Best?(!) Tape Measure. - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree15Likes
Unread 07-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 92

Best?(!) Tape measure.

Is there such a thing as the "best" tape measure? I'm in need of new and would like to buy one without gimmicky frills. 16th marks, 8th inch, quarter inch, full inch marks and good sized numericals. Metric not necessary and I can figure 16 and 24 OC myself.
ChuckTin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,292

Re: Best?(!) Tape measure.

I like this we often found them on sale cheap,
Yodaman likes this.
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,810

Every squeeze lock I have had goes out early. Have taken advantage of many a cheap/free deal but the tape gauge is always thinner and the end hook always loosens up beyond the push/pull allowance.

I always look for slide locks like Neal posted and Stanley usually has decent deals at stores. I assume you keep more than one around anyway.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,706

I use the Stanley Fat Max 25' and 35'. Not light but I love the 1.25" wide tape and the 11' stand out. When actively working I used only the 35'. Now for home use I've added a couple of 25' tapes.

Bud
Unread 07-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,406

Lot of years use on my old Stanley in the pic and it still locks in place. Anyone buying a tape for serious use should be sure it has the 3 button fastened "hook" on it. I have found the two buttoned hook tapes, break out of the blade too soon. JMO
Gymschu, Two Knots, Oso954 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 07-17-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,292

Another vote for the stanley fat max, I'm on my 2nd one. I detest a cheap tape measure where the tape won't stand out for anything more than a short distance.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,100

Can't say I've got much experience with specific brands of tape measures, but I really like our Komelon 30' self-lock. It's got the stiffer tape so it can hold nearly 10' without folding on me as I recall (it's not quite enough, but still better than any other one I've tried... or well used, like I've never "tested" tape measures, I just use whatever and make it work heh) The locking bit works great even after so many years... not sure how many years, but I remember using it when we re-did the kitchen in 2007-8. It's got rubber bits on the outside of the casing, so I can set it on a sheet of plywood and pull out the tape without the case "following" me across the ply. It's also got a bigger thicker catch bit, with nubs on both the top and bottom so I can catch on and measure stuff above my head - also has the measurements printed on both sides of the tape, so I can fold it over/around edges for measuring stuff like fabric or vinyl coverings.

The only thing I don't like about it is it's only 30' I mean it's way better than the typical 25', but I often wish it was 40' to 50'.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,706

With the longer tapes on your belt you start to walk funny .
A test of the fat max came on a 25' high roof. Mine took several unexpected trips to the ground and kept on working. Not that I should be dropping it, but it happens and nice when the tools survive.

Bud
Unread 07-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,768

I have a bunch of tape measures. But like Greg, my favorites to carry are the Stanley Powerlock. The only thing the fat max beats it at is blade stand out, but I don’t find the fat max as comfortable to wear on my belt.

They still sell the powerlock. The 25’ is currently $9.88 at my HD.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #10
Plumber

Rewards Points: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
Lot of years use on my old Stanley in the pic and it still locks in place. Anyone buying a tape for serious use should be sure it has the 3 button fastened "hook" on it. I have found the two buttoned hook tapes, break out of the blade too soon. JMO
My choice as well. Usually reaches far enough. Light weight. Thin (fits in the pocket of my bibs in the winter). Handles dirt well. Simple rule reading and not muddied up with fraction numbers.....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Unread 07-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 92

Thanks guys. Going down tomorrow to see what HD, Lowe's have to offer.
Nealtw likes this.
ChuckTin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #12
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,540

Go over to the electrical department and look at the Klein 25' tape. I have tried every tape measure in existence. I require a double deep hook, legible markings, easy way to slow it down before it slams the tape, Center screw tap for the belt clip. I take the belt clip off and use a magtite magnetic holder. The newer ones use offset screws and you can't attach it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...225R/300176740

https://www.ustape.com/catalog/magne...-tape-holster/
Unread 07-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,100

mmm I suppose weight and size is a consideration when you're professional. I admit mine only gets used around the house, though I use it probably every day, but for most of the time it's a paperweight on my husbands desk.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,849

Stanley, the other man in my life!
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #15
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,540

I have to carry one all day long and it has to work and the magtite system keeps me from wearing the right pocked off my pants by clipping it on each time, sometimes a hundred times a day.

Weight is a consideration. If I have to go over 25', I employ a 100' cloth surveyor's tape. Nothing over 25' will be that accurate anyway. Carrying a 35 or 40' tape is cumbersome and just heavy for no real reason. Face it, most lumber is up to 16' in length.

One thing to do is check the hook tang on your (or your helper's) tape daily. My helper kept handing me lumber he cut and it was consistently 1/4" too short. I looked at his tape and he had unknowingly dropped it on concrete and bent the hook tang inward making all his cuts wrong. It is in the middle of a lake somewhere
Gymschu, Yodaman and Bud9051 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement