Hello From Scotland UK! - New Member Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > New Member Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By calumingraining
  • 1 Post By calumingraining
  • 1 Post By Drachenfire

Old 07-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 50

Hello from Scotland UK!

Hey guys, great to connect with like-minded individuals!
I'm not a DIYer but I am a woodworker by trade and would love to share what I know within the community

I look forward to discussing and helping out you guys in the near future.

And don't forget, shake your tits it's Friday!

Calum
BLENDX likes this.
calumingraining is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumingraining For This Useful Post:
BLENDX (07-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,630

Re: Hello from Scotland UK!

An ancestor of mine was a woodworker and his skills migrated with him from your area of the earth to the USA in the 1800's.
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Scotland UK!-squire-pate-carpenter-shop-2017.jpg  
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 8,496

Welcome to the forums. Just spent a week in your country. Lovely place and people.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
calumingraining (07-15-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
An ancestor of mine was a woodworker and his skills migrated with him from your area of the earth to the USA in the 1800's.
Wow, that is a great picture.
Amazing to think that these influences have shaped the way we perceive woodworking all over the world.

What craft do you follow?
Old 07-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,630

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumingraining View Post
Wow, that is a great picture.
Amazing to think that these influences have shaped the way we perceive woodworking all over the world.

What craft do you follow?
"Jack" of many trades but mainly made a living operating and maintaining ( including complete overhaul of ) natural gas engines and compressors at satellite gas compressor stations while rising a family.

I've only done wood working for pleasure since I was about 6 when I received my first pocket knife to whittle with.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
"Jack" of many trades but mainly made a living operating and maintaining ( including complete overhaul of ) natural gas engines and compressors at satellite gas compressor stations while rising a family.

I've only done wood working for pleasure since I was about 6 when I received my first pocket knife to whittle with.
Interesting profession buddy, how long have you been helping out around the forum?

Haha, got to love a bit of whittling. Can remember being in the Scouts as a young boy, cutting sticks and pieces of wood into all kinds of shapes.
Might be the reason I am where I am now!
Old 07-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #7
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 4,392

Glad to have you aboard. You may not be a DIYer now, but one is never to old to learn.
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenfire View Post
Glad to have you aboard. You may not be a DIYer now, but one is never to old to learn.
23 years old on Wednesday, young enough to start
No, i'm a Bench hand woodworker by trade. I have quite a few tips and a bundle of knowledge to share with you guys and I'm looking forward to learning so much more.
Just beginning to realize how amazing communities like this are for your own personal growth and the growth of others!
cocobolo likes this.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
23 years old on Wednesday, young enough to start
No, i'm a Bench hand woodworker by trade. I have quite a few tips and a bundle of knowledge to share with you guys and I'm looking forward to learning so much more.
Just beginning to realize how amazing communities like this are for your own personal growth and the growth of others!
You have a 8 year head start on me. Bought a turn-key condo for my first place when I was 25 y/o, all I did there was vacuum and polish the counter tops. Then later we got into the old fixer upper and what a learning experience that was. I appreciate people who always want to learn no matter what. That's great. Welcome!
jmarco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarco21 View Post
You have a 8 year head start on me. Bought a turn-key condo for my first place when I was 25 y/o, all I did there was vacuum and polish the counter tops. Then later we got into the old fixer upper and what a learning experience that was. I appreciate people who always want to learn no matter what. That's great. Welcome!
That's awesome man. I have a house myself that I bought a couple years ago but I have never managed to save up for the fixes I have planned.
Maybe it's time for me to start taking some pictures and writing about my goals for the place. I'm sure there will be a lot of help from people on here.

What's your end goal for properties? Do you want to have enough for the big, lavish Renaissance style home or do you like functionality and a home that's right and not wasted space?
Old 07-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
That's awesome man. I have a house myself that I bought a couple years ago but I have never managed to save up for the fixes I have planned.
Maybe it's time for me to start taking some pictures and writing about my goals for the place. I'm sure there will be a lot of help from people on here.

What's your end goal for properties? Do you want to have enough for the big, lavish Renaissance style home or do you like functionality and a home that's right and not wasted space?
We just bought a big house with all worn contractor-grade finishes. It had been a rental the past 10 years and looks pretty rough. Think worst house in best neighborhood, and other buyers were passing on it. The seller's put all their money for upgrades into the bones of the house when it was built so it's a actually a great deal, nice solid house ready for an extreme interior makeover, and landscaping looks pretty rough too.
jmarco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarco21 View Post
We just bought a big house with all worn contractor-grade finishes. It had been a rental the past 10 years and looks pretty rough. Think worst house in best neighborhood, and other buyers were passing on it. The seller's put all their money for upgrades into the bones of the house when it was built so it's a actually a great deal, nice solid house ready for an extreme interior makeover, and landscaping looks pretty rough too.
That sounds like an absolute dream of a project.

Can imagine the looks of the neighborhoods faces when you turn it around.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #13
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 4,392

I guess I was fortunate, I was raised in a DIY family and began learning as soon as i could pick up a hammer. However even in my mid 50s I continue to learn and love doing so.
calumingraining likes this.
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement