Shower Pan Advice - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2016, 04:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 160

Shower pan advice

Due to ongoing moisture and mold issues that have built up over many years from inside a small standup shower, I have decided to go ahead and tear out the walls to the studs, make repairs as necessary, then install new backerboard and re-tile everything.

As far as the shower floor I intend to replace the old pan liner as well. There is currently mosaic tile on the floor that has cracked in places, so it will be easy to remove once I get a few pieces off. Then I'll remove the old mud bed and liner.

My question is this: Providing I see no obvious damage to the concrete preslope once I remove the old liner (the preslope is installed over a concrete floor) can I just install the new liner and then simply put in a new top mud bed? The reason being, if there is no damage to the preslope, it would save a lot of time and hassle in having to remove it, and then replacing it from scratch.

Just thinking off the top of my head on this one and wondering if this would be a natural way of doing things providing the old preslope is in good condition. Or is my thinking way off base?

Thanks.
ggano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 8,420

Re: Shower pan advice

If the mud pan is intact, it should be able to be reused.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2016, 06:23 PM   #3

Thanks, I was hoping for that answer! Now I hope the preslope is indeed in good shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #4

Good luck finding a preslope on an old shower.
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 18

In my rental properties (built in late 60s) for the stall shower base, they used a lead pan under the sloped wetbed. All 800 or so row homes in this development were built this way. I own 7 of them and have walked through probably 100 more in the last 7 or 8 years. In every single home i see the ceiling in the downstairs living room repaired under these shower stalls. Perhaps they were plumbing leaks in some cases, but i believe the majority of them were due to cracks or other failure in the lead pan. I always rip them out to the subfloor and replace it with a 4 piece shower base and surround. If you want to tile the walls, you would only need the base. If you want a wetbed tile base i have seen a screed system in magazines that supposedly makes it easy to pour a new sloped base. If you need that information post back and i will try to get you the name.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #6

The house was built in 1970 and we have lived here for 10 years. I am not sure if the shower is "original equipment" or may have been upgraded at some point. Except for the tile mold along the bottom foot or so of tile, and the floor itself, the remaining white tile is in good shape with little noticeable discoloration. Which leads me to believe it was re-done at some point.

If worse comes to worse I will go down to the concrete floor and build everything back up (ugh!). With that in mind, I remember reading somewhere a while back about proper preparation of the concrete floor before laying the preslope. Can anyone advise on this aspect in case I need to build the preslope as well? Tks.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 18

Google Mark E Goof Proof shower if you decide to re-do the shower floor.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:53 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 134

You could take a look at Schluter as well. Lots of training videos you'll get some points from and they sell pre-sloped product as well, like Mark E.

Kerdi Board system will ensure you have a water tight envelope when you re-tile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement