DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Hello, new guy from MA.

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
Just found the forum seems like a lot of knowledge here. Just actually finished up my own home however my mother just purchased one of her own.

So I pulled up to her 50k fixer upper (yea you read that right.... :censored: ) and just about instantly put my head down.

Ive seen this work done before as I've helped a friend out with his business at times when I was laid up but unfortunately that was years ago and hes no longer around.

So with a little bit of luck and maybe a couple more tools to the collection I can get this place ready to support life!

Cheers

Mark

#5 ·
I'll be spending some time up there on Sunday camera in hand, its going to look rough in the worst spots.

You know its just one of those things. She had a tough job after our father passed 12 years ago but she did what was needed for my siblings as I'm 32 now. She's always dreamed about her own little place in the woods so even though its going to be the harder route shes going to get it.

She's just lucky that I'm technically retired and bored out of my skull lol.

#4 ·
Yea seriously. In the end its going to be a matter of me having trouble determining a few calculations as far as ensuring joist span and size is appropriate but physically doing the repairs replacing the damage joists and beams I'm fine with. I could replace what is there and call it a day but that would mean I have to trust the sizing that was done previously. I do not like doing things twice!

The place has some pretty good potential. Only half the 2nd floor is a live load, the other side is a vaulted ceiling in the living room and your basic attic storage above the kitchen.

Its out in the mountains in the Berkshires so it will make a nice little place for Mom lol.

#7 ·
OEF in 2010, got a little banged up. Military Retired me early. Just have to take things slow and call it a early day when I aggravate things. My younger brother who was also Deployed with me will be helping and a couple of our dysfunctional friends as well. Should be a good time lol.

#9 ·
Thank you, as frustrating as I may find things I consider myself very fortunate. Flew back to the states on a Medical C17 flight and anybody that was conscious was silent the entire flight as one of the soldiers conditions became severe enough the docs were on him for the majority of the flight.

Its a shame we are staging for Iraq again and even Afghan is requesting we dont draw down as much as initially intended. Its as if we gave it back just to go get it back again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.