Vermont Syrup - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree13Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,756
Rewards Points: 2,512
Default

Vermont Syrup


How's the Vermont Maple Syrup harvest looking this year. I'm out and been out for awhile and when I'm out I get grumpy. That Griffin's and Aunt Jemima from the super market just doesn't get it.
Startingover likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 8,851
Rewards Points: 1,778
Default

Re: Vermont Syrup


Ayuh,.... Trivia question,... Do ya know where the largest percentage of Vermont Maple syrup comes from,..??
Maple trees in northern NYS,....

Anyways,....
The condition have been Great 'round here,...
The guy up the road strung his tap lines back in January, because of the wild temp swings,...
He's been, 'n is still boilin',...
1 of my truck drivers lives next door, 'n get's me a quart whenever I ask for 1,...
Tom helps 'im run the sugar shack,...
I Love the light amber,....
Had some of last years on french toast Sunday mornin',...
ZZZZZ, Yodaman and dd57chevy like this.
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
Member
 
ZZZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Middle of nowhere, AZ
Posts: 8,058
Rewards Points: 2,836
Default

Re: Vermont Syrup


That "syrup" from the grocery store is as phony as a $3 bill. It's a concoction created in chemistry lab, loaded with artificial crap like high fructose corn syrup.

I'm a native New Englander but nowadays I just go with a couple of pats of butter. No liquid sugar of any kind.
.
.
__________________
Just my 7 cents (2 cents after taxes and inflation).
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,756
Rewards Points: 2,512
Default

Re: Vermont Syrup


Is this Kirkland from Costco acceptable? A consumer report rating for what that's worth.
Attached Images
 
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #5
Usually Confused
 
lenaitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,329
Rewards Points: 214
Default

Re: Vermont Syrup


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZ View Post
That "syrup" from the grocery store is as phony as a $3 bill.
Ni kidding. I can't stomach that stuff anymore. At this stage in my life I deserve to treat myself: real maple syrup, single malt whisky and a real (non-water saver) shower.

Our taps started up here a few weeks ago although I don't know how the temperature swings have affected flow. A neighbour taps the trees along our concession road.
chrisn and MTN REMODEL LLC like this.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (03-08-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 03:52 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 8,299
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Re: Vermont Syrup


Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Is this Kirkland from Costco acceptable? A consumer report rating for what that's worth.
Not at all, get the real deal.
http://vermontmaple.org/nutritional-information/

I used to get the stuff from Sam's club(made in Canada), not even close flavor wise.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,756
Rewards Points: 2,512
Default

Re: Vermont Syrup


Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Ni kidding. I can't stomach that stuff anymore. At this stage in my life I deserve to treat myself: real maple syrup, single malt whisky and a real (non-water saver) shower.

Our taps started up here a few weeks ago although I don't know how the temperature swings have affected flow. A neighbour taps the trees along our concession road.
We take that we consider the best we can get just as you would like to take the best corn you can get that we grow, if you eat corn or corn products.

I'm kind of stuck with what is available to order. I have Oak, Walnut and American Elm trees and some other maples that were imported to fill the gutters with little whirrlies and maple tree sprouts, so since like the taste of Kirkland it looks as if that's the one.

I've tried none of the others that have corn syrup and all the nasty stuff added. USDA approved is the best I have to go on and the Kirkland label reads 100% pure maple syrup.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
Member
 
ZZZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Middle of nowhere, AZ
Posts: 8,058
Rewards Points: 2,836
Default

Re: Vermont Syrup


Chelsea Clinton made spinach pancakes a couple of days ago for National Pancake Day.

Not even pure Vermont Maple Syrup would make those things taste good. They look like some kind of alien fungus got to them



.
.
__________________
Just my 7 cents (2 cents after taxes and inflation).

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 03-09-2017 at 10:28 AM.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #9
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 10,222
Rewards Points: 90
Default

Re: Vermont Syrup


Ugh! Not sure which one of them is uglier😜

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk
Bondo, Msradell, ZZZZZ and 1 others like this.
__________________
My electrical answers are based on 2014 NEC, you may have local amendments.

