Whole House Water Filter - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

Whole house water filter

I realize many people on here are not big water filter fans. I primarily want to filter out chlorine. As I look at different systems I realize they are just selling the filter holder for extreme amounts of money. I can buy a holder with bracket and wrench for 15 dollars at the big box store. So why is a company selling their holder with no filter for 150 dollars. That right their turned my off to the whole water filter idea.
Anyone know of a whole house filter that will do chlorine?
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,516

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
I realize many people on here are not big water filter fans. I primarily want to filter out chlorine. As I look at different systems I realize they are just selling the filter holder for extreme amounts of money. I can buy a holder with bracket and wrench for 15 dollars at the big box store. So why is a company selling their holder with no filter for 150 dollars. That right their turned my off to the whole water filter idea.
Anyone know of a whole house filter that will do chlorine?
Don't let the ridiculous pricing we've been seeing in the recent years discourage. To the wise shopper those items are still for sale.

It's my understanding you will need, at minimum, a charcoal filter element to remove chlorine. Reverse osmosis is another option.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,536

I use rain fresh and they work great.

Every so often I screw up the chlorine count on the hot tub and I use rainfresh with their chlorine cartridges to clean up the problem. In 24 hours 3 of them (in parallel) zeros out a stupidly high chlorine count.

For city water use you should run 2 filters in series. The first one being rust and dirt, and the the second one for chlorine. This way the chlorine cartridges will last longer.

Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #4
Lord of Slums

I got a reverse osmosis six stage system for christmas. Oh man. Talk about a pain in the ass to install. They have these clips to hold in the water line. I have researched a great deal about drinking ro water. What I have learned is an ro system will pull everything out of the water. Including fluoride. For as much as I have read I can not bring myself to drink straight ro water. Seems to acidic and unbalanced to me.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #5

Are you in the city?

RO is really kind of overkill for city water. It's kind of expensive to run too comparatively speaking. A 5 micron filter to take care of rust and sediment followed by a chlorine cartridge is all you should need. If you're concerned about bacteria then an inline UV filter is good for that.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6,574

Bob,

Do you work in this field? I am on well and had some questions.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Bob,

Do you work in this field? I am on well and had some questions.
No. Not at all.
It's simply through experience. We have a cabin with river water which we filter for drinking and a hot tub which has forced me to become somewhat of a chemist.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,796

I'm on a well...
Shallow well, soft water, acid = 5.5, neutral is 7.
Water enters house and goes through a regular filter for silt etc..
Through the pressure tank.
Through the water injection system, similar to the one in the picture on the right side.

ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 582

aqua-pure.........ap141t.....goggle it ...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
Lord of Slums

. Yes, I do live in a major city. The ro system would be for fluoride more than anything else. Fluoride is very difficult to get out of water. Their is also the drug residue in the water. I have a few off grid properties. Looks like fracking is about to destroy one of them. Other than that I use a big sand filter to filter the rainwater reservoir. Much the same way a fishtank filter works. I also built a first flush valve that dumps the beginning of a rain storm.
I just installed a 250 gallon system in my basement at home. I am just filling it with city water for now. My neighbor said we are going to have some water problems this summer, he would not elaborate. Toledo had a big problem last summer so I will be ready.

I do not drink city water, I will not explain here why, let me just say it is not a secure system. I have lost count of all the rainwater systems I have put in Detroit homes.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #11
Lord of Slums

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VZ2O0Q/...5f97aba2c9cbda

Am I missing something here. When do other filter holder cost over a hundred dollars? Do the manufactures make a specific size that just holds there filter?
Old 01-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #12
Special User

Rewards Points: 1,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
Am I missing something here. When do other filter holder cost over a hundred dollars? Do the manufactures make a specific size that just holds there filter?
My guess is the flow rate and the quality of filtering. For a small filter to flow well, the media must be coarse which will allow fine particulates to pass right through. A larger filter can be finer (filter better) and still maintain flow rates.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 8

Re: Whole house water filter

If you just want to filter chlorine, use a big blue filter. Keep in mind big blue filters are good for flow rates under 5 gpm. If you have a larger house, use a backwashing filter with carbon such as CCMG-0948.

Reverse osmosis is not a good option just to filter chlorine. It is slow, expensive and requires heavy maintenance. If you're going with a ro system, you would also need pre-treatment including a water softener and post treatment to neutralize the pH.
Matt568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 248

Re: Whole house water filter

If your problem is mainly chlorine, I'd opt for point of use filter. Biggest water use is for plants and bathroom. You don't want to filter for lawn and toilet. Refriges have their own filters now. Maybe showers will be rerouted under the cabinets for filters. Shower head filters are too expensive to use, I think.

Water filter business has become a racket. I hear ads on radio about off brands that are cheaper, but I have no idea how long these businesses will stay around. Even if they do, they WILL change the container and cartridge every few years, forcing you to pay up either way.

I grew up drinking out of the tap, maybe why I feel groggy at this age. My kids take it for granted that drinking water is either bottle or filtered.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement