Dewalt 20V Right Angle Drill? - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Gymschu
  • 1 Post By joecaption
  • 1 Post By ron45
  • 1 Post By Bigplanz
  • 1 Post By raylo32
  • 1 Post By Bigplanz

Old 10-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,676

Dewalt 20V right angle drill?

I am thinking about getting one, not because I need it, but because it is $85 on Amazon. Opinions on its usefulness, build qualitg, etc would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 608

Re: Dewalt 20V right angle drill?

When I was building my bathroom vanity from scratch, I sure wish I would have had one as it would have come in mighty handy, especially for screwing in the drawer slides. Other times I could have used one to screw in electrical boxes in really tight places. My advice is to "go for it" as you will wish you had one when you don't have it. For $85, even if you only use it once or twice in a few years, it still will pay for itself.
Dave Sal and Yodaman like this.
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,902

Google "right angle drill attachment", there's some far less expensive options on how to do the same thing.
I owned a right angle drill and may have used it twice in 15 years.
Gymschu likes this.
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 08:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Google "right angle drill attachment", there's some far less expensive options on how to do the same thing.
I owned a right angle drill and may have used it twice in 15 years.
I have one of those somewhere. Not used often, but was awkward when I did use it. This would be something to have rather than something I need. I can see how it would be useful for screws in tight places like under cabinets. Since I retired this summer I have been doing all sorts of odd little jobs. Used my corded rotozip last week for the first time in 10 years!
Old 10-20-2019, 12:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplanz View Post
I have one of those somewhere. Not used often, but was awkward when I did use it. This would be something to have rather than something I need. I can see how it would be useful for screws in tight places like under cabinets. Since I retired this summer I have been doing all sorts of odd little jobs. Used my corded rotozip last week for the first time in 10 years!
I have the older 18 volt one.

Works great and I have used it several times.

You don't need one often but it sure comes in handy when you do.

Gymschu likes this.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 64

I have an 18 volt that I have had for about 8/9 years, and I've used it 3 times, and one time it was the closest drill I had within reach at the time. I much prefer a right angle adapter.
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 351

I've got one. (DeWalt) What I've found is I don't need it, but I do like it and it comes in handy. As joecaption said, you can buy really cheap attachments that work ok. DeWalt has a good one for maybe $30 or so.

Those attachments require a set of small bits with hex heads. For driving, chances are you have some workable driver bits already. For drilling, (if you need to do that at all), you may need to buy a set of drill bits with hex shanks.

In both cases, regardless of which tool you use, you need to have some ability to put right angle pressure on the head. The relatively inexpensive right angle attachment actually allows for a lot more room to do that with a spare hand of whatever you work out to do so than does the big head of the actual full on powered right angle driver. But it may pivot/swevel a bit. And I don't know the technical aspects, but you might not get as much torque out of it.

For the full unit, it's perfect for doing just about anything within - that is, in between - studs. Again though, you could often need a second hand to put right angle pressure on the head; otherwise you're going to have an odd kind of push back on your hand. I'm probably not describing this well, but imagine holding it up to drive a bolt into something vertical, you have to kind of rotate your wrist up to put pressure on the head, unlike a any regular drill where you can put pressure directly behind whatever your doing. Of course, the tool should be doing the work more so than hand pressure, but you still need to have a little something behind it.

In the end, I do find uses for it. I build furniture as a hobby and there's plenty of times it's been my easier go to tool. I don't think I've ever had a situation where without it I couldn't have gotten something done given the cheaper angle attachment option. But... it's definitely been useful.
Scottg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,586

I've got four cordless right angle drills. When I was installing kitchens for 10 years all the time, they came in very handy. I had two different drill bits, a countersink bit, and a driver bit in them. When drilling styles for joining the faceframes, it made for very quick work. Other than that, I don't use them much anymore. In other words, if you have a need for it, get one. A wise old timer I worked with when I was a kid told me, "A bargain is only a bargain if you really need it." Good advice.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 24

I have 3 in the tool box. A small electric Dewalt, a 18 volt Ryobi cordless. These 2 mostly used for blowing holes in wall studs for running romex. They handle spade bits up to about 3/4". Also have a larger Makita which is great for running large hole saws, or mixing mortar in a pail.
They don't get used a lot, but I would replace them if they crapped out.

Last edited by Yodaman; 10-21-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
I've got four cordless right angle drills. When I was installing kitchens for 10 years all the time, they came in very handy. I had two different drill bits, a countersink bit, and a driver bit in them. When drilling styles for joining the faceframes, it made for very quick work. Other than that, I don't use them much anymore. In other words, if you have a need for it, get one. A wise old timer I worked with when I was a kid told me, "A bargain is only a bargain if you really need it." Good advice.
Mike Hawkins
About 15 years ago I started buying tools I had no use for. Mostly automotive tools. When my car needed a repair, I had to justify having all thoae tools. Therefore, I started working on my own car. Suprising, I succeeded on every repair I attempted. Four or five brake jobs, two radiators, a water pump, ball joint and upper control arm, trailing arms, a steering knuckle and more, and I think it was worth it.

I suspect I will feel compelled to use any tools I end up buying in order to justify having them. Not sure what I will do, but I will do something.

Oh, I bought the right angle drill from Lowes, since they price match Amazon. I drilled a hole through a floor joist with a 1/4 inch spade bit just to test it. Worked great!
firehawkmph likes this.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,200

I have a wired Milwaukee right angle drill I bought for a project 20 years ago. Probably the last time I really needed it. But if it works for one project when something else won't I guess it is worth it.
Bigplanz likes this.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplanz View Post
I am thinking about getting one, not because I need it, but because it is $85 on Amazon. Opinions on its usefulness, build qualitg, etc would be appreciated.

I have a DCD740 w/5ah battery. Use it mostly drilling studs to run Romex. It is time saver. Amazing how long these 20v batteries last even when going thru 1920s wood.
yardmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 234

I don't have one, but I've thought about picking one up, and borrow one many times (particularly at work). In addition to cabinet installs, the other area where i find they often come in handy is drilling out bolts/screws with limited access (my experience is more industrial scale lab equipment, but I'm sure this comes up in automotive as well).

Like other have said, not something I need often, but sometimes when you need it you need it (although I've been able to get away with borrowing in those cases so far).
LanterDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #14

I think I need an intervention. I just bought a Dewalt 20V cordless angle grinder for $80, which, of course, I don't need. My wife tolerates this because a) I don't complain about the stuff she buys, and, b) I eventually use the tools I buy to fix the car, the house, whatever. We have an understanding
Gymschu likes this.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #15
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 24

Often, after I have purchased and used new types of tools for awhile, I come to realize how useful they really are. The oscillator is a perfect example. They have been around for years, maybe a few decades. I picked one up a few years ago because it was on sale. Now I have one corded, and one cordless and couldn't imagine not having one.
I am guessing you will be pretty happy with the RA drill. Especially after it makes your life easier a couple times.
Advertisement