Stainless Steel Appliance Got Grout Cleaner On It! - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Exclamation

Stainless Steel Appliance got grout cleaner on it!

I got some grout cleaner on my stainless steel oven door and refrigerator door.

I tried dish soap and water = did not work
I tried vinegar = did not work
I tried Steel Meister Spot Cleaner = did not work

I have found a scratch remover kit, but it specifies that it can only be used on NON COATED materials. How do i know if my appliances are coated or true stainless steel?

They're whirlpool brand. I cannot locate the model number for the oven.
But the refrigerator is WRS965CIAM01 (they are obviously part of the same set, so what is true for one will likely be true for the other).

I would like to try a stainless steel scratch remover kit (to try to buff out the "acid" marks) but the directions say that "the kit is only designed for non-coated stainless steel surfaces. No not use on any other surfaces".

With all this in mind, how do i know if my appliances are coated or not? Do you have any other ideas I should try to fix this?

My wife is going to be furious if I cannot fix this. Thanks in advance.
ckbenson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Call Whirlpool technical help line---they should have the answer----and might have a product that is safe to use on the machines.
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,484

I believe the coated appliances are the "fingerprint proof" ones.
Does it get fingerprints easy? If so it's probably not coated. Try a magnet on it as well.

Now, the bad news. I work with stainless and it's a PITA.
As soon as you rub some kind of abrasive pad on it, you're basically "sanding" it. If you make one slip off on an angle, this will take about .2 seconds. To correct that slip will take about an hour of exact straight back and forth polishing.

Next problem comes when you notice the grain is different only where you rubbed. To fix this you will need to rub out the whole door, side panel ect, to match that spot with different grain that you just created. Remember the slip I mentioned? Imagine doing the whole door without slipping?

If you're quite steady, anything is possible though.

It may be easier to just run from the wife instead of trying to polish it out, ha.
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 286

Have the grout cleaner with you when you call Whirlpool.They might ask what's in it.As pugsy says,No Abrasives!
flhtcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #5

a magnet does in fact work on it. so this means it is a coated product? as far as sanding i'm very steady and can do precision work with my hands. But the product i have says it will not work on coated products.

so yes it fingerprints easily, but the magnet also worked?
Old 01-21-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 125

If a magnet sticks it's very low grade stainless steel. May or may not be coated.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,332

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01 View Post
If a magnet sticks it's very low grade stainless steel. May or may not be coated.

If the magnet sticks then it is possibly a 400 series grade of stainless. The "myth" that there are "low" grades of stainless is just that. All stainless, in fact all steels are specific for the task they are manufactured for. An improperly spec'ed material for the task will not perform properly and is often regarded as low grade when in fact it is the wrong grade. 400 series stainless steel has a higher carbon content which allows for heat treat hardening if needed. 300 series stainless have a very low % of carbon such that it is not magnetic. There are also some grades of 300 series that will be slightly magnetic. My understanding is that when they first started to make stainless appliances, no magnets would stick to them. This upset a lot of people who wanted their art galleries back. The manufacturers started to comply and started to use a grade of stainless that has a higher carbon content.

As for the OP's question, I have one for you. Exactly what did the grout cleaner do to the finish? I am guessing that it changed the finish. If so I doubt you have a coated surface. As 123pugsy indicated, I too work with stainless as my day job (27 years). We generally mirror polish ours but we do some satin and brushed finish as well. The big problem as he mentioned is going to be matching the finish pattern the manufacture used. If you could find out what material and grade/grit they used then you may be able to repair it.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbenson02 View Post
a magnet does in fact work on it. so this means it is a coated product? as far as sanding i'm very steady and can do precision work with my hands. But the product i have says it will not work on coated products.

so yes it fingerprints easily, but the magnet also worked?

I was thinking maybe it's possible to plate a door skin, but , nah, they would never do that.

I would call as mentioned to find out if your model has a coating but I doubt it. Ask them if it is indeed stainless.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
This upset a lot of people who wanted their art galleries back. .

Exactly. I had to skin the 2 sides of the new fridge the wife bought with 430 stainless.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,249

It depends on what you purchased. My WP fridge I bought 3 years ago is the non-fingerprinty type, but the rest of the set isn't and wasn't an option. If I recall, a year or so later they had it available to the other appliances.
NickTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #11

thanks guys. the grout cleaner must have splashed up a little bit when i was scrubbing or when i was rinsing the floor with a wet rag. either way you see " water spots" but they are significantly darker than the surface.

Our surfaces look to be a horizontal brushed pattern. They are not shiny or dull. Simply like a brushed steel look. The "kit" i bought comes wit 3 different sanding grades.

Your responses have given me some hope since it may be possible to try to buff this out.

Thanks a ton fellas. Hopefully this can be repaired "well enough" to be presentable.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #12
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Post back with results and any tips for others reading this thread.
Advertisement

Tags
cleaning stainless steel , coated stainless steel , remove stains , uncoated stainless steel , whirlpool