Stihl Trimmer Dying - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 04-27-2020, 08:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 876

Stihl Trimmer Dying

I have a Stihl FS56RC Trimmer. While using the unit, while the throttle is pressed, the trimmer dies. I am typically able to get the trimmer to restart. On occasion, the unit will not restart and I have to wait a bit and it will restart and I begin the same circle again.

Any ideas as to what might be happening? Bad gas, carburetor. Something else?
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020, 09:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 736

Re: Stihl Trimmer Dying

A spark arrestor screen (outlet of the muffler) that is completely clogged with carbon can produce the symptoms that you describe. Here’s how to correct it.

Chris

Windows on Wash likes this.
Chris616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020, 09:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris616 View Post
A spark arrestor screen (outlet of the muffler) that is completely clogged with carbon can produce the symptoms that you describe. Here’s how to correct it.

Chris

I acquired this unit and it has no spark arrestor. I have previously checked for one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020, 09:55 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 12,450

I would have guessed arrestor like Chris said.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 456

With the die, wait, and then it starts scenario, I would check that the fuel vent. A plugged vent is like holding your finger over the end of a straw, creating a vacuum that stops the flow of fuel. If not that I would probably replace the carburetor.
Windows on Wash likes this.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 18,800

Checked the air filter and fuel filter in the tank?
I like to check the cheap easy stuff first.
The carb's I buy on EBAY come with a new fuel and air filter, spark plug, fuel lines and only cost about $13.00.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
With the die, wait, and then it starts scenario, I would check that the fuel vent. A plugged vent is like holding your finger over the end of a straw, creating a vacuum that stops the flow of fuel. If not that I would probably replace the carburetor.
Where is the fuel vent?
Old 04-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #8

Sometimes it's in the cap, and sometimes it's a separate device on the end of a fuel line, tucked in behind the tank.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,664

If it has some age consider checking all those little hoses for cracks, especially where they bend and connect.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennykenny View Post
Where is the fuel vent?
sorry, I figured out the vent location
Old 05-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #11

I elected to go online and purchase a new carburetor kit after trying all of the suggestions given with no luck. This leads to a couple of other questions. In the kit, among other things, there is a black rubber grommet. Where does the grommet go? Secondly, I am assuming that even though the carburetor is new, it will need to be adjusted? If so, any tips/tricks on how to adjust it?

Thanks as always!
Old 05-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #12

Kits often cover several different models, so the grommet may not be applicable in your case. What size is it? Is it possible that it goes on the back side of the air cleaner where it bolts to the carburetor? Most of the time the carburetor will be close enough that you can start it and then adjust it if necessary. You might find a setting in the manual, which you should be able to download at the manufacturer's site if you don't have it. If you can't come up with anything that way and still want to check it, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns is fairly common. That's turns out from all the way in, but you don't want to force it, so just run it in gingerly with your fingers, or use a screwdriver if you have to, but just to where it stops. Don't tighten it. Then back it out. Either way, whether you want to try it before you get it started or after, I would count the turns in so that you at least have a starting point in case you end up with it where it won't start.
SeniorSitizen likes this.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Kits often cover several different models, so the grommet may not be applicable in your case. What size is it? Is it possible that it goes on the back side of the air cleaner where it bolts to the carburetor? Most of the time the carburetor will be close enough that you can start it and then adjust it if necessary. You might find a setting in the manual, which you should be able to download at the manufacturer's site if you don't have it. If you can't come up with anything that way and still want to check it, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns is fairly common. That's turns out from all the way in, but you don't want to force it, so just run it in gingerly with your fingers, or use a screwdriver if you have to, but just to where it stops. Don't tighten it. Then back it out. Either way, whether you want to try it before you get it started or after, I would count the turns in so that you at least have a starting point in case you end up with it where it won't start.
Thank you!! When you say what size is it, are you referring to what size is the grommet?
Old 05-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #14

Yes, the grommet. Specifically I was wondering if it was the size of the carburetor throat and, as I suggested, could possibly go between the carburetor and air cleaner. Otherwise I don't know where it might go.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennykenny View Post
Thank you!! When you say what size is it, are you referring to what size is the grommet?
No where in the shipping information does it state the exact size of the grommet. I measures across the top and it is 1/2 inch. Hopefully this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Stihl Trimmer Dying-grom.jpg   Stihl Trimmer Dying-grom1.jpg   Stihl Trimmer Dying-grom2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement