Slab Leak! Insurance Paid, Happened Again! - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By joed
  • 1 Post By jomama45
  • 1 Post By Bud9051

Old 11-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Slab leak! Insurance paid, happened again!

Hello,

Looking for a little advice. We had a slab leak and the insurance paid out to replace our floors and moldings and to pay for a hotel during repairs. We then ended up being able to salvage the floors by drying them. They are machined wood. The floors looked fine so we were able to keep the floors. Now we have another slab leak and the floors may not be salvageable. Will insurance pay to replace the floors again even though we didn't replace them? What do we say/do with the insurance company at this point? Any advice is much appreciated!

Someone has told me that since they already paid for the floors they will not pay again unless we replaced them. My thought is they would pay the same amount if we did go ahead and replace so why not now?
bspahn1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 30,134

Re: Slab leak! Insurance paid, happened again!

Only your insurance company can answer that for sure. I would expect that if they kept collecting premiums from you, then they should cover the loss.

Are you saying they paid money to you the first time that you did not spend on the repairs? If that is true and they know about it, then they may not pay out again as it was fraud the first time.
Bondo, Msradell, Bud9051 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by joed; 11-28-2017 at 08:12 PM.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspahn1985 View Post
What do we say/do with the insurance company at this point? Any advice is much appreciated!
What you tell them is completely up to you, but personally, I've found honesty to work out fairly well for me for the last 39 years or so........
Bondo likes this.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2017, 12:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,740

Sounds to me like you will need to take care of this one on your own dime and unfortunately all future ones. One, they paid you to replace the floor and you didn't and I bet there was a lot of fine print dealing with that. Two, too many claims may result in your insurance being canceled, which can affect your ability to get future coverage. Note, your mortgage company requires you to carry insurance and without it they can require you to pay off that loan. A can of worms you don't want to open.

Use your own money to replace the floor and if you have a third event then you can at least say you replaced the floor with their money, you just needed time to select the one you wanted.

Bud
Bondo likes this.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,384

Sounds to me like it's time to bite the bullet and invest in re-routing your water.
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
california , insurance , replace floors , slab leak , water damage