Sideways Pictures - Site Help and Suggestions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 424

Sideways pictures

Phone is an iPhone 6s and it seems like the majority of the pictures taken end up sideways when uploading to user account & attaching to a post (see below). They seem to end up right when taken in landscape mode more often than when the phone is vertical. The only fix is to load image to PC -> open in paint -> rotate -> save as new image -> upload.

I thought there was a post awhile back discussing this, but having trouble locating it. Do any of you have this issue? Is there a way to fix this?

vertical

landscape
dtbingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Sideways pictures

There have been more than one post about that problem. I always thought that there was a bug in vBulliten software which powers this forum. Then I was told that it happens when an iPhone is turned/rotated, to get more into the picture. Do you rotate the phone?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
Administrator

Rewards Points: 2,192

This happens because the forum software is unable to read the EXIF data that is imprinted on the photo when you take it.

The EXIF data holds a lot of information, which includes the orientation of your photo. Many programs are able to read this, and that is why you see it displayed upright in some places, but many others still are not.

This is a good article that explains all of this: https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why...ectly-rotated/

The gist of it is, the phones are designed to work like a digital camera. Holding your digital camera flat, in landscape, is the 'base line'. Developers used this 'base line' in the following way for mobile devices:

Apple users: hold your phone with your VOLUME buttons DOWN.

Android users: hold your phone with your HOME button to the RIGHT.

It's completely against common sense since the volume button is used as a shutter button, so you would think the volume button should point UP! But that is how developers worked it out, so when you hold your phone upright, in portrait, it is the same as turning your digital camera 90 degrees to the side, to take a portrait photo. Since the forum cannot read the data that tells it which way you are holding your phone, it displays plainly from the 'base line' - whichever side your volume buttons are on will be the bottom of your photo (so if you take a photo with your volume buttons facing UP on your phone, the photo will display upside down when you upload it here).

There is not currently any plugins or hacks that we've come across that can allow the forum to read the EXIF data at this time.

The only way around it is, either hold your phones the way the developers decided you should, OR you can open the photos in an Editing program (not the viewer), and save them in the correct orientation (you might need to rename them, and crop off a pixel or two, to make sure a change is recognized).

Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 424

Ah got it, thanks. Maybe one day I'll experiment trying to make a batch script to auto rotate & rename - although one probably already exists haha.

I can sort of understand the iPhone "proper" orientation of having the volume buttons facing down. When taking a landscape photo, I usually have the right side of the phone held between my index and ring finger, allowing my thumb to hit the on-screen shutter button. On the left, my index finger holds the top of the phone and my thumb rests on the volume/shutter button to hold the bottom of the phone. Good chance I'm just weird though lol.
dtbingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Guapo

Quote:
There is not currently any plugins or hacks that we've come across that can allow the forum to read the EXIF data at this time.
It's not your job to find a plugin or a hack. It's vbulletin's job to patch it. I've been saying that forever but they say that it's not their problem.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,730

Generally, portrait (vertical) pictures should be avoided when posting on line or when using a digital video projector.

Unlike a slide projector, a video projector cannot display a vertical picture with the same height in inches or feet as the width of a horizontal picture.
Heat went off in the dead of winter? Excellent idea to be late or absent for work and to spend the day winterizing your house to keep pipes from freezing. Every house is different. For those of you not hit yet, think of what things you need to do.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,076

For some reason a lot of systems don't like the way Apple stores the EXIF data about orientation. No surprise there - Apple likes to do things differently.

But I'll second the suggestion to use "landscape" instead of "profile" for normal pictures. Unless you're taking a picture of a skyscraper or something, it's almost always better.

And please, please, if you're going to shoot video that might make it onto the news, or to post on line, ALWAYS use landscape!!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
Guapo

I had a friend do some testing with an iPhone 10. She took 2 pics, one with the phone in the normal position & with the normal shutter button. The second pic was with the phone rotated also using the normal shutter button. She sent both pics to her email & my email. She has AOL & it displayed both pics correctly. My email displayed the second pic rotated.

Then she took another pic with the phone rotated but used the down volume as the shutter button. She sent that to me & it displayed correctly.

That means that if the down volume button is used the when the phone is rotated, it will display the pic correctly.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,632

Windows 10 (and I presume apple?) don't "actually" rotate the image, they just do it for the thumbnail.

I have to manually rotate my image files with an editor to get them orientated correctly for uploading. In Windows 10 you can right click > Edit > and they'll open in paint where you click the rotate button and save so it's not too bad a process.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement