Tool Rules - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree66Likes

Old 12-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,638

Tool rules

Just about says it all.
Attached Thumbnails
Tool rules-toolrules.jpg  
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2018, 11:03 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,438

Re: Tool rules

Yep; the only way that I loan mine, is if I go along with them, and use them myself, then when I leave, my tools come with me.

That way I know that they are only used for ED approved activities.

And I get them returned.

ED
ron45 likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,624

I worked for a GC once and his right hand man had those rules for his tools. One day, I mistakenly used one of his extension cords as I had forgotten mine. He never, ever talked to me again. Wasn't too happy with me using his stuff and I couldn't blame him.
de-nagorg likes this.
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,862

As a general rule I do not loan out my tools.

About 25-30 years ago, I began acquiring my own woodworking tools. At the time I had a basic inexpensive circular saw I picked up in a pawn shop.

I guy I knew once borrowed that saw.

When he returned it, there was electrical tape wrapped around the middle of the power cord.

When I asked him about it, he said that he had accidentally sawed through the cord while cutting a piece of lumber. As he is telling me this, he is laughing the whole time.

I did not find anything about the whole incident the least bit funny.

He did not even offer to pay for a replacement cord.

Granted it was a cheap saw, but I take care of my tools. I replaced the cord and served me well until I replaced it with a better model. I eventually gave it to a relative.

You just cannot trust people anymore.
de-nagorg and ron45 like this.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,624

What is it about loaning stuff out that causes people to treat it like it's trash? Or, worse yet, they borrow it then it suddenly becomes THEIRS. I just don't get it. I used to loan out VHS tapes, DVD's, and blue rays, back in the day and about 70% of the people (friends) never gave them back. In fact, one friend who I highly trusted, kept my "A Christmas Story" VHS tape for 10 years before I swiped it back from his house. I don't think he ever watched it.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,134

I hated when I loaned a tool to some one and forgot who I loaned it to and they never returned it. A couple of my guys would come over to the shop on the weekend and pick up a tool we used every day at work. Come Monday we need the tool and one of them would say, I forgot it. That really ticked me off, made them clock out and go get it and I finally started locking the shop where no one could get in over the week end.

I very seldom will loan tools now, except to a buddy across the street. But even he last time didn't bring back my wet tile saw for almost two months longer than he said he was needing it. On top of that, he hadn't even started to use it. Didn't use my tile saw on his job that time, I told him I would sell it to him, he didn't want to buy it.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 22,666

I have a friend who will loan me his log splitter. It always goes back to him with a full tank of gas.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
retired painter

Rewards Points: 562

I seldom loan out tools although my kids do get preferential treatment. It seems to me that those richer than me are less likely to take care of borrowed tools than the rest.
de-nagorg likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,258

I honestly, absolutely hate to borrow anything from anyone. I just have this feeling that it will break while I am using it, and then I will feel obligated to buy them a new one. With this logic, I talk myself into buying it for me first. Then I will have it!
Old 12-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,764

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
I have a friend who will loan me his log splitter. It always goes back to him with a full tank of gas.

And that's the way to do it. I like to return something borrowed - even a machine from a rental shop - in at least the same condition I got it and preferably better or cleaner.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #11
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
I honestly, absolutely hate to borrow anything from anyone. I just have this feeling that it will break while I am using it, and then I will feel obligated to buy them a new one. With this logic, I talk myself into buying it for me first. Then I will have it!
Same here, If I have to borrow something, I will just buy it.

Loaning my son tools was like throwing them out in the yard, that is about where they would wind up anyway. That little dickens lost more of my tools than I ever did my whole life. He borrowed my mechanic tools and lost so many of them it was unreal. I had about three sets in one tool box. I gave them to him and told him he was not going to borrow any more of my tools.

I bought a complete new set of wrenches and etc. It wasn't three weeks he asked to borrow my tools. I told him nope, ain't gonna do it. He said, I see how you are, I said, likewise. lol
Gymschu, de-nagorg and mark sr like this.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:23 PM   #12
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,258

My first memory of tool lending. I was about five, and my father had just purchased a shiny white Craftsman rototiller. I remember he tilled his garden and did some tilling for others as well. But it wasn't long before a neighbor asked to borrow it. A couple days later the neighbor brought it back with a broken wheel. He told my father his tiller had a broken wheel, thanked him for letting him use it, and then left.

My father wasn't someone to hold a grudge, but over the next 50 years as neighbors, I don't think my father ever spoke to him again!
de-nagorg and Drachenfire like this.

Last edited by Yodaman; 12-27-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,862

It is not just tool lending. It is also the people who use tools paid for by their company.

Here are two examples.

Once I was watching a crew take down a tree. I watched one of the workers who was using the chain saw. He would cut a limb and then just drop the chain saw on the ground or throw it out of the way. Granted, chain saws are somewhat robust but even they have their breaking point if dropped often enough. Clearly he did not care since he was not the one paying for the tools.

On another occasion I was working telco. The company provided all of our tools which were all Klein (i.e. not cheap). At the time if you lost a tool, you simply went to the warehouse and got a replacement.

We had one guy (we will call him Bonehead) who would sell some of his tools to friends when he needed extra cash and then go get a replacement.

The warehouse manager noticed the pattern which led to changes in company policy.

Now anyone who lost a tool had the replacement taken out of their pay.

The policy went into effect just after Bonehead had sold about $100 worth of his tools. When he found out he was financially on the hook for the tools, he scrambled to get them back from the people he sold them to.

In all the time I worked for that company, the only tool I ever had to replace was a pair of 6-inch side cutters. And I did not lose them. I was inserting a ground wire on the ground bar in a panel box when the pliers slipped and touched off the 220 line melting the tip. When the warehouse manager found out what happen he just gave the replacement since, as he put described it, "it was an on-the-job injury".

The point is how careless some people are with tools when they did not pay for them.
de-nagorg and Yodaman like this.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #14
Still learning every day!

Rewards Points: 770

Different take on the same principle... my wife does tons of canning and spent many years giving away jars of jams and butters, only to find that perhaps 1 out of every ten people ever returned the jars. My advice to folks who received her goodies was this... "Returning the jar is your "ticket" to a repeat gift".

As for my tools... they don't go anywhere without me.
de-nagorg and Drachenfire like this.

Bark less, wag MORE, and Show Compassion to everyone you meet!
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
Different take on the same principle... my wife does tons of canning and spent many years giving away jars of jams and butters, only to find that perhaps 1 out of every ten people ever returned the jars. My advice to folks who received her goodies was this... "Returning the jar is your "ticket" to a repeat gift".

As for my tools... they don't go anywhere without me.

Regarding your wife's jars, I'm pretty sure the jar is considered to be part of the gift. So, they may not know that she expects it back.

https://www.thekitchn.com/do-you-return-jam-jars-174351
Yodaman likes this.

Last edited by Nik333; 01-08-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement