Undersized Thinner Gauge Extension Cord Without Burning Up The Tool? - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Bud9051
  • 3 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By firehawkmph
  • 1 Post By iamrfixit

Old 04-03-2019, 01:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 228

undersized thinner gauge extension cord without burning up the tool?

My dad once used a 14ga 50' with a 16ga 100' cord, connected to a 12 amp leaf blower.
The manual said a 12ga 100' was needed.

He used it for several minutes, and luckily it didn't burn out.

So I'm wondering how long I could usually use a tool without burning it up.

I have an 8 amp electric chain saw which I want to use to cut a few branches, but all I have is a 16ga 100' cord.

I figured I could cut a 4" branch, and let it cool down, and go again without burning up the motor?

What's your guys' experience with undersized extension cords?
pman626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 01:11 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,102

Re: undersized thinner gauge extension cord without burning up the tool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman626 View Post
My dad once used a 14ga 50' with a 16ga 100' cord, connected to a 12 amp leaf blower.
The manual said a 12ga 100' was needed.

He used it for several minutes, and luckily it didn't burn out.

I have an 8 amp electric chain saw which I want to use to cut a few branches, but all I have is a 16ga 100' cord.

I figured I could cut a 4" branch, and let it cool down, and go again without burning up the motor?

What's your guys' experience with undersized extension cords?
I think motors are stupid they will take full amperage until the cord melts and quits. I doubt that would hurt the motor.
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 06:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,722

Having an electric chain saw automatically says you need the appropriate extension cord. A light gauge power cord will cause a voltage drop so the motor will get less than it needs and possible struggle like it is under a heavy load. That can cause arching on the armature which can do damage even if used only a short period of time, in other words, the damage can accumulate even if you allow it to cool off.

Your saw can last a long time so pick up a proper extension cord to eliminate the risk of damage.

Bud
Bondo and MTN REMODEL LLC like this.
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,124

Quote:

Ayuh,..... It'll work,...... til it Don't,......
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,416

Whatever you do, don't let the smoke out. They only put in so much at the factory and once it's all gone, the tool won't work. Buy a couple of proper extension cords.
Mike Hawkins
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:15 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 830

A too small cord can definitely damage the motor. I tried to caution a friend of mine several years ago but he didn't listen. I had stopped by to help him lift a beam into place when I noticed he was running his new dewalt circular saw on a couple hundred feet of cords. The cords were a small gauge, 100 ft orange cords probably about 16ga. The saw was noticeably slower to spin up and under-powered due to the voltage drop. A couple days of light use was all it took to burn the motor up. The cords did heat up, but didn't melt or fail. It burned the brushes and damaged the commutator/armature, the repair estimate was near the cost of the saw.

A good, heavy cord is expensive but a necessity for tools like that. I don't like electric lawn tools for that reason, they are too often needed far from power. Almost cheaper to get a gas saw or even a cordless chain saw rather than buy and then have to drag around those long cords. I've used dewalt's new cordless trimmer and cordless hedge trimmer and they are very impressive, the chain saw gets good reviews but haven't tried it.
Bondo likes this.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 362

Smaller gauge extension cord means less current delivered to the motor and less power for cutting. With less power it will take longer to make cuts and could damage the motor unless it has a thermal overload fuse that can be reset.

I would approach it differently and take longer to cut the limb using less pressure with the chainsaw head. I have a 20v battery powered chainsaw that is OK for a 4" limb if I take my time and let the teeth gradually cut away at the wood.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement