
With that style truss you would have most running from side to side and 5, 8. or 10 ft from the end you would have a heavier truss called a girder and the end part of the roof would be jack rafters going the outer way.
Like this
Old 06-30-2018, 04:12 AM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
A rafter roof might look more like this with ceiling joists that maybe supported by interior wall with a few upright near that interior support
Old 06-30-2018, 05:40 AM   #8

Will try to take a few photos tomorrow of the roof and the interior.
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement