Sistering Cracked Or Cracking 2x10s - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 04-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Sistering cracked or cracking 2x10s

Hi folks, not wanting to encroach on daveb289 "sistering LVL to solid" thread, I'll rather start my own.

I recently bought a 35 year old house, which was in great condition at the onset, through the initial rose tinted glasses.... I've spent countless hours doubling up on 2x4 studs and adding short horizontal 2x4 pieces between them in the unfinished basement(not sure what the technical term is for these short horizontal 2x4 pieces which push out the buckle)

I've now moved on to the 2x10 joists, longest ones are 16'. These 16' ones at least I have been able to sister up nicely and bolt and glue together, not without some pirate talk and good old blood, sweet and tears!

Here's my question: Some of my 2x10's length of about 14' are underneath my tiled kitchen. Naturally no other room gets as much foot traffic as the kitchen. It is also the entrance from the garage of course. I have been unable to slide in a solid 14' 2x14 as I was able to do with the 16' 2x10 elsewhere, due to numerous plumbing related obstacles in my way. So what I did was I cut the 2x10 more or less in half at a 45deg angle and then slid it in to position, both ends rest on walls. I then 'sealed over' the 45deg join with a 3 or 4ft 2x10 and lots of glue and nails. What's your thoughts on this process? I realize the best would have been to remove all pipes and not cut the 2x10, but in lieu of that, what do you think?

Next step is to add more cross or block bridging, that will continue the coming few days.
OrangeDIY is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,258

Re: Sistering cracked or cracking 2x10s

Good work on doubling the 16 ft room, bridging or solid blocking can be just a 2x4 at the bottom of the bay no more than 7 ft apart, so I would do that at 5, 5, 5,

The kitchen, the better question is, how do you feel about it. If your not happy there is more you can do.
Windows on Wash likes this.
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Good work on doubling the 16 ft room, bridging or solid blocking can be just a 2x4 at the bottom of the bay no more than 7 ft apart, so I would do that at 5, 5, 5,
Thanks Nealtw, I was planning on doing cross bridging with a 1x3 furring strip. It should help with the flex. At one particularly bad spot I added a few blocks already and the whole floor feels like a concrete floor. Sounds like you are saying I might get the same benefit from a 2x4 horizontally placed in the bay....I guess I could give it a try. For the bad spot I used my car jack to open up the joists another fraction then I hammered in a block, very tightly. I did loosen the floorboards slightly but once my subfloor repairs are done I will be lifting the tiles and carpet above, installing a 5mm plywood underlayment, screw everything down and lay engineered bamboo flooring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
The kitchen, the better question is, how do you feel about it. If your not happy there is more you can do.
It so much better already, the china cabinet in the next room now dances half as much when the kids runs through the kitchen. But I will certainly be stiffening it more.
OrangeDIY is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeDIY View Post
Thanks Nealtw, I was planning on doing cross bridging with a 1x3 furring strip. It should help with the flex. At one particularly bad spot I added a few blocks already and the whole floor feels like a concrete floor. Sounds like you are saying I might get the same benefit from a 2x4 horizontally placed in the bay....I guess I could give it a try. For the bad spot I used my car jack to open up the joists another fraction then I hammered in a block, very tightly. I did loosen the floorboards slightly but once my subfloor repairs are done I will be lifting the tiles and carpet above, installing a 5mm plywood underlayment, screw everything down and lay engineered bamboo flooring.

It so much better already, the china cabinet in the next room now dances half as much when the kids runs through the kitchen. But I will certainly be stiffening it more.
A 2x4 between the joists is far better than a strap As the floor flexes the nails thru the strapping just make bigger holes in the strapping.
Snap a chalk line where you want them and stagger every other one on each side of the line.

In the kitchen I would put one on each end of the scab you put in.

The proper length of theses blocks is the average of the space on both ends but with the floor already installed just cut them to fit the space as is where they are going.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeDIY View Post
I did loosen the floorboards slightly but once my subfloor repairs are done I will be lifting the tiles and carpet above, installing a 5mm plywood underlayment, screw everything down and lay engineered bamboo flooring.
So I always like to ask the thought process question that is of no help at this point... You stated that you had to cut the 14' joists to get them into position, which I understand tight spaces and constraints of retro fitting in joists... But if you were planning on tearing the tile floor and carpet up anyway, why didn't you just remove the sub floor and drop the 14' joists in from the top?

Anyway... As for the way you cut the 45... My solution might be too fancy for joists hidden away under your sub floor, but you should look up some old barn tber framing joinery - like a scarf joint, or half lap scarf joint, or my favorite - the stopped-splayed wedged scarf joint. All of these techniques were used to build old houses and barns (which can still be standing today) when long beams were needed but not available. Again, too fancy for a joist - but it might trigger some thoughts of not just using a 45 next time.
Brian Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement