Tired Of Renting - New Member Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > New Member Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 40

Tired of Renting

I just signed up!
I have been doing everything myself that I possibly can for a while, but renting makes that difficult sometimes. My cars have not been to a shop in years, I rarely call the landlord, and I cannot wait to own my own home so I can do anything I want to it.

I am a 28 year old mechanical engineer in Maine renting a house with my fiancee. It is a brand new house, built to be sold, so it is incredibly generic. Everything is beige, and I am not allowed to change anything. I satisfy my DIY itch by modifying my car(s), and building smaller things.

I will probably spend my time here in the Do It Yourself section, and generally reading everybody else's stories, projects, and mistakes while I figure out whether I want to buy or build in the future.
Skidude108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

It's a good time to buy, rates are still low.
sillyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sillyme For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (09-17-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

You should move out here. We have plenty of railways that are hiring engineers to drive trains and your fiancee could meet someone who can design, build, and complete something.

Just kidding, but there are plenty of opportunities across the country right now.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6,814

+1

As long as money is this "cheap" and you buy right, you minimize the exposure risk.

Congrats and welcome to the forums.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 40

Thanks guys!
I cannot decide what kind of place to buy. Around here I have a lot of options. I could buy a small starter house and plan to upgrade in 5-10 years, or I could buy some land and build a garage with an apartment above and plan to build a house to go with it in 5-10 years, or I could probably wait another couple years and skip the small house and go straight to a family-raising house.

Someday I want a house on a lake, as I grew up on a lake and I miss it every day, but I cannot afford a full size house on a lake right now. Hence the thoughts of starting small and up-sizing in the future. We still have some saving to do, but we are working on it and I am exploring my options.
Skidude108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement