DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (https://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (https://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   Shed kit (https://www.diychatroom.com/f2/shed-kit-655011/)

JustA_dude 03-08-2019 12:04 PM

Shed kit
 
Howdy y'all !



I am considering to buy:


https://www.bjs.com/product/shelter-...00000000873088


Any thoughts about "the good, the bad and the ugly" about that kit?


Also - any ideas how much it would cost to get composite walls for that frame?

joed 03-08-2019 12:39 PM

Re: Shed kit
 
Never used anything like that.
All I can say as someone who can cut miters etc. I would not use it. I seems to be made for someone who has zero experience cutting wood or building anything. I have no idea how strong or sturdy it would be.

Nealtw 03-08-2019 01:01 PM

Re: Shed kit
 
So you know that kit is just 20 pieces of metal.

Nealtw 03-08-2019 01:07 PM

Re: Shed kit
 
You don't need the ones at the bottom of the studs.
https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-90192.../dp/B000E3XNC0

JustA_dude 03-08-2019 01:42 PM

Re: Shed kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by joed (Post 5786555)
Never used anything like that.
All I can say as someone who can cut miters etc. I would not use it. I seems to be made for someone who has zero experience cutting wood or building anything. I have no idea how strong or sturdy it would be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nealtw (Post 5786589)
You don't need the ones at the bottom of the studs.
https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-90192.../dp/B000E3XNC0


Thanks for clarifications !!! I must've misread and thought that it does come with wood for framing :sad:

Nealtw 03-08-2019 01:49 PM

Re: Shed kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustA_dude (Post 5786613)
Thanks for clarifications !!! I must've misread and thought that it does come with wood for framing :sad:

That is not to say it is a bad deal and it would make it build much easier than learning all the math.

joed 03-08-2019 05:36 PM

Re: Shed kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustA_dude (Post 5786613)
Thanks for clarifications !!! I must've misread and thought that it does come with wood for framing :sad:

Wood to frame a shed like that is going to run you $400-$500.

HenryMac 03-08-2019 05:49 PM

Re: Shed kit
 
1 Attachment(s)
Looks like a fun project.

It is a bit misleading though. The text states:
Only straight, 90 degree cuts are required
No miters or complex measurements are needed
Yet in the photo you can clearly see that the wood members are not cut at 90 degrees. No big deal, but I just wonder what else is not as it appears?

That being said, for a guy with little to no experience, and working by himself or just one helper... those brackets would be super helpful.

We had one of those small sheds at a home we bought in the late 1990's. It was a great space.

Good luck, keep us in the loop.

JustA_dude 03-08-2019 06:07 PM

Re: Shed kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryMac (Post 5786791)
Looks like a fun project.

It is a bit misleading though. The text states:
Only straight, 90 degree cuts are required
No miters or complex measurements are needed
Yet in the photo you can clearly see that the wood members are not cut at 90 degrees. No big deal, but I just wonder what else is not as it appears?

That being said, for a guy with little to no experience, and working by himself or just one helper... those brackets would be super helpful.

We had one of those small sheds at a home we bought in the late 1990's. It was a great space.

Good luck, keep us in the loop.


i did see it... i just ignored it:wink2:
as quite often happens - those that design and build aren't those that write manuals ...

Nealtw 03-08-2019 06:21 PM

Re: Shed kit
 
I think it would work with square cuts but the picture should have showed that.

HenryMac 03-08-2019 06:53 PM

Re: Shed kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nealtw (Post 5786815)
I think it would work with square cuts ...

I totally agree... but it would be loose as a goose.

My German heritage has taught me to always build Goodntight and Hellferstout.

Nealtw 03-08-2019 06:56 PM

Re: Shed kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryMac (Post 5786843)
I totally agree... but it would be loose as a goose.

My German heritage has taught me to always build Goodntight and Hellferstout.


And here I thought you were Dutch, wooden shoes, wooden head, wouldn't listen:devil3:

HenryMac 03-08-2019 07:07 PM

Re: Shed kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by joed (Post 5786555)
Never used anything like that.
All I can say as someone who can cut miters etc. I would not use it. I seems to be made for someone who has zero experience cutting wood or building anything. I have no idea how strong or sturdy it would be.

It makes for a very strong building. Ever used hurricane ties? The brackets hold the pieces parts in position. And since nails have a tendency to loosen over time, the brackets tend to minimize that.

HenryMac 03-08-2019 07:08 PM

Re: Shed kit
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nealtw (Post 5786851)
And here I thought you were Dutch, wooden shoes, wooden head, wouldn't listen:devil3:

Opinions vary...

Drachenfire 03-08-2019 07:30 PM

Re: Shed kit
 
I suggest you just build a good old fashioned gable roof shed.

There are relatively simple to construct and plenty of videos online that show how to build one or you can get a kit starting at about $1200 for an 8'x8' model

In 2003 I built my 10'x12' shed from scratch.

If memory serves I paid about $1300 for the supplies including the gravel for the base, pier blocks and hardware. Accounting for inflation that would be about $1800-$1900 today.

It took me about 5-6 weekends to build.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.