Air Compressor Not Allowing Air Into The Line. - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By iamrfixit

Old 03-31-2018, 08:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Air Compressor not allowing air into the line.

I have a Central Pneumatic air compressor that is about 2 years old. It gets minimal use maybe once a month or so. I went to use it in the winter and the tank is filling up with air but neither gauge is moving. No air is coming out the discharge side. Any thoughts? I tried it today hoping maybe something was frozen the last time but nothing.
raidencmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,340

Re: Air Compressor not allowing air into the line.

If the gauge isn't showing pressure how do you know the tank is filling up?
If you open the petcock does air come out? continue to come out if the unit is running?
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 226

If the gauge continues to read "0" and nothing is coming out of the tank, how do you know "the tank is filling up"?
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2018, 08:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,128

If the pressure switch is working correctly it will pump up and shut off, but we don't know that either.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #5

Thanks for all the replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
If the gauge continues to read "0" and nothing is coming out of the tank, how do you know "the tank is filling up"?
After running it I go and open the drain valve and air is coming out. The pop off valve seems to be working properly and if I pull on it it too will have air coming out of it. I was thinking that I was not being patient enough for it but am scared it will blow up.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 36

The pic is a HD store product called an air regulator. Look for it, if it has one it sounds like it has either been adjusted too far down or has failed . JMO

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 04-02-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidencmc View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

After running it I go and open the drain valve and air is coming out. The pop off valve seems to be working properly and if I pull on it it too will have air coming out of it. I was thinking that I was not being patient enough for it but am scared it will blow up.
We rely on the pop off valve to prevent blowing up. Also I doubt the compressor motor has enough OOMPH to blow it up.

With most of the air pressure discharged at the drain to be somewhat safer, begin working backwards from the hose connection back through the system, by loosening connections, to determine where the air supply is stopping. Consider eye protection.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 950

How much pressure is behind the air is coming out?

Whole lot of difference between a few psi that may not even be enough to register on the gauge and 100+ psi. You should easily feel the difference. With the drain valve open, if you can stop flow with your finger then you don't have much pressure. If it's blowing out forcefully then you might have a blockage in the line, gauge or pressure switch.

You say the relief valve will blow if you pull the ring, does it blow with the same force as the drain? If so there should be little risk of blowing anything up.

I would bet on problems inside the compressor unit not allowing it to produce very much pressure. These cheap compressors are built with cheap components and may be more likely to fail premature, especially true of an oil-less type compressor.

Many different kinds and sizes of compressors so it's impossible to guess whether this is a much more durable oil filled compressor using the typical piston/rod configuration or the very simple oil-less type using a fixed piston.

If the compressor has a regulator then it should have two pressure gauges, one will register the tank pressure and the other for the hose pressure.
Bondo and mark sr like this.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:22 PM   #9

I figured it out. I don't know the name of it but it is on the head I think it is a check valve. I turned it on and a lot of air was blowing out the back. So I took all that apart and there was a piece with a spring laying inside. So I put the spring back in and it worked. But I assume I have to replace that piece.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 96

Sounds like the intake valve. If it breaks more air will blow back out the intake than into the tank. Common issue.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 4,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidencmc View Post
I figured it out. I don't know the name of it but it is on the head I think it is a check valve. I turned it on and a lot of air was blowing out the back. So I took all that apart and there was a piece with a spring laying inside. So I put the spring back in and it worked. But I assume I have to replace that piece.
Just my opinion..

Sounds like it froze due to moisture.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
Just my opinion..

Sounds like it froze due to moisture.?
I felt the same way. It's just in an odd orientation to collect water.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement