New With Old House - New Member Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > New Member Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New with old house

Hi there. I'm hoping I can get some advice on my old house to keep it from falling down around my ears. House is an 1880's farm house in Mississippi, all wood of course, and we've had it since it was built. It's made of heart pine siding mostly, with lots of old cypress holding it together.

Prior to 1950, it had cypress plank walls covered with glued muslin and then wallpapered. In the 1950's gypsum board covered almost all the walls.

Floors--some places have three layers of wood flooring, the kitchen has plywood with vinyl carpet, the dining room has two layers of wood flooring with plywood on top, and the bathroom floors are wood with a topping of asbestos tile.

The front porches are rotting away, and the brick end foundation piers collapsed and have been replaced with house jacks.

Obviously there is a huge amount of work to be done, and my funds are seriously limited.

So I'm looking for good advice and will be posting as we proceed.

My first project is to replace the house jacks with brick piers and replace the boards that fit on top and hold up the porches.
vineyridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,376

So that would make you 113 years old.
No such thing as vinyl carpet.
Bet those piers collapsed because of improper footings.
Break it down in order of importance.
Work from the top down.
Little use fixing the insides when the roof is leaking.
Old knob and tube wiring, under sized old fuse box, old steel leaking plumbing is more important to replace then fofo stuff.
Take on one project at a time.
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
Hi there. I'm hoping I can get some advice on my old house to keep it from falling down around my ears. House is an 1880's farm house in Mississippi, all wood of course, and we've had it since it was built. It's made of heart pine siding mostly, with lots of old cypress holding it together.

Prior to 1950, it had cypress plank walls covered with glued muslin and then wallpapered. In the 1950's gypsum board covered almost all the walls.

Floors--some places have three layers of wood flooring, the kitchen has plywood with vinyl carpet, the dining room has two layers of wood flooring with plywood on top, and the bathroom floors are wood with a topping of asbestos tile.

The front porches are rotting away, and the brick end foundation piers collapsed and have been replaced with house jacks.

Obviously there is a huge amount of work to be done, and my funds are seriously limited.

So I'm looking for good advice and will be posting as we proceed.

My first project is to replace the house jacks with brick piers and replace the boards that fit on top and hold up the porches.
Welcome to the forum vineyridge.

You certainly are not alone with what seems to be overwhelming issues with an old house (I own one myself).

There are plenty of members here that are willing to help, just find the right forum on this site (plumbing, electrical, etc.) and ask away.

Btw, we like pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I think the roof is okay. All the cold water plumbing has been replaced, but the hot water needs redoing. It's been mostly rewired and has a very competent breaker box outside.

I agree that nothing needs to be done inside until I get the front properly supported.

House has stood through several close by tornados. One in 1985 took the chimneys off and ruined all the double pane windows, which the insurance wouldn't cover because the damage wasn't discovered for ten years when the panes all fogged up. One in 2009 just missed house when it knocked down an old pecan tree. We also had one in 1927 and another in 1950.
vineyridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 18,376

The only thing you can count on working in an old house is the owner.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Welcome! Start a thread and post some pictures---the old places are challenging, we have several members that have antique houses--Their experience might save you a lot of time--Mike----
Old 12-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 274

Welcome here
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement