Backspace Key Would Cause Post To Disappear In Mid Post? - Site Help and Suggestions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,602

Backspace key would cause post to disappear in mid post?

I cannot reproduce this on demand, consistently but when I am typing a post in DIYChatroom sometimes hitting a backspace key would cause the entire post to disappear. Gone. It appears it was functioning as if it's a command to go back to the previous web page, and you have to start over.

The only workaround I have been using is to select all, copy for each new paragraph to minimize loss.

This doesn't happen all the time, and when it does happen it's really frustrating. Has this happened to anyone else? I am using Windows 8.1 with Firefox browser.

I don't know if this is related to the ads from the forum, videos would suddenly appear at one corner, or a new ad comes sliding down, pushing the screen further down or collapsing it up, and in the process, perhaps what I was typing the "cursor" may have been redirected or focused elsewhere because where my mouse cursor was is now somewhere else being the ad now shifted my entire screw? So if I was in the middle of typing a backspace may be like hitting a spot on an add?

Also I think there is a memory leak somewhere. This happens only on this forum. I cannot leave this site window up for a long time, it will get really sluggish and the memory for the page would go exponentially high to 400M, 600M, 800M...so now I do my post and kill the tab/window immediately. I think it has to do with some of the ads because nothing was happening except ads are playing.
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
Administrator

Rewards Points: 1,330

Re: Backspace key would cause post to disappear in mid post?

Can you tell me what version of Firefox you are running? The Version number?

With Window 8.1, you might be lagging behind current version, and so FF is having a harder time keeping up with sitesoftware/ads

Kevin

Old 02-22-2020, 06:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,602

I was on 72.0.2 and just updated to 73.0.1. But this has been an issue for a while, and I pretty much update FF on a weekly basis.

If I don't do anything on this site and just leave the window/tab open, fire up the task manager and I can see the memory for that window creep up very fast, and the only activity I can see happening are the video ads. The memory goes to over 1000, 2000, 3000Mbs. If I leave it for an hour the memory gets eaten up so much the machine gets super sluggish.

Firefox would pop up a message saying WARNING: UNRESPONSIVE SCRIPT

This can be reproduced every time, and of the many web sites I visit it only exhibit on this site and no where else, so I have a hard time concluding it's unique to my machine or OS or configuration.

The only workaround is to post/read what I need to post/read, then kill the window and never leave it open. If I forget and leave a window idle, I get into trouble.
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 11:56 AM   #4
Administrator

Rewards Points: 1,330

Are you seeing the video ads when signed in? Those shouldn't be loading for members.

Looks like you are still getting the most current version of Firefox, so we can close that line.

I guess you don't use any adblockers, but do you have any other extensions downloaded to your browser?

Kevin
Old Today, 01:35 PM   #5
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 974

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
I don't know if this is related to the ads from the forum, videos would suddenly appear at one corner, or a new ad comes sliding down, pushing the screen further down or collapsing it up, and in the process, perhaps what I was typing the "cursor" may have been redirected or focused elsewhere because where my mouse cursor was is now somewhere else being the ad now shifted my entire screw?
This exact scenario is what would happen to me anytime I used my little laptop where its memory is maxed out (too much bloatware I can't remove). Your above ^^ explanation is what I also assumed. I stopped using that little guy and now use my big boy computers on this site (same Chrome/10). The ad scripts on this site are somehow much more demanding than any other site I visit.
3onthetree is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement