Interesting Forum Here Useful Information. - New Member Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > New Member Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: How do you feel about being ousted from Electrician Talk?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
How do you feel about being ousted from Electrician Talk?

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By CodeMatters
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By joed

Old 10-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Cool

Interesting forum here useful information.

Hello,

Started off Joining Electrician Talk with this message but was informed of this website in short order to join here instead fair enough this was my post for the introduction there below:

I am just a guy looking for information to do things correctly and be as safe as possible when doing any type of AC residential work on my own home I understand that many things are common sense but some things are required by code and other things are not required by code but experience of seeing potential faults while being within the bounds of the code is also important as well. Let's say a specific wire nut brand just is known for being totally bad I'd love to know this information to stay away from it even though it may be UL listed for instance. The object is longevity and safe operation while being maintenance free. Now before we kid ourselves nothing I feel is made to last forever but the bar is pretty high for electrical work and rightfully so as our life depends on it.

I will say I am likely the guy you will yell at to get certified but I am not the guy I want someone complaining about when they see what I have done due to a lack of knowledge with the advent of places like this and the internet in general none of us have excuses for not knowing if we screwed up well we screwed up own up to it and learn from it and even then we are all prone to an error here or there so double checking everything is a must. I will likely take 10x's longer if need be to be at a point of absolutely sure then try and see if I can be the fastest.

I know this still will disappoint many that I service my own electrical but on the other hand I do work full time in an electronics factory building arcade games and have had plenty of experience in the last 15 years with high Voltage, Low Voltage, Signal Wires, and electronics in general. I think it is good to always remain overly cautious as I have seen everyone get shocked at least once at my work with 120v I myself got it once from an imported power supply where the ground you could not see internally was grounded to the case and the hot wire was also touching the case I turned the power switch on and pssss White Lightning! But from there on out I've always only touched the switch and not to supply lesson learned.

Now if you don't want to help me if I have a question after knowing this I totally get it some feel strongly that only someone certified should change their outlets "For Safety" or "For making sure you stay busy and employed etc..." Whatever the reason I respect that it is not my world only but I also prefer to be treated with respect so if you don't like the fact that I am not certified state your case and leave it at that as I am also not here to cause a ruckus or waste my time or yours in an internet argument as being behind a keyboard is similar to being drunk everyone is 10ft tall and bulletproof things get a bit different when people are face to face with each other so I'd prefer to refrain from these types of knock down drag out pissing contests the truth is right is always usually somewhere in the middle.

Anyhow that pretty much sums it up I understand the forum is "Electrician Talk" and I technically am not an "electrician" on paper anywhere but I would like to believe it is possible not to be and still run wires and make the correct choices with the proper self-education and a little bit of guidance as well as having prior hands-on knowledge of. I am of the belief that we rely far too much on a piece of paper that says we can do something right rather than the completed job that we are able to do. I don't believe someone needs to be certified for everything under the sun some things are counterproductive now if I did this for a living I would go get certified sure but I'm not going to get certified just to update the wiring in my old farmhouse so that it is safer than it currently is. I understand some people lack the ability to self-educate and yes this is a problem that is solved through certification requirements but often there are folks that are certified ultimately who likely don't deserve to be as well it is a thin line.

With that said thanks in advance for any help, I appreciate folks dedicating their time the rarest thing that they own just to help others along in their learning, endeavors, and struggles. We have all been there and it is nice to be able to share and pay things forward. And hopefully, I can give you some of my input to join in on this collaborative effort as well.

Wishes are respected I won't post to Electrican Talk I'll post here instead.

-forlotto
forlotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,070

Re: Interesting forum here useful information.

I'm too lazy to read all of that but trust me, there's plenty of pros on this
site who are here to help non pros. Not at all like electriciantalk.
Welcome aboard!
forlotto likes this.
CodeMatters is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CodeMatters For This Useful Post:
forlotto (10-19-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 11,984

Yup, too long, but welcome.
forlotto likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
forlotto (10-19-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,978

Well I read it all.

I agree that a certificate says that you can pass a written test, BIG DEAL, it does not mean that you can actually do a darned thing otherwise.

And if those " elitists" don't want you , WHO CARES", There are plenty of other places that you can join and become one of the members, that are willing to Teach, and learn from you.

Welcome, and read along, add when you can, glean what you need, and Stay as long as you like.

ED
forlotto likes this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
forlotto (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,070

Can't edit my last post but should not have implied that all the
good advice is provided by pros. The electrical forum has at least
4 regular contributors who are not electricians but very often have
the correct answers.
CodeMatters is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CodeMatters For This Useful Post:
forlotto (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 22,526

Welcome and be aware of rules especially this one which you have come close to breaking. Only because it is another board I am leaving this go, but @Cricket may not be too happy that you came here to bash the other site.

Quote:
2a. Users shall not question or debate a moderator decision publicly on the message board. In the event of a disagreement or questioning of a moderator's decision or action users should contact the moderator(s) or admin(s) via PM.
forlotto likes this.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
forlotto (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4
Cool

Thanks for the welcome. Just so you know not here to debate anything I feel being around doing the job for the last oh 20 years with electric should count for some level understanding I don't even believe that is debatable.
@joed thanks for the warning I really skipped reading the rules, to be honest, I never do read them anywhere. It helps me not waste my time being somewhere I cannot be myself.
But to be honest I don't think many people read rules right off the bat.

The poll is sheerly out of curiosity of what people think in general it is not my intent to change anything sometimes I am interested in general consensus I have no reason to challenge cricket nor you it is pointless lol this is a private operation it is house rules you folks could ban me because you say I use two left shoes and it would be law. I am not dumb I know that. I won't even waste my time trying to come back though it would be all too easy.

I actually came here for questions only a well-seasoned electrician could answer because the work I do is like new installations all the time essentially I never get to learn things about durability other than fixing the wiring in this old house.

Things like are there wirenuts that last longer than others and possibly code questions as I am not entirely proficient with Codes that are national as say someone who does business and residential installs all day every day. Sure we have to deal with UL and QPS and such but the codes for our AC wiring are a bit different than building codes so it isn't in my best interest to memorize it all. Certain things one would know off the top of their head doing the job.

Finally, I also am of the belief a lot of problems stem from the user not being properly educated. If you ask anyone what gauge wire they have or how many amps are running on a circuit they will tell you I DONT KNOW! They likely don't know what outlets are connected in a circuit or not have you ever looked at peoples panels often they are blank or the listings are not right! This is a problem a large reason for electrical fires to be honest. I also believe that someone can NOT honestly give an opinion of anything without knowing the history of useage on a circuit. A good instance on the other forum you have folks saying I don't use wago's because I seen them crumpled up after 10 years etc ...

Well do you know the history of that circuit was it installed in an area where there was heat that exceeded the specifications of the connector or voltages of the connector. I see so many people jump to conclusions like don't use wago connectors because they seen this and they automatically think because they don't see burn marks that it didn't overheat or run in a condition outside of the specs. This tells me far too many assumptions are being made. Maybe it is possible they shouldn't be used above light fixtures because over time the extra heat weakens them but aside from that, I have seen NOTHING to imply they don't work well everywhere else actually I have seen old outlets after a few years that the plastic was brittle. I believe this boiled down to improper usage after asking the person what was all on the circuit in every case! They either were using it for there AC Unit, Space heater, and or charging their wheelchair along with a microwave or coffee maker or toaster oven for example.

Anyhow I'll cut it short there. And thank everyone for the welcome.

PS sorry for the TL:DR again.

Last edited by forlotto; 10-19-2018 at 10:15 PM.
forlotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement