Chinese Theodolites - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2019, 11:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4,945

Chinese Theodolites

I need a theodolite. I'm torn between the Johnson Level 40-6932 and the Spectra Precision DET-2 Digital Electronic Theodolite.

Before I click Order I thought I'd check to see if anyone has any knowledge or experience about the cheap Chinese knockoffs like this one?

For several hundred dollars less, it could be a great bargain. Or it could be seven hundred dollars down the tube. I don't even know why I'm asking; I know I just need to buy one of the other two so any feedback on those will help, too.
dalepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2019, 04:52 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,324

Re: Chinese Theodolites

Wow, they sure have come a long way with technology. I have the T-model but seldom use it anymore.

I don't even buy Chinese made shoes, and I intentionally block all Chinese listings when looking for things like on Ebay. But that is a personal choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Chinese Theodolites-transit.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 01:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,945

Well, I ordered the Spectra - mostly because I could get it here by Wednesday. I hope I don't regret it.
dalepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 362

The Chinese make products to the required specifications. They make top quality or what they refer to as German quality for their European customers and Japanese quality for the Asian markets and at the bottom there is the Harbor Freight level that is what one finds at the big box stores. It is dumb to think that not buying products made in China helps American workers when US companies are encouraged to send money and technology offshore by the federal government since the days of Reagan.
What counts with any electronics product used outdoors is its shock resistance and this varies widely and even top name brands have models that are not a good choice for commercial use for this reason. This shows up in the user reviews.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement