Weekend Equipment Rental - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By l008com
  • 1 Post By Colbyt

Old 04-28-2019, 04:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 564
Send a message via AIM to l008com
Question

Weekend Equipment Rental

I swear I remember seeing ads on TV for one of the big tool rental places, that if you rented on a friday, you could keep it all weekend, return on monday, and only get charged for one day. But I'm looking around at all the companies that have places around me and I can't find anything but daily, weekly and monthly rates.

Am I imagining this? Or was this a temporary thing they got rid of? I'm looking to rent a towable 35' lift for a day. At ~$400 a day, I'm only renting for one day. But having it for a whole weekend for $400 would really take the hustle out of the job, which is good since I've never used a lift like that so there will likely be a slow learning curve before I get fast at the controls and can also go full height without
l008com is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 04:40 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,502

Re: Weekend Equipment Rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I swear I remember seeing ads on TV for one of the big tool rental places, that if you rented on a friday, you could keep it all weekend, return on monday, and only get charged for one day. But I'm looking around at all the companies that have places around me and I can't find anything but daily, weekly and monthly rates.

Am I imagining this? Or was this a temporary thing they got rid of? I'm looking to rent a towable 35' lift for a day. At ~$400 a day, I'm only renting for one day. But having it for a whole weekend for $400 would really take the hustle out of the job, which is good since I've never used a lift like that so there will likely be a slow learning curve before I get fast at the controls and can also go full height without
Find one that is closed on sunday and rent it for 24 hours and have them deliver it sat. morning and they can pick it up sunday morn. That works here.
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 04:52 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 594

Around here all the rental places are open on saturday but not sunday. A 24 hr rental on saturday means you don't need to bring it back until monday morning.
Bondo and Johnny_inFL like this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 04:53 AM   #4

It looks like my local Sunbelt is closed saturday and sunday. No mention of rates though, I left them a message. They're a lot more than home depot but if I essentially get friday night, saturday, sunday, and monday morning, it's well worth it!
Nealtw likes this.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,659

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
Around here all the rental places are open on saturday but not sunday. A 24 hr rental on saturday means you don't need to bring it back until monday morning.

What Mark said is correct for these parts with a caveat, a lot of motorized equipment gives you a maximum hours of usage. The equipment has an hour meter on the engine.

I've never paid extra for just an extra hour or two but am sure I would be billed if I ran it 24 hours a day.

Sat -Mon is called a one day rental but verify.
Bud9051 likes this.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,798

Well, rental companies are not stupid and they know what you want to do, pay for one day and use it for three. Not slamming you as everyone would like that deal. But it has to work to the rental company's benefit as well as yours.

When a rental company is left with that machine setting idle over the weekend they have to make a decision, offer the 3 day special and potentially incur a lot more hours of use than a one day rental would or let it sit there. Depreciation on equipment like that is based upon hours of use just like a car's mileage. It is a supply and demand issue and if they can rent everything they have for longer terms there will be no weekend specials.

Ask for an hours' worth of practice a day or two before it gets delivered. It isn't a crazy request as I've had big equipment rentals dropped off with virtually zero instructions and had to do the learning curve myself. Having someone instruct you who knows how to use the machine and not just deliver it would be a help.

Take a peek at their lot on a weekend when they are closed and see if any of those lifts are sitting there. If they are all out, they don't need to deal.

Bud
Old 04-28-2019, 07:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Well, rental companies are not stupid and they know what you want to do, pay for one day and use it for three. Not slamming you as everyone would like that deal. But it has to work to the rental company's benefit as well as yours.

When a rental company is left with that machine setting idle over the weekend they have to make a decision, offer the 3 day special and potentially incur a lot more hours of use than a one day rental would or let it sit there. Depreciation on equipment like that is based upon hours of use just like a car's mileage. It is a supply and demand issue and if they can rent everything they have for longer terms there will be no weekend specials.

Ask for an hours' worth of practice a day or two before it gets delivered. It isn't a crazy request as I've had big equipment rentals dropped off with virtually zero instructions and had to do the learning curve myself. Having someone instruct you who knows how to use the machine and not just deliver it would be a help.

Take a peek at their lot on a weekend when they are closed and see if any of those lifts are sitting there. If they are all out, they don't need to deal.

Bud
I'd be getting a towable lift so I'd be picking it up, not getting it delivered. But yeah if they'd show me how it works the day before without making a stink about it, that would be handy. And as for their lot, I go by this place all the time and it is always LOADED with lifts. I've never seen the lot even remotely empty. That said, I've never paid attention to which kind they are. Maybe the small towables are always in demand and its just giant ones that rarely get rented, who knows.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:47 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,798

I didn't see the actual job mentioned, inside, outside, scissor style, or articulating (?).

35' sounds like an outdoor lift and I have used both scissor style and articulating but both are primarily for people and have limited load capacity. They also like somewhat level ground.

Just curious.
Bud
Old 04-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #9

35' towable outdoor lift. My yard is fairly level and these have self leveling legs. I'm going to be doing some tree trimming with it. I don't think they have engines, I think they are plug in electric or battery powered. But I'm not totally sure on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement