Where Is Water Coming From? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By freezingdan
  • 1 Post By t.carpenter00
  • 1 Post By BayouRunner
  • 2 Post By freezingdan

Old 05-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Where is water coming from?

Hello,

I have recently had a tremendous amount of work done on a home (about 40 years old) I purchased last year due to discovering it was inundated with mold. I am talking spending 50% of the value of the home on mold abatement and repairs to prevent the problems that caused the mold to begin with.

After all this, I am terrified to find that there seems to be water collecting in the area infront of the front entrance, and I cannot figure out for the life of me where it is coming from. I have attached some pictures. Notice the dark patches in the interlock infront of the door, and to the left of the door infront of the brick.

Anyone have any ideas where the hell it could be coming from?

The roof is all new, eaves troughs are absolutely spotless and flow fine. The gable end wall (white siding) was completely replaced, new vapour barrier, sheathing, insulation, typar, siding, flashing, frost and water shield. Same with the wall around the window (minus the roof related stuff). Weep holes are clear. I have watched while it has been raining and there is no water directly falling from anywhere, so I believe it is coming from the wall somehow (during rain). There is no plumbing whatsoever in that area of the home.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Where is water coming from?-water1.jpg   Where is water coming from?-water2.jpg   Where is water coming from?-water3.jpg  
freezingdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

Re: Where is water coming from?

Are those interlocking pavers cemented together, or are they dry laid? Looks like water coming up from below.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
t.carpenter00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2018, 08:25 PM   #3

They are not cemented. Sand or something in between (with pavement ant hills throughout, at that...). I thought the same thing, but I find it odd because the surrounding pavers are not wet at all. When it is raining, there is a small section dry that is under the roof, then the wet portion being directly rained on, and the wet portion in the pic by the door. Rained earlier this morning and sunny and hot the rest of the day so the rest of it has dried, but the small section between the wet part in the pic and the pavers closer to the driveway was never wet.

Thanks for the response.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2018, 08:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,900

The eavestroughs are "flowing fine", but are you piping that flow at least 10' away from the house, and into a spot that is lower ground?

Would help to know what state you are in so we know the weather.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:32 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 5,480

What are the black things sticking up.
If water is going thru the pavers, where does it go from there. It is possible the substrate is sloped the wrong way when the sand and gravel were installed.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:37 PM   #6

The eaves troughs are emptying more than 35 feet from that area, into a slope that at the lower end is a few feet below grade of the house, on the opposite side of cedar hedges at the side.

Pic from google maps attached.

Thanks
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Where is water coming from?-water4.jpg  
Nealtw likes this.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
What are the black things sticking up.
If water is going thru the pavers, where does it go from there. It is possible the substrate is sloped the wrong way when the sand and gravel were installed.
The black things are the wiring and conduit (conduit is broken at brick so sticking straight up) that lead to the light on the front lawn.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
retired framer

Rewards Points: 5,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezingdan View Post
The black things are the wiring and conduit (conduit is broken at brick so sticking straight up) that lead to the light on the front lawn.
So when it is all dry, run hose in gutter to be sure and run a sprinkler on the walk away from the house and see what shows up.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:58 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 4

My slapshot guess is that the water is following a gravel backfilled hole under that entry and surfacing at the lowest pressure area.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
t.carpenter00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:08 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,933

My crazy guess is that planting bed with the tree. Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like maybe the mulch is pitched back and tinkling onto the walkway. The sidewalk even looks a little dirty next to the mulch. And there is not much of an overhang over that area. Just kicking ideas around. Nealtw has your answer.
mathmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:20 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 538

Iíve seen a few buildings where the rain would soak in the brick then migrate its way down. Youíd be surprised how much water the bricks can hold. On one three story building there was a deck on the second floor. When it rained hard the water would splash onto bricks then the water would go down into the downstairs ceilings. Not flooding water but wet Sheetrock and water stains. Anyway the temporary solution was using Thompson water sealer on the bricks. It immediately stopped the water downstairs. They had redone the decking several times but it never made a difference. Their permanent repair after it started leaking again months later was to install vinyl siding. I think they tried to seal it one more time but it didnít last. On another building they were having mold issues and when they removed Sheetrock they found mold growing all inside. They had a type of backer board that was soaking water through the bricks, then the board would stay wet for a long time. Iím not sure what they did for repair there as I was just the ac guy. Where it gets wet to the right of the garage door is where Iíd be looking as the concrete is wet above the deck. Iím just guessing like everyone else. But you did mention it happens after rain and there is no plumbing there. I canít tell what the two white objects are there in that area

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
BayouRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmonger View Post
My crazy guess is that planting bed with the tree. Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like maybe the mulch is pitched back and tinkling onto the walkway. The sidewalk even looks a little dirty next to the mulch. And there is not much of an overhang over that area. Just kicking ideas around. Nealtw has your answer.
I certainly dont think the tree being there is a good thing. I will have it removed as soon as I can, but am also paying for litigation right now so hard to do much.

I am in Ottawa, Ontario. Hot, humid summer and extremely cold winters with lots of snow. That being said, snow mever accumlates infront of the door and I keep it all shoveled, especially before a big melt. I shovel it towards the end of the driveway, which is long.

Yes, there is a bit of mulch and dirt on the pavers just next to the tree.

The white objects are ant baits.

Will try out the hose ideas and see what happens. Thanks for the inputs, everyone.

Dan
MTN REMODEL LLC and Nealtw like this.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #13
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 86

Quote:
Where is water coming from?
Ayuh,...... I think yer lookin' at yer problem, Exactly Backwards,......

Ya got a puddle, 'cause the water can't drain away,.....

Put some pitch in the walk, 'n it'll drain,..... No puddle,.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement