DIY Table Saw Which Of These Are Better - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 60

DIY Table Saw which of these are better

Doing small projects mainly
kobalt KT1015 or ryobi rts22

Can't decide which of the two is the better saw
man00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,568

Re: DIY Table Saw which of these are better

I am not necessarily familiar with either model..... but, I was surprised by the HO or DIYer quality of Royabi. Specifically a table saw we had to employ when my contractor dewalt went down while out in Ca.

We borrowed a neighbors, (and while it was not a UNI saw), for Home owner use I thought it was excellent/light/and stored nice. Plus I believe it was very inexpensive.

Good luck
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 12,234

I have use a bosch with a similar stand as the Kobalt, no fear of pushing it over with a full sheet of 5/8 plywood.

https://www.lowes.ca/table-saws/bosc...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 22

I have a Delta portable 10" that's fine for most of the projects I do. Very similar to the two you're looking at. Which I'm sure either will be fine for most anything you need to do. All that being said, once I became familiar with my saw and it's capabilities I wish I had sprung for something a little more on the professional side. Here's one I like that I've been looking at but reluctant to pull the trigger on since my Delta is only about two years old. I have already had to replace the fence. If I had it to do over this would be more like it.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/f...ip-1-75hp-110v
Just something to think about.
My analogy is the novice motorcyclist. You'll soon outgrown that little 500 and wish you had gotten that 1600 or 1800 cc bike instead.
hawkvtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,100

IMO, Ryobi's are disposable. Weak direct drive motors burn up rather quickly, and cost more to replace than the entire saw cost.

I have a Ridgid on a gurney in my jobsite trailer and a Delta Unisaw in the shop. I would still choose something with better quality, even for HO use.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,844

I returned ryobi on questionable switch as well as the vibration. Settled on kobalt with push stand. Tested on the store displays only but kobalt fence held better than dewalt. Small models only. I think the zero clearance plate supports were better on kobalt also.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,330

Dewalt dwe7480 will do most all that homeowners need. I love mine.....and use it for most everything.....and it is on sale for Lowe’s for around $300. And the thing is, that I actually own a $2,500 Unisaw......that is a beautiful thing.....but just too big for small projects.
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:49 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 390

Doing small projects doesn't answer what raw material size will you be using for these small projects ? If you have to rip or cross cut a 4x8 of anything the smaller saws are tough to do that on by yourself the table size just isn't large enough . Can you do it ? Yes you can but not safely in my opinion . I have an old 9 " Makita table saw that is great for small stuff , small stuff to me is 2x6 and smaller . The fence is " good enough " for the small stuff .

I picked up a Delta 10 " contractors saw years ago for the bigger stuff like 4 x 8 . Still have to muscle a 4x8 but with the larger table/extensions it is much safer . And a higher quality fence . I still use both to this day it just depends on the size of the job . I picked up the Delta used for $100.00 about 10 years ago I'll never lose money at that price . I have never been a fan of Ryobi just my opinion . Good luck with whatever you choose . Two important points , keep sharp blades on whatever you choose and complete the project with all 10 digits intact ! It's a tool with the potential to bite hard and fast .
Porsche986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:04 PM   #9

For the money, I'm going Delta 36-725 all day long. Not portable, but on a rolling base. A great compromise between the contractor saw (which no home owner is ever going to be truly happy with IMO, because they never use the portability) and a full blown cabinet saw.
Brian Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:20 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 50

I only had the Kobalt KT1015 and it can't be easily used without its rolling stand.
jecapereca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:36 AM   #11
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,030

Since I am downsizing my shop, we just bought a DWE7491RS saw. I am selling my Unisaw, just don't need a saw that large anymore. I personally had a bad experience with Ryobi years back and just don't trust their products any more.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 78

My experience with Ryobi is (was!) that they used nylon gears in their battery powered drills and their drill bits were one-time use.
ChuckTin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:49 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 220

the ryobi might be better.

I have the kobalt 1015. I got it black friday 2017 for like $135 after coupon. and I think that's the max this is worth.

So, for the money, it's a decent saw, but I had to use hacks to make it work a little better.

The first flaw is that the kobalt table top isn't perfectly flat. Mine crowns a bit near the throat plate. So on bigger wider pieces of wood, obviously I'll get imprecise cuts.

The height crank would also move during cuts due to vibration, so I had to use pliers to lock it in place.

Also, the throat plate isn't flat, so it never sits flush with the table top, so sometimes wood gets jammed on the edge while pushing it through, or wood gets cut a little lopsided.

The only solution is to make your own throat plate, and maybe you might get lucky with a flatter table top.

From what I've seen, other brands of table saws have flatter table tops. You'll need to use a large square to see how flat your table is.
pman626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 306

Small contractor grade table saws crossover to work well as homeowner DIY table saws and the newer ones from DeWalt and Bosch come out top in the testing. One very important consideration is the support provided by the fence for ripping large sheets of plywood. I replaced my 10" Porter-Cable with a 12" DeWalt DWS7085 for this reason. I also gained in the thickness of the wood I could cut without resorting to a compound miter saw.

Every other month Home Depot will has a sale with a DeWalt roller stand including for free with a DeWalt table saw. Save $200 and the DeWalt stand is excellent for home use. I roll my table saw outdoors as when I am done I can fire up the leaf blower and deal with all the sawdust that I blow into the shrubbery.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement