Sound In Wall - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 84

Sound in wall

We recently purchased a lake house that had been empty for 5 years and not updated since it was built in 1974. Last night I stopped by to check on the heat and heard a hissing noise in the wall. The sound is coming from the bathroom wall and can be heard in the bath, in the kitchen on the opposite side of the wall, in the bath below and even outside the house. Now, let's make this interesting. The bathroom is current gutted and the water lines have been completely removed. Further, the sound continues after the water has been shut off and the pressure drained (be opening a basement faucet).

The area of the house the noise can be found is also the entrance for the water, AC and electrical. And sound almost sounds more like an air leak than water. Further, there are no signs of water anywhere and the bath walls stripped to the studs and the basement bath (directly below) without a ceiling, I would think water would be seen somewhere.

Ideas???
jmyers63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,550

What other systems are running? If you turn off all power does it stop? If it does turn off individual breakers until you find the one controlling it.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #3

I didn't check anything else out last night. It was cold and I was confused. I know none of the heaters were running (electric baseboards), and only one light was on. And I specifically shut down the breakers for the AC as it was my first thought. I'll being going down there again this weekend, so any ideas on what to check would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2014, 01:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,796

What if it's a water leak.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6,712

Sewer lines out and capped?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #6

The sewer lines are not capped from the vanity connections. The toilet flange just has a rag shoved in it. The sound is louder away from the vanity lines, but I'll check all of them this weekend. Sewer is an option because the wind was very strong when I was there, but I'm not sure it would have carried the sound outside the structure.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Main vent on the roof can create some resonance I suppose if its windy enough.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 286

I read a story about a problem like this one time. Womans basement or crawl space was infested with thousands of snakes!
flhtcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #9
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhtcu View Post
I read a story about a problem like this one time. Womans basement or crawl space was infested with thousands of snakes!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #10

Why suggestions, you need to investigate where and what it is.
What is this some kind of research for an article.?
Old 11-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #11

Sorry ron45. Not knowing what to look for, I thought this might be a good source of suggestions to start my investigation. It's obvious with your posting that I'm wasting your time, and probably that of others as well; and for that I apologize. Please have the moderator remove this thread and I'll delete my membership and look for another source of assistance that is geared toward my level of expertise.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmyers63 View Post
Sorry ron45. Not knowing what to look for, I thought this might be a good source of suggestions to start my investigation. It's obvious with your posting that I'm wasting your time, and probably that of others as well; and for that I apologize. Please have the moderator remove this thread and I'll delete my membership and look for another source of assistance that is geared toward my level of expertise.
No. Don't let one person ruin it for you. You're thread is appropriate. ron45 clearly didn't read the entire thread, otherwise he would have seen this:

Quote:
I'll being going down there again this weekend, so any ideas on what to check would be appreciated.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r0ckstarr For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (11-26-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 79

Yes, there are many people in this forum that are rather rude. The reason why I left a while ago and just now came back to see if anything had changed. Apparently it hasn't. I'm dealing with the same bull in my own thread. There are a lot of good folks too though with good advice.

Anyways, like previously posted, it could be your sewer vent? Was it a windy day? I'm assuming so because you said it was cold. You also said the bathroom was gutted, was the toilet and sink drain plugged? If not the wind across the vent on your roof could be pulling a vacuum through the drain lines. If the water traps aren't filled with water or completely drained the air flow could be whistling as it passes through the narrow gap? Just a guess. You can try plugging the drains to see if it stops.
Dwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dwillems For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (11-26-2014), Nailbags (11-22-2014), Startingover (11-25-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 11:44 PM   #14

My comment was not rude nor out of line. If you hear a constant hiss in your walls or anywhere in your house, you need find out what is. The problem can be minor and doesn't matter, to dangerous or even fatal.
For instance, what happens when there is a gas leak in a semi confined space and swirling around, then begins to create static electricity.?
Old 11-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 626

Quote:
We recently purchased a lake house that had been empty for 5 years and not updated since it was built in 1974. Last night I stopped by to check on the heat and heard a hissing noise in the wall. The sound is coming from the bathroom wall and can be heard in the bath, in the kitchen on the opposite side of the wall, in the bath below and even outside the house. Now, let's make this interesting. The bathroom is current gutted and the water lines have been completely removed. Further, the sound continues after the water has been shut off and the pressure drained (be opening a basement faucet).

The area of the house the noise can be found is also the entrance for the water, AC and electrical. And sound almost sounds more like an air leak than water. Further, there are no signs of water anywhere and the bath walls stripped to the studs and the basement bath (directly below) without a ceiling, I would think water would be seen somewhere.

Ideas???
I don't think it is water leak like you said. It could be a in your hvac system more then likely.
I owned a home that it would sound like water running i checked the whole pluming system. Could not find a leak any where. Found out before i bought the place the neighbor spliced in to my water line and was using my water. Fixed that problem fast. Good luck finding the problem i would start with any copper coils in your heating and cooling system first.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement