Travertine Tile Chip. What To Do? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 2 Post By firehawkmph

Old 11-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 132

Travertine Tile Chip. What to do?

Hey all, any recommendations for fixing this chip in a travertine tile that I have?
I figure I can fill it with something that will make it hardly noticeable. I know its a porus rock, and it already has holes filled with a tannish colored something.

jeffdoesrepairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,338

Re: Travertine Tile Chip. What to do?

Never had a hole like this, but you may find a compatible colored grout and force it into the hold and smooth it out a little and let it harden. Travertine is porous and the grout won't turn out shiny.
ZZZZZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #3

Yeah I thought of using grout, but as you said it won't match. There is surely some filler out there made for this, just not sure what.

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,586

Those lighter color spots on the tile is where it's been filled at the factory. Go to a real tile shop and they will have several manufacturer's lines of grout. You should be able to find something that will match the lighter color. Only other thing I can think of is if you have a piece of leftover matching tile, crunch some up and mix it in a clear two part epoxy and fill the hole with it. Smooth it off and when it's dry you can sand it flat with normal sandpaper on an orbital sander with finer grit paper and blend it in. 5 minute epoxy works well for repairs like this.
Mike Hawkins
ClarenceBauer and ChuckF. like this.
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 11,086

Even mixing in the chips, I think the epoxy will be light, but I agree with the epoxy suggestion. I would dab some paint over it. That should hide pretty easily.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #6

Sweet thanks guys. I even talked to a friend and he had suggested the same thing - epoxy mixed with some ground up remains of the tile.

My only hesitation is that the tile pieces I kept are full & un-broken pieces, and I may want to use them on a small entryway or something someday.

There is a lot of gold (wood filler colored) filling that is very hard in a lot of the larger natural holes in the tile that came from the manufacturer, and you don't even notice it. Is it possible to buy epoxy coloring, or something that works well to color epoxy besides spending an hour in the garage breaking and grinding the stuff?

For the epoxy, is the epoxy dual tube from the home depot the best thing to use? Like the squirt tubes? Or is there something specifically suited for tile or jobs like this? I assume the manufacturer has some known filler that they use - I would think it could be bought somewhere, or at least known what exactly it is. I'm not against buying the mix-tubes, just curious to compare it against what is normally used to fill travertine tile --> still unknown.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,586

You could use the twin tube epoxy like you mentioned. The five minute epoxy I use is from my local Woodcraft store. I think either would work fine, it dries very hard but is still relatively easy to sand. I would screed it off with a nylon kitchen scraper or something similar so you don't leave a big lump of it on there. The other thing you could do is check with a local granite shop. They are able to mix up all kinds of color's when's they install or repair granite tops. Might be able to catch one of those guys on the side and have him do it.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,068

If you're gonna dab some paint over it as suggested, it doesn't really matter so much what color the repair is!
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:19 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 11,086

I think all the liquid epoxy's are pretty much the same. I does not matter the brand, or if it comes in tubes vs syringe.

They make some with steel fillers, or in putty form. But I don't think this is a good application for those.

If you google "epoxy pigments" you will get lots of hits. But choosing a matching color over the internet is going to be tough. I still think you will end up dabbing a little paint over it.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chip , repair , tile , travertine