Who/how To Fix Range Duct In Attic? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

who/how to fix range duct in attic?

Inspector discovered that the range for my gas stove is venting into my attic and apparently has already had a fire once before

The duct goes about a foot or two into the attic and then after about a 3-6" air gap there is a vent/cap on the roof. Roof is slanted here. The pipe is offset horizontally about 1-3" as well so it's not a straight shot up. I'll put a pic below if I can.

The bottom of the vent/cap is just an open square. The roof is metal over plywood if that matters. I think they may have just put the metal over the shingles..hope that's not bad. There's no "nipple" on the bottom of the cap like I see on the caps at hardware store. Does the vent cap need to be replaced?

If not, how do I fix this so it's venting out of the roof without any leaks.

Also what type of professional would normal be able to fix this? Roofer said they could replace the cap but I can't find or figure out what type of professional would handle the attic stuff? I hate working in the attic but I want it fixed the right way too.

My thoughts are replace cap with one with nipple, cut off duct to give enough room for one of those swivel things and then seal any joints with tape. My fear is trying to remove the old roof cap and lining up everything correctly. Thanks!

pondbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6,572

Get a proper HVAC professional to complete the ductwork and make it code compliant.

The roofer will handle the watertight connection on the roof.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

Ahh didn't think to call HVAC guy but makes sense. In this case, doesn't the HVAC guy's piece connect to the roofer guys piece? Should I get roofer to replace cap first so hvac guy has something to connect duct to?

Thanks!
pondbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
attic , duct , exhaust , roof