Circular Saw, Corded Or Cordless? - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree27Likes

Old 11-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 260

Circular saw, corded or cordless?

Needing a new circular saw. The one I have works fine at full depth, but somebody must have dropped it at some pint, so if you set it shallow, it doesn't cut straight. Using a board for a guide, it walks away from the guide. That's the why, now which way to go and what's the best? Thanks
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,512

Re: Circular saw, corded or cordless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Milam View Post
Needing a new circular saw. The one I have works fine at full depth, but somebody must have dropped it at some pint, so if you set it shallow, it doesn't cut straight. Using a board for a guide, it walks away from the guide. That's the why, now which way to go and what's the best? Thanks
Consider trying another blade or a new blade before pitching it in the dumpster. The reason I mention this, in the good ole days I sharpened and set my own hi speed steel blades. Son-inlaw picked it up, tried a cut and it walked bad. I must have screwed that one up delux.

But back to your question I'd like to try a cordless before I get too old to even use a saw.
Mike Milam likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Mike Milam (11-30-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #3

Point well taken, but it has done it with at least two blades. Second was a new diamond concrete blade which is solid to the edge.
SeniorSitizen likes this.
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,008

I prefer corded tools for the power and because, if you don't use the cordless a lot, you got a battery sitting around getting weaker.
Mike Milam likes this.
Fman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 268

My cordless tools all use the same batteries, so I just rotate them between whatever tools Iím using that day, and the battery charger. I donít have a battery reserved for saw only use.

I use my cordless saw on most of my smaller jobs. Itís very handy. Takes a lot less time to pull it out and slap a battery in it than to get out the corded saw and extension cord. A lot less time to put away with no extension cord to roll up.

Between it and my miter saw, my corded circular saw doesnít come out as often as it used to.
raylo32 likes this.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 8,428

Depends on the type of work you do. For example, for cutting concrete, I think I would want a corded tool. But suppose you could keep your old corded saw.

Nothing like the convenience of a cordless saw. Especially tempting to go cordless if you already have other cordless tools with a good battery system. Circular saw I bought about a year ago was cordless (as as replacement for my old cheap cordless). I do have an old corded saw under my bench for when I am doing something that the cordless can't handle. But I am not sure if I have used the corded saw in the past decade.

PS -- check the blade for play. Cheaper saws use a sleeve bushing instead of a needle bearing for the blade spindle. Eventually, the bushing opens up.

Last edited by SPS-1; 11-30-2019 at 04:28 PM.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:21 PM   #7

One thing that prevents me from going cordless is the seemingly endless change in Volts.
PatentPending likes this.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 90

I vote for corded tools for anything that uses significant power and runs for a long time. The only cordless tools I use are my drill driver and flashlight.
huesmann likes this.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #9

I don't do much in the way of big jobs anymore. Maybe cut some deck boards once in awhile and then only a few at a time. Rip plywood from time to time for small projects like maybe a cabinet. I do everything by myself and managing a 4X8 sheet of plywood on a table saw is a handful.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:10 PM   #10
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Milam View Post
Easily adjust that saw with a framing hammer, it will go back to straight just measure from the saw teeth to the edge of the table at front and back of the blade. The teeth are bent right and left make sure you are measuring to matching teeth.
NotYerUncleBob2 likes this.
Mike Milam (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 06:19 PM   #11

Mike Milam wants a new cordless saw. Mike Milam has earned a new cordless saw. Mike Milam needs to go buy himself the best cordless saw available.
raylo32, SPS-1, huesmann and 2 others like this.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:13 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 904

I have both the DeWalt 20v and 60v circular saws. The 20v works very well, any of the 60v stuff will definitely offer performance above and beyond any cordless tool you've ever used before.

The 20v version with the brushless motor and 7.25" blade is fairly economical and offers great performance. Probably enough for most users. There are tons of promotions on the 20v stuff right now, discounts, free extra battery or free bare tools when you buy the tool as a kit with charger and batteries.

The 60v Flexvolt version does cost a little more money but it will be indistinguishable from using a corded tool. You can probably find some promotions on the flexvolt tools too.

If you want the king of cordless saws, then get the 60v worm style framing saw. This one is a beast and you'll never miss the cord.

Whatever way you go you'll probably want to get at least 2 batteries. I've never ran one battery down quicker than I could get the other charged up.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iamrfixit For This Useful Post:
Mike Milam (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 09:37 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 124

Corded. If I used it for a few cuts every day, I would buy a second saw with battery power.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Thomas For This Useful Post:
Mike Milam (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 11:10 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fman View Post
I prefer corded tools for the power and because, if you don't use the cordless a lot, you got a battery sitting around getting weaker.
That's really just a problem with the old NiCad batteries and not an issue with the modern LiIon batteries.
For the power the new brushless motors on the better cordless saws are just as powerful as the old corded saws. I didn't believe it when I was told that, but then I tried the Makita and was convinced.
Nealtw and Fman like this.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NotYerUncleBob2 For This Useful Post:
Mike Milam (11-30-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 832

Problem with the new LiIon batteries is that moment when you think, "Oh, ****, my power tool just broke," before you remember it's probably just the battery died. They have a really sharp working-to-dead cutoff.
Gymschu likes this.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement