DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Most Helpful Non-Standard Tool

3K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  SeniorSitizen 
#1 ·
What is a tool that you bought that is not part of a normal low-end toolset, that you now can't seem to do without? We all have crescent wrenches, vise grips, and hammers...

Recently I was working on my ATV and needed something strong that could latch down, but was in a very tight spot. I went to the tool store and...

Needle-nose vise grips! What an amazing tool that has bailed me out a few times since.

Anyone else have a non-standard tool that you love?

#4 ·
That's crazy, before I even opened the thread the first thing that popped into my head was a cat's paw. Just recently started using one to redo some roof sheathing and I think it's probably the most handy tool I've ever bought.

Josh

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Painter's Multi tool comes in handy around most jobs. I carry one in my overalls at all times. Sharpen it on a water stone as required. Some of them have a spot to plug in a 1 inch bit for drywall screws. You can change it for other tips as required.

Reactions: Gymschu
#7 ·
My kitchen has a welders' chipping hammer hanging from a peg. Originally bought to break apart frozen together ice cubes, most days I use it to punch an air hole in the bottoms of cans (so the contents slip easily out).

Turnabout is fair play: A large shot glass gives me just the right amount of Japan dryer, Penetrol, or Flotrol to add to a gallon of paint (as appropriate).

A plastic putty knife is pretty good at removing grass clumps from within the lawnmower.

#8 · (Edited)
My kitchen has a welders' chipping hammer hanging from a peg. Originally bought to break apart frozen together ice cubes, most days I use it to punch an air hole in the bottoms of cans (so the contents slip easily out).
I was a kid before electricity was discovered and we had ice boxes. :wink2: Therefore I was raised with an ice pick in the house to poke holes in things that needed holes punched, but Dad had a leather punch for harness repair.

So the uncommon ice pick in today's world but still in use at our house.

#10 · (Edited)
My father bought this little knife for me at a souvenir stand when I was about 5 years old. Probably cost a quarter back then. I still have it 50+ years later. It is the perfect size and shape for all kinds of tasks where you need to pick at something or scrape something. And I use it every day as a letter opener.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it's about 4" long. (No, the compass never actually worked.)

Today, they'd throw my father in jail for buying a kid a deadly "weapon.":biggrin2:

Attachments

#12 ·
55 years of fixin and doin, The most useful tool and the most expensive I have in my tool kit is EXPERIENCE.

Then there is the Swiss army knife in my pocket.

ED

#13 ·
Ahh, the good old Swiss Army Knife! The idea of having one tool serve several needs is up there with questing after the Holy Grail.

Picking through the bins at Tractor Supply, I was intrigued by two variations on the ratchet.

One version had the handle come to a point- useful for lining things up. At the head, a hammer face was formed. The head had a 3/8 drive on one side, and a 1/2" drive on the other.

The other version placed a 3/8" ratchet drive at the end of the handle on a Crescent wrench.

I once saw a guy combine a Crescent wrench and Channellocks into one tool - pliers on one end, wrench on the other. Looked sensible.

#19 ·
Much too small for an oil filter, and any fuel cartridges that I remember.
I think that you might be very close when you use it to remove aerators.

ED

#21 ·

For automotive work I've got a commercial grade 1/2" drive "flex shaft" that's sort of like this. I'm stunned by how often I use it, and how well it works.

In the carpentry realm, I'd have to say my cordless DeWALT circular saw is my biggest surprise. I don't know when the last time was that I broke out the electric 7-1/2" Makita.

#25 ·
Some of you will laugh at this one, but, since I am a painter this tool is invaluable for so many things. And, when you don't have one in the tool box it stinks. I use is to scrape old paint off of window glass, use it to open the end of a tube of caulk, and, use it as a scraper to get those stubborn THIN layers of paint off, and, in some instances, I use it to scrape off stubborn wallpaper.

Attachments

#27 ·
A lot of great tools listed here. The cats paw is definitely one of the most versatile demo tools available. I bought an oscillating tool for one project and I wouldn't have imagined how often I use it. Another tool that I love is a right angle drill attachment for getting into hard to reach areas. This small simple tool has saved my butt a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Maintaining apartment units, my favorite tool is a 6 way screwdriver. 5/16th, 1/4 inch nut drivers along with 2 each Phillips and straight bits.
Use them for appliances, opening a/c and furnace panels or changing out elect. outlets.

Bought a visor with a built in flashlight awhile back - my vision is getting bad.:glasses:

#31 ·
Had forgotten about this one until Tizzer mentioned his visor, but my non standard .89 cent ( batteries included ) head lamp goes where ever I go every morning from bout 5:00 AM until sun up and often to look in darker places after that.

My wife is a hellofah seamstress but I beat her on this one because she doesn't know how to sew a round flashlight to the bill of a ball cap:biggrin2:and wasn't one bit interested learning how.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.