DIY - Dad Always Said I Could Do Anything I Set My Mind To. - New Member Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > New Member Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2015, 01:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

DIY - Dad always said I could do anything I set my mind to.

I never thought much about the implications of such a statement when I was a kid. Reflecting on it now I can only muse he learned it himself; likely the hard way. My dad was a farmer, machinist, gun-smith as well as an Iwo Jima survivor. I was the older of two kids and though I was a girl (still am) I was the one who drove the tractor and the cotton picker, held the flashlight when he was rifling a barrel in the shop (closed in tractor barn), and generally got recruited to help out any way I could. I only wish I could tell him how grateful I am for installing in me that can do attitude.

Over the years I have laid shingles, installed hardwood flooring, tiled, plumbed, run electrical, hung and finished sheetrock, done framing and trim work, set cabinets, painted, papered and stripped through countless style changes. Much of the time I learned to do these things because I didn't have the funds to hire it out and either needed or wanted something done.

In 2001, when I first saw what I refer to as my 'retirement' home, I wasn't the least bit intimidated by the worn parquet entry, the gosh-awful yellow bamboo linoleum and dated kitchen cabinets. I knew we'd need to replace windows and do some fixin' but I also knew the house was solid built, in a great neighborhood, and that we had lots of time because I was at least twenty five years away from retirement.

Fortunately, our home is pretty much done. Remodeled three and a half baths, installed new hardwoods up and down, completely gutted the kitchen, and have replaced all but two windows.

By day I am a hospital-based nurse practitioner and work for a large oncology group caring for cancer patients. It is, by equal measure, brutal and rewarding. My son recently bought a home built in 1914 and I find myself starting over at his place. Knob and tube, brass water lines, and galvanized - oh my!

I spend every weekend there; I'm either crawling around the attic or in the crawl-space. We have run new wiring, and are neck- deep in plumbing. Some folks think I'm crazy to work seven days a week. What they don't get is the house and DIY time is my little reward. I get to do stuff I like to do, I get dirty and sweaty, I problem solve, I get to help my son (and save him some money), and spend time with my family. Then there is the real bonus - I get to pass on my dads legacy and teach my son he can do anything he sets his mind to.
barefootgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2015, 06:00 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I like your dad---sounds a bit like mine---

He once said," I'm as smart as that guy. If he can do it so can I."

Welcome,join right in--Mike---
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2015, 07:00 AM   #3
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

Welcome. My father made me who I am today as well. I have called past bosses to thank them for all they did for me. Just make sure to wear shoes while you work, can be dangerous otherwise.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 7,792

Welcome to the forums.

Your Dad sounds like a heck of a guy and just the kind of influence that a father should be.

Scary thing when you compared today's father to yesterdays in a bunch of ways.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 254

Great story. If only we all listened to the wisdom of our fathers. My dad wasn't much of a hands on teacher..........he worked 2, 3 jobs to keep food on our plates so he wasn't around much. I guess the bonus for me is that I HAD to figure things out on my own such as fixing a bicycle or lawnmower.......or it likely didn't get done. He was a painter and taught me the trade and for that I am forever grateful, but, I'd say he didn't teach it to me willingly.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement