Vented Sofit - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 7,626

vented sofit

Anyone aware of a vinyl vented sofit that has 8 sq inches NFVA per foot and still only 1/2" thick. The vendors I have checked with are coming back with 6" NFVA in a 1/2" product. I currently have in place triple 4 center vent that is only rated at 2" per ft but 1/2 thick. Hoping to replace without re-wrapping the fascia.

FYI - Moisture in my vaulted rafter bays has me evaluating the vents

Last edited by Yodaman; 03-10-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,384

A triple vent should be more then enough if all the other parts involved are done correctly.
Storm and ice shield under the shingles, proper amount or roof venting, air seal attic, proper amount of insulation, baffles to allow air flow from the soffits to the roof vents.
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
Property Mgt/Maint

Thanks for responding Joe, I read somewhere that a 40/60 split in the ridge/sofit NFVA is better than the typical 50/50. Since I need to replace, that is what I was shooting for. I have 11" NFVA at the ridge which would mean 5.5 required from each sofit to achieve the 50/50. So the standard full vent will get me there. I was just curious if there was anything else available.

Regarding the moisture, I have 1 1/2" x full width, sealed cavities running full length from wall to ridge using proper vent (egg shell) sealed to the rafters. Nothing is blocked. Rafters are only 2 x 6 so I
used R19 unfaced with a 1" foam w/foil sheathing also sealed,
totaling R25.
It is a little light for my region. The moisture came from leaving
unfaced behind behind the knee wall in the crawl space.
I did a test the other day by sealing the unfaced w/ 6mil poly
and after 24 hr still had a little moisture. So I want to address the vents first then seal w/ poly. I was able to dry the bays by pushing 2 furring strips into each cavity and then rotating 90 degrees to allow air passage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
Property Mgt/Maint

I found a product by Georgia Pacific that has 14.34 sq inches of NFVA per foot. I am still a little perplexed because it looks identical to competitors
products that list about 6" per ft. Its the standard triple 4 full vent. Purchased it today at Lowes and started to install today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement