Whats A Reasonable Time/cost To Have A Wall Removed? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

whats a reasonable time/cost to have a wall removed?

I know this is a DIY forum, but lets assume some jobs are too large...

I am looking to remove 2 walls.

Wall 1. encloses a staircase, probably about 8' long, only the upper half to the treads needs to be removed. may not be load bearing.

Wall 2 is parallel to the first, forms a hallway against the other. I believe this is load bearing. The wall is approx 12' long.

Rock Plaster walls, 1 outlet that can be eliminated, I assume no pipes or ducts(assuming rational routing of starting and ending points).

Remove the wall and install headers as required, no finish work. (as per my request) I will sheetrock, trim, fix the floor, I just need the walls to be loose.

The GC I am talking to has quoted ~1 day per wall.

He is a 2 man crew charging ~700/day + Materials

Does that sound fair?
bauerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

That sounds like the cost to do the demolition. If you need one or two headers, you are going to need a design for the headers, plus a permit (unless you live somewhere with no building codes). I had a colleague get a 12 foot bearing wall removed and a header installed in her kitchen, cost about $4,000. Course that is MA, I have no idea where you live, local cost of labor etc.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 125

Not a GC But I thinks it's too cheap. Removing a 12 foot bearing wall is not trivial. The load on the bearing wall needs to be calculated, then suitable beam needs to be determined and then you need to make sure the structure members the beam is resting on can properly support and distribute the load. Usually a temp wall needs to be constructed which means removing sheet ceiling sheet rock and floor covering if the exist.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,382

Just no way any websites going to do anything but come up with a bunch of useless guesses on this one.
No way would I be counting on any GC doing the job without signed approved plans from an engineered.
gdc (03-03-2015), jagans (03-05-2015), Windows on Wash (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 32

I appreciate the input.

I dont expect there to be any permits... Ive had some work done by different places, some offered to pull permits if I wanted them to (and pay for it). The guy has positive referrals, not sure what his abilities are to survey the engineering demands are. It sounds like the price is right, its whether the job will be done right. Ill have to feel that out tomorrow.
bauerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 540

You are assuming many things, but have a specific quote. Is this from a phone conversation, or was he in the house? If not, the quote is for labor and/or standard lumber only and the second guy is probably just a helper, sweep up, hold the other end of the beam, etc. He probably wasn't even thinking of what foundation is going to hold up the 12' beam. Good referral could be for general maintenance and not structural changes.
But support studs can be returned to homedepot, you dump the garbage, attic only 2x6 joists and somehow the load points are right there already, your gc is young optimist, winter labor cost sometimes gets lowered, he wants your referral/future work, you patch the floor, you do the electric work, you do anything else, if there is pipe or duct, he'll rip it out and you left with how to reconnect, if he reconnects the cost can double-triple...

I suggest caution, get at least 2 more quotes. Local lumber yard can be a source for referral. Any construction going up now? If totally stuck, take a look at Angies list. I never used that site - I am saying use your imagination. Don't be in a hurry to spend your money, plan ahead.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 312

http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/how-mu...s-here-127914/
Old 03-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 890

Quote:
I dont expect there to be any permits...
You want a load bearing wall removed and do not expect a permit ????

I would throw throw contractor out for suggesting he would remove the load bearing wall without one.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-06-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #9
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,220

I do not see how anyone can give a price that would cover this work without knowing for a fact what they are dealing with. No offense, but if you are capable of doing drywall and trim work you should be able to tell whether your walls are load bearing or not. Removing load bearing walls requires temporary adequate support, proper engineering (which usually is not that complicated) and the installation of proper headers and trimmers to carry the implied loads to your footings. As the others have said, it does not make sense to do this without the advice of an engineer.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,236

To do a job of this magnitude without a licensed contractor, who would never put his license on the line for a job like this without a permit. And the permit would call for engineered drawings is nuts.
Advertisement