Location: Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #10
Property Mgt/Maint
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 5,906
Rewards Points: 7,058
Default

Re: Vermont Syrup


pretty sure I have cleaned those out the gutters
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 8,851
Rewards Points: 1,778
Default

Re: Vermont Syrup


Quote:
I'm kind of stuck with what is available to order.
Ayuh,.... Feel free to call the Massey farm,...
I'm guessin' they'll gladly sell ya all the fresh 100% Maple Syrup ya wanta buy,....
(Just called Tom, the Lady of the farm(Amanda) is most usually home, 'n he's also quite sure they'll gladly ship syrup to ya, though shippin' will obviously be more)
Shawn, 'n Amanda Massey
The Massey Ranch
20605 Combs Rd.
Watertown, Ny 13601
315-786-2050(I'd keep it durin' daylight hours, as they Are farmers)

Talkin' to Tom, the goin' rate this season is $49.00 a gallon, for light amber,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
Usually Confused
 
lenaitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,329
Rewards Points: 214
Default

Re: Vermont Syrup


Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
We take that we consider the best we can get just as you would like to take the best corn you can get that we grow, if you eat corn or corn products.

I'm kind of stuck with what is available to order. I have Oak, Walnut and American Elm trees and some other maples that were imported to fill the gutters with little whirrlies and maple tree sprouts, so since like the taste of Kirkland it looks as if that's the one.

I've tried none of the others that have corn syrup and all the nasty stuff added. USDA approved is the best I have to go on and the Kirkland label reads 100% pure maple syrup.
Costco online says that it is Canadian sourced (its also for sale on Amazon - I didn't think Costco would do that with their house brand). They also sell it in 55lb pails - of course they do, its Costco. Canadian and US grading systems are different but you may find a dark amber to be a little stronger flavoured. As far as I am concerned, in relation to maple syrup, "certified organic" is a hook. It's extracted from a natural crop. I never heard of a sugar bush that is managed like a cultivated crop.

There is a cottage industry in Alberta and Alaska that harvests birch syrup. I've not had it but apparently it is quite dark and heavily flavoured. Its 'boil down' ratio is 100/150:1 versus 40:1 for maple.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:04 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 8,299
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Re: Vermont Syrup


Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Costco online says that it is Canadian sourced (its also for sale on Amazon - I didn't think Costco would do that with their house brand). They also sell it in 55lb pails - of course they do, its Costco. Canadian and US grading systems are different but you may find a dark amber to be a little stronger flavoured. As far as I am concerned, in relation to maple syrup, "certified organic" is a hook. It's extracted from a natural crop. I never heard of a sugar bush that is managed like a cultivated crop.

There is a cottage industry in Alberta and Alaska that harvests birch syrup. I've not had it but apparently it is quite dark and heavily flavoured. Its 'boil down' ratio is 100/150:1 versus 40:1 for maple.
Same with Sam's club, it does not taste as good as "Vermont" brand
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:06 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 8,299
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Re: Vermont Syrup


Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
We take that we consider the best we can get just as you would like to take the best corn you can get that we grow, if you eat corn or corn products.

I'm kind of stuck with what is available to order. I have Oak, Walnut and American Elm trees and some other maples that were imported to fill the gutters with little whirrlies and maple tree sprouts, so since like the taste of Kirkland it looks as if that's the one.

I've tried none of the others that have corn syrup and all the nasty stuff added. USDA approved is the best I have to go on and the Kirkland label reads 100% pure maple syrup.
Sure about that? They are pretty much all gone in the US from Dutch elm disease.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #15
Usually Confused
 
lenaitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,329
Rewards Points: 214
Default

Re: Vermont Syrup


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Same with Sam's club, it does not taste as good as "Vermont" brand
Ah. Must be special American maple trees.
jlhaslip likes this.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brick pavers over concrete pad in cold Vermont beardie Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 03-29-2012 11:36 PM
Hi from Vermont sweeneyr1 New Member Introductions 2 11-14-2011 07:33 PM
Insulating options with Attic trusses (in Vermont) vtboy51 Building & Construction 0 09-26-2011 12:52 PM
Using Vermont Casting Intrepid II? 1parkpointer General DIY Discussions 0 12-04-2010 11:36 PM
Good afternoon from Vermont Jason W New Member Introductions 6 08-08-2009 07:38 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts