Wood Burning Insert Info - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 114

Wood Burning Insert Info

Good afternoon.
I was sitting having my morning coffee (my mornings run later than most) and pondering our as-of-the-moment inoperable fireplace. At the moment, it contains this.

The wife and I kind of want to get rid of it eventually and have a more traditional fireplace.
My question is, does anyone know how difficult it might be to remove this ourselves? Might it be something better left to (gasp) a professional?

Sadly, this is all the information I have at the moment.

We need to have someone come out to inspect and likely clean the chimney before we could even contemplate such an undertaking. Need to have him install a chimney cap as well. Obviously I will ask about it then, as well as other pertinent information regarding the condition as a whole.

We assume it went in sometime in the mid-'60s when there was a fair amount of renovation done.

We aren't sure when the house was built as the county doesn't seem to have a record of it prior to 1965. The presence of a smidgen of K&T wiring leads me to believe it is older than that. I'm guessing sometime in the '40s.

That last bit is likely superfluous to the topic at hand but could provide useful background information when I get stumped in the future.

Which I can assure you will likely happen.

If'n anyone has some information to pass along, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Cullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,478

Quote:
The wife and I kind of want to get rid of it eventually and have a more traditional fireplace.
Ayuh,... Ya might wanta rethink that,....

A more traditional fireplace is a giant vacuum, suckin' the heat outa yer house, whether it's burnin', or not,...

There's actual Value in the set up ya got, in that the draft is controllable, 'n it'll actually give off heat, when burnin',....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 02:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 46

I agree with Bondo on this one. I very nearly ripped out my 1990's vintage Earth Stove to get back to a traditional fireplace when we bought our current home 2 years ago. On a whim I decided to try it first and was shocked at how well it works. I had it burning last night (it was about 6 deg. F here in PA last night) and it had the back half of my house nearly 70 Deg. Consider keeping it.

While I can't comment on how your stove insert is installed, mine essentially sits in the fireplace with a flexible steel pipe that goes partway up the flue. it would be easy to remove.
RSCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #4

Good to know, I will pass on the info to the missus. While a delightful person in general, she can be quite stubborn on some points once her mind gets set to something.

I'm mainly hoping that when we have the folks come out to clean and inspect, we don't find out that the chimney/liner is trashed due to not having a cap for who-knows-how-long.

As stated, it is an eventuality as the next big expenditure needs to be having the trees trimmed and a couple butchered pine trees removed and ground from the front of our lot.

Best case scenario, I would like to get it to a point where it is safe to use by next winter.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,126

+1

Traditional (as realized in forms today) are energy net negative.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,480

Why wait til next year.?
Get that chimney checked and fire that sucker up.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:24 AM   #7

Gotta see what is in the budget after the tree situation. That needs to be taken care of first.

We bought a house in a new town and more or less started over. While we are doing well at establishing our bona fides in our new jobs, we are currently operating with much less of a devil-may-care budget than we once did. We'll get there, but for the time being we gotta watch our pennies.

Some of that money has to go towards a couple beers or glasses of wine periodically as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement