Where Does Water Go In Washing Machine? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Where does water go in washing machine?

When you're trying to setup a washing machine and the water is 100% connected, yet not being pulled into the washing machine and not going into the drain out, where is it all going...the force of gravity certainly wouldn't push it all back the other way.
idiotintheshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 82

Re: Where does water go in washing machine?

There's a valve in the washing machine.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

K I don't get it....can you explain more?

The only hose going out of the washing machine that drains the water is dry...so I don't get where all this water is going. I finally am getting water into the machine now.

Because I was getting a lot of water spraying from the cold water tap, I connected the hot water hose only and chose "HOT" water on the washing machine. When using the same settings, water only appeared when both hoses were connected. Maybe it washes in hot but cools when it rinses or whatever. But yah I still don't get it. lol.

I just need to fix the tap spraying now - I saw your reply..... I already watched a youtube video on a ball valve...i'm gonna go to a store and see what they suggest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
Jello Wrangler

Rewards Points: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotintheshed View Post
K I don't get it....can you explain more?

The only hose going out of the washing machine that drains the water is dry...so I don't get where all this water is going. I finally am getting water into the machine now.

Because I was getting a lot of water spraying from the cold water tap, I connected the hot water hose only and chose "HOT" water on the washing machine. When using the same settings, water only appeared when both hoses were connected. Maybe it washes in hot but cools when it rinses or whatever. But yah I still don't get it. lol.

I just need to fix the tap spraying now - I saw your reply..... I already watched a youtube video on a ball valve...i'm gonna go to a store and see what they suggest.
The hose should go into a drain pipe. The hose is shaped like a hook and hooks onto the drain pipe. It wouldn't be wet and you should be able to run a rinse cycle to see it drain.

But your OP stated there was no water going into the machine, so how would it have water to drain? Post some pics of your setup.
ChiTownPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPro View Post
The hose should go into a drain pipe. The hose is shaped like a hook and hooks onto the drain pipe. It wouldn't be wet and you should be able to run a rinse cycle to see it drain.

But your OP stated there was no water going into the machine, so how would it have water to drain? Post some pics of your setup.
Hi ChiTown - yes the hose from the washer is going into the drain pipe. I know what you mean that you wouldn't see anything there if water isn't going into the machine properly... that's why I'm wondering where is it going then? I know I'm not understanding something basic - but I've seen people ask the question that relates to my original question...whether you should leave the tap on even when not using the machine or not. Someone said they left the tap on and their hoses burst. I thought that I'd leave the tap constantly running anyway since my dad said most people do - so I always thought that water would be always going through the drain pipe via the hose from the machine - so I see it like this

Water from Tap -> 2x Hose connected to Tap -> 2x Hose connected to washing machine (Cold + Hot) -> Water goes from washing machine to drain out. I'm sure, like you said, this is how it works when it's functioning through the cycle including the rinse.... but if water is not going into the machine, then where is all this water going? Yes I am not the brightest tool in the shed lol.

Anyway, my original post is here http://www.diychatroom.com/f47/washi...2/#post3387770

That has the video I posted about the spraying tap. I tried to tighten/loosen the nut - but it won't budge so I'm going to get a proper wrench. If that doesn't work, I guess I have to screw off the handle and maybe replace a washer or something.

Thx!

Last edited by idiotintheshed; 06-23-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #6
Jello Wrangler

Rewards Points: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotintheshed View Post
Hi ChiTown - yes the hose from the washer is going into the drain pipe. I know what you mean that you wouldn't see anything there if water isn't going into the machine properly... that's why I'm wondering where is it going then? I know I'm not understanding something basic - but I've seen people ask the question that relates to my original question...whether you should leave the tap on even when not using the machine or not. Someone said they left the tap on and their hoses burst. I thought that I'd leave the tap constantly running anyway since my dad said most people do - so I always thought that water would be always going through the drain pipe via the hose from the machine - so I see it like this

Water from Tap -> 2x Hose connected to Tap -> 2x Hose connected to washing machine (Cold + Hot) -> Water goes from washing machine to drain out. I'm sure, like you said, this is how it works when it's functioning through the cycle including the rinse.... but if water is not going into the machine, then where is all this water going? Yes I am not the brightest tool in the shed lol.

Anyway, my original post is here http://www.diychatroom.com/f47/washi...2/#post3387770

That has the video I posted about the spraying tap. I tried to tighten/loosen the nut - but it won't budge so I'm going to get a proper wrench. If that doesn't work, I guess I have to screw off the handle and maybe replace a washer or something.

Thx!
Of there is no water going in the machine there is no water getting into the machine. There is a valve in the machine that keeps the water shut off to the machine until it demands it. When it does so, it electronically opens this valve letting in a hot, cold or a mix of those as requested by the selected cycle.

If you are not getting water in the machine when you run a rinse cycle, there is something wrong with the circuit board or valve/valve controls.
ChiTownPro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChiTownPro For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (06-24-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #7

Thanks for your reply... yeah so it's not getting into the machine like u said so where is it going... hard to imagine it's going back where it came from lol.

When I had both connected into the machine (hot and cold) did the water go into the machine. I only had hot connected and selected that on the machine because the tap (As soon in the video) for the cold water is spraying everywhere - this is what I have to fix...what did u think of the video?
Old 06-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,952

Looked at your video, so you are talking about the leaking gate valve handle. Imo, you need to rebuild the valve or just replace it with a new ball valve type. Done.

Those gate valves don't last forever.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (06-24-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement