Help What Is This? - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By CodeMatters
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
  • 2 Post By Nealtw
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 04-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1
Default

Help what is this?


Says England n thou...has belt case...
Attached Thumbnails
Help what is this?-received_434997533740431_1556476853092.jpeg   Help what is this?-received_278097946407892_1556476866211.jpeg   Help what is this?-received_2065300717102233_1556476874331.jpeg   Help what is this?-received_2314365048779953_1556476890571.jpeg   Help what is this?-received_629855327488025_1556476924613.jpeg  

Lstarks7987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,207
Rewards Points: 1,980
Default

Re: Help what is this?


My guess would be some sort of tourge gauge or measuring device. Idk.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-28-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,899
Rewards Points: 6,718
Default

Re: Help what is this?


Yeah. Seems like it is used to make evenly spaced marks.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
Member
 
CodeMatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,104
Rewards Points: 6,206
Default

Re: Help what is this?


Does the little rod move in and out when the dial is turned? If so my guess
would be tire tread depth gauge.
lenaitch likes this.
CodeMatters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
Usually Confused
 
lenaitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,777
Rewards Points: 1,784
Default

Re: Help what is this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMatters View Post
Does the little rod move in and out when the dial is turned? If so my guess
would be tire tread depth gauge.

Seems a little elaborate (and little wide) but could be. Or something similar. I get the sense that it is very industry specific and mean for quickly checking rather than constructing (it can't be from their auto manufacturing - no British car had anything with that tight a tolerance ). Something like, like railroading or something.



The side with the 'probe' has a lip or edge. Does that probe move in and out as Code asks or does it move around inside its opening? It doesn't appear to be centred. Not much space to move around but it's intended to measure in thousands.
Nealtw likes this.
__________________
_________________________________________
Who Dares Wins
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #6
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,457
Rewards Points: 14,806
Default

Re: Help what is this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Seems a little elaborate (and little wide) but could be. Or something similar. I get the sense that it is very industry specific and mean for quickly checking rather than constructing (it can't be from their auto manufacturing - no British car had anything with that tight a tolerance ). Something like, like railroading or something.



The side with the 'probe' has a lip or edge. Does that probe move in and out as Code asks or does it move around inside its opening? It doesn't appear to be centred. Not much space to move around but it's intended to measure in thousands.
I was thinking along the same lines , check the diameter of brake drum and maybe the depth of the rivets in old brake shoes.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
Usually Confused
 
lenaitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,777
Rewards Points: 1,784
Default

Re: Help what is this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I was thinking along the same lines , check the diameter of brake drum and maybe the depth of the rivets in old brake shoes.

On further thought, the 'probe' looks quite rounded and not consistent with micro measurement for a lateral direction, but then again the pic is a bit blurry.
Nealtw likes this.
__________________
_________________________________________
Who Dares Wins
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:23 PM   #8
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,457
Rewards Points: 14,806
Default

Re: Help what is this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
On further thought, the 'probe' looks quite rounded and not consistent with micro measurement for a lateral direction, but then again the pic is a bit blurry.
Well it is not a tool used all day or the holster would be open on top but it needs to be handy for who ever uses it, so it is some kind of inspection aid. I think.
lenaitch and CodeMatters like this.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts