Flat Roof Issues - New Member Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > New Member Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

flat roof issues

Again, I am not a pro roofer or carpenter, but have hired many of each.

FOUR TIMES, over four decades, I hired pro carpenters/roofers to repair leaks of flat 8' overhang over porch-slab at entrance of our house and, each time, deferred to advice of the pro -- each time being told the 'other guys' did not do it right, and this time it would last as long as the rest of the roof.

Wrong.

FIFTH TIME I refused to defer to the supposedly superior knowledge of the pro, and told him, "Either you put some slope on it, or I hire someone else."

The built up roofing was removed and, at my insistence, a slope of 5 in 12 constructed. It's my property," I declared. And I'll take responsibility for what I require. Then I hired the whole roof to be redone (with insurance). And the sloped roof area over the front entrance never has leaked.

Actually, every time I buckled under to "professional advice," I told the pro what I wanted, and allowed myself to be talked out of it. Not EVERY homeowner is ALWAYS wrong.

Yes, I know there have been some newer materials that are reputed to make an excellent flat roof. But this is now. The above experiences were then.
hirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018, 01:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,600

Re: flat roof issues

Nothing new in that department. It's the same for all trades. Hire 2 electricians with credentials running out their tail pipes and the same story. Who in hell wired this mess.

I heard this on the Johnny Carson show about 40 years ago.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,544

Re: flat roof issues

There is something o be said about owners learning what should be done to make it work and give direction as you eventually did. Likely with more research the flat roof could have been made to work. Too often the suggestion are for what is best for the contractor rather than what is best for the home owner.
That is what is good about sites like this. A home owner can learn enough to dictate the repair he wants.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
flat versus pitched