Organizing All Tools In Boxes - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
Young Bachelor

Rewards Points: 475

Organizing all tools in boxes

I have an issue where I have acquired many many tools during a house build. I started off smart with the same brand and sizes of toolboxes but through the duration of the build and gifts I have ended up with about 5 toolboxes and only 2 that match. I have been trying to figure out a way to sort through all of my tools but what I have found is I use one big box for nearly everything and then the other 4 are like easter egg hunts while trying to find a specific item or tool that I obviously don't use as frequently.

For those of you who do it all and not just one trade, what method do you use to keep things organized? If I was a DIYer staying in one location I'd just use the garage! However, I am on the go and may be doing say another build or another construction job and haven't found an efficient method. I have looked into the Bosch L boxes as I have some of them with tools, but they are extremely pricey for the lack of storage space they offer.

Right now I am between pulling my hair out, and using one box per "trade" but this quickly becomes ineffective with bigger tools, or items such as all the outlet boxes, plates, switches, etc and then there's no room for actual electrical tools.

Last edited by CTSNicholas; 01-03-2017 at 03:35 PM.
CTSNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 50

Re: Organizing all tools in boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSNicholas View Post
I have an issue where I have acquired many many tools during a house build. I started off smart with the same brand and sizes of toolboxes but through the duration of the build and gifts I have ended up with about 5 toolboxes and only 2 that match. I have been trying to figure out a way to sort through all of my tools but what I have found is I use one big box for nearly everything and then the other 4 are like easter egg hunts while trying to find a specific item or tool that I obviously don't use as frequently.

For those of you who do it all and not just one trade, what method do you use to keep things organized? If I was a DIYer staying in one location I'd just use the garage! However, I am on the go and may be doing say another build or another construction job and haven't found an efficient method. I have looked into the Bosch L boxes as I have some of them with tools, but they are extremely pricey for the lack of storage space they offer.

Right now I am between pulling my hair out, and using one box per "trade" but this quickly becomes ineffective with bigger tools, or items such as all the outlet boxes, plates, switches, etc and then there's no room for actual electrical tools.
I recently bought both the Dewalt tough boxes, and the Ridgid boxes. The big lower box has wheels and all of the boxes stack and latch together. The Dewalts cost a bit more, but overall I like them better.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 09:18 PM   #3
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 696

The guys on Contractor Talk are between Ridgid, DeWalt, and Festool Systainers, although the latter are quite expensive. I'd do the Ridgid if it were me.
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,578

which system you chose can be better suited to specific types of tools

i have the dewalt tough boxes which i use for my 18v cordless tools and for carrying framing tools.

for finish tools i use the bosch lboxx's made by sortimo. the lboxxs have 4 basic boxes in different sizes and then they have drawers along with a box they call the 3d.. its bascially the lboxx -2 with space for 2 of the drawers. their lboxx 1a is outfitted with small containers which you can use to hold small parts or fasteners..
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,066

Big fan of the Ridgid boxes. I have a couple stacks now and they're organized fairly well for me.
Big box with wheels holds the heavier tools (like wormdrive saw) and two medium sized boxes sit on that so they can all get wheeled around. One medium box is hand tools that goes every where. Another medium box holds some Makita cordless tools and charger; sawzall, 6" circular saw, impact driver, and batteries. Small box holds drill, impact, all the bits.
Another wheeled box holds the nail guns and nails and I put my compressor on top of that so I can just wheel it as one kit instead of carrying all those heavy things.
That usually covers it for the everyday stuff and then I have three of the Ridgid milk crates that hold all the materials and oddball stuff for that particular job.
I can usually load and unload just about everything I need in two wheeled stacks. So much nicer than making a million trips with two tool cases each.
One other thing is that you should get some colored tape for each box and label what it is. That'll save you a lot of opening and closing of the wrong box.
NotyeruncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement