Why Are American Homes Built With Wood? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 07-03-2016, 06:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Why are American homes built with wood?

Can someone tell me why they are building AMerican homes with wood and not something more durable like concrete or brick? The brick homes currently built aren't the same as they were 50 years ago. It looks like there is a wood frame and brick is the siding. Why are homes built like that? Wood will suffer from the elements and wouldn't stand up to the weather also there is the issue with termites.
rasstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 516

Re: Why are American homes built with wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasstar View Post
Can someone tell me why they are building AMerican homes with wood and not something more durable like concrete or brick? The brick homes currently built aren't the same as they were 50 years ago. It looks like there is a wood frame and brick is the siding. Why are homes built like that? Wood will suffer from the elements and wouldn't stand up to the weather also there is the issue with termites.
i built my home out of concrete blocks , roof 5/8" cdx , and studs inside walls , i live in florida , most are concrete block
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2016, 07:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
i built my home out of concrete blocks , roof 5/8" cdx , and studs inside walls , i live in florida , most are concrete block
Yes I heard in Florida they build with blocks but here in New York 90% of the homes have vinyl siding and some of the older homes have brick. I don't get it. I just bought a home built in 2000 and had no choice but to get a frame house. I am not too thrilled about wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 22,526

I would guess that wood is cheaper and faster.
There are many siding options that look like wood and are being used now.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,070

Quote:
Wood will suffer from the elements and wouldn't stand up to the weather
Ayuh,..... Wood is cheap, 'n easy to work with,...

Wood will last 100s of years if kept dry,....

If you want a house built outa concrete, 'n steel, I'm sure you can have one built, just break out yer checkbook,.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 1,080

Yep, whatever is local and cheapest. When the US was settled there were no concrete plants and quarries for cement close by. Lots of wood though.

In Europe they use brick or concrete because they chopped down the forests a long time ago and want to preserve the little they have now. They also like hot water heat and we like forced air. Hot water is easier to work with in some styles of houses and when above 2 stories.
Gymschu likes this.

Last edited by yuri; 07-03-2016 at 08:46 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,422

They weren't thinking about this 200 years ago, but wood is a renewable resource.

With new technology that can economically manufacture extremely strong and near-perfect straight and square wood such as LVL and PVL, wood will be used for a long long time to come.

Having just said all that, I think 3D "printing " of houses is really cool, and it will become popular for certain house designs and locations.

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 07-03-2016 at 09:15 AM.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:12 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 804

How long do you want your house to last? My house was built in 1895, hasn't fallen over yet. My apartment house was built in 1890, it is still standing. I expect both buildings to last longer than I will.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 17,750

If anyone thinks there never going to have termites because they have a block or brick home think again.
I've seen subteranean termites make tunnels inside the blocks all the way to the rafters and window trim.
One funny one I saw was where they had a tunnel across a heating duct, went about 6" straight up into the hardwood floor and had eaten into a phone book laying on the floor.
Drywood and Formosan Termites do not even need to come from the ground up.
Some other myths, I have a slab so I will not have termites, to wet, sandy or clay soil, all not true.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #10

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #11
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 1,080

Nowadays with Engineered wood/joists OSB oriented strand board etc they can mix in or use scrap wood, poplar and other trees that normally would not get used. They do that in Canada. They even use straw.

House construction is interesting in parts of the world. I had a Italian co-worker and she said marble and masonry is used in Italy. It takes a long time to heat up and cool down so they don't really need or have AC. I imagine in Mexico they use adobe brick and clay but they need siestas when they sun is too hot.

As far as termites and snakes it is too damn cold where I am but I guess you can call Billy the Exterminator.
Attached Thumbnails
Why are American homes built with wood?-billy.jpg  

Last edited by yuri; 07-03-2016 at 10:54 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 696

Here, the only buildings that fell down in the last earthquake were made of brick. Carbon footprint of wood is a lot smaller than the others too.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #13
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 8,938

It's a good question....and one can assume you don't live in the US.

The most common reason for wood is availability and cost of the material and the design of the home.

Down in Florida, cement block is common for a couple of reasons. Does better in Hurricanes and less issues with Termites.

But also look at American houses and the different shapes. You are NOT going to be able to build some of the houses we have with cement block or stone.

Look at the houses in Europe and the middle east....basically, stone blocks. But I guess they do have the advantage of stopping bullets better.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #14

I actually live in the USA but lived in other parts of the world where building with wood would be considered absurd. I just bought a house. It is vinyl siding with some stucco. I live in NY where it is cold. I just hope I have no issues with termites.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:35 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

The lumber these days fail in comparison to the lumber of 30+ years ago.

And... I HATE FACTORY TRUSSES !!
MDRYWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement