Shower Enclosure Leaks - Caulk? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Shower Enclosure Leaks - Caulk?

I have two leaks coming from my shower enclosure, one on each end of the metal track along the base of the glass frame. The wick holes on the inside of the frame are open, but there is caulk where the track meets the tile. Is this caulk preventing water from draining out of the track? Should I remove this caulk? A tile contractor wants to rip out the wall behind the shower and/or the shower pan to check for leaks. This seems excessive. Comments? Thanks.
Handyjoenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 469

If the tile is installed right you normally just caulk the outside of the metal track and the bottom corners where the tracks meet
Jnaas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 332
Send a message via Yahoo to curtd

Handyjoenc if you say hello to anybody on this site or post 4 more posts you will be able to upload some pics. I believe 5 posts minimum are needed to do this. As it stands now you are better to tell if the caulking is hindering the water than us
curtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 558

The drain holes are a joke and usually don't drain the track completely. Your track is probably bowed so that water pools to the corners and is draining through failed caulk/seal in the corners.
The tile guy may be seeing damaged grout or caulk and guessing the underlayment is damaged by now, but repair is not always necessary/affordable. I'd take the shower doors/track off. Remove old caulk and dry out the joint. A week is recommended if you see water behind old caulk. You can always water proof the joint with gorilla tape to use the tub. Redo the grout in the area, redo the corner caulk and reinstall the track.
Sometimes the tub itself is the problem. It may not be level and the top surface may not drain into the tub. Adjust with the track.
I like osi quad caulk better than the silicon, although osi does not make clear caulk. Whatever the caulk, you must have clean, dry surface. For final prep, I clean the surface with alcohol, but even that needs around 15 min drying time.
You can drill more/bigger drain holes.
Since the time is on your side, you can go the extra step: install the tracks, tape off on 2 sides for caulk, remove tracks, caulk under where the tracks will go, then reinstall the tracks. This leaves more caulk under the tracks and tape is insurance against squeeze out. Continuous bead from the bottom track to the side tracks. Sqeeze little caulk into the install screw holes.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 582

picture is worth 1000 words....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